Esteemed Contributor

When one calls, he's started to say "Guten Amend" Canst do Deutch Sprechen? and they just say "Goodbye' and hang up. That's German for Good evening - do you speak German?

Honored Contributor

Re: Telemarketers on his cell

Hi, gloriajean! It's wise not to answer calls at all if you don't recognize the caller ID, or if it's an odd ID (like your own phone number, for example).

Most of these calls are automated, scrolling through random numbers hoping someone will pick up.

If you answer, it flags your number as a "live one" and you're almost guaranteed to get more scammers' phone calls as a result of answering.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

I don't answer these calls at all on my cell. This was my husband's. He just got a kick out of it. Any out of state calls don't get answered.

Valued Contributor

We never answer any caller ID's we don't know. They can leave voicemail if they want to but even on our cells we don't give them the time of day. Most the bad calls come on our old landline though. Stupid telemarketers and criminals.

Esteemed Contributor

Good we don't have a landline anymore for a number of years. Just our two cells. Good rate with Sprint on a five family plan.