Honored Contributor

Teenager surprises 'father figure' with adoption papers!

The 18-year-old behind a viral video in which she brings her life-long ‘father figure’ to tears after asking him to adopt her has explained the story behind the heart-wrenching moment.

Lauren Hernandez, of Plainfield, Illinois, presented Joe Losco, her mother’s boyfriend of 17 years, with a box of adoption papers at her high school graduation party last month.

A video that captured Losco breaking down into tears when he realized what she was asking him went viral.

Now, the teenager has spoken out about why the moment was so special for both of them.

He has always been there for me and never been mean,’ she said when asked why she loves him so much.

'He took me to pumpkin patches and even my little cheerleader games.'

She explained that her relationship with her biological father, who also lives in Illinois, is not good.

'I tried to be a part of his life but it just never worked out,’ she said.

Her mother added: 'Joe has been in Lauren's life since she was one.

'Throughout the 17 years he has been in Lauren's life, he has done all things that a father should do for their child.

'So Lauren decided to do something Joe never expected would ever happen.'

The viral clip shows Hernandez handing Losco what appears to be a gift.

Inside, there was a framed poem she had written as well as a stack of adoption papers.

There’s a silence as he figures out what she is asking him before he turns to hug her.

THernandez gave Losco a touching poem (pictured) in a frame along with the papers

This is the first item in the box.....underneath were adoption papers!

Lauren Hernandez, the 18-year-old behind a viral video in which she brings her life-long ‘father figure’ to tears after asking him to adopt her has explained the story behind the heart-wrenching moment. They are pictured together above

More of the story and Video here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3738430/Teen-asked-father-figure-adopt-explains-story-viral-...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Teenager surprises 'father figure' with adoption papers!

WOW!  That was beautiful!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

I love this story, thanks for sharing it Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom

I have a feeling there will also a marriage..then the adoptionHeart

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

I saw that, it is a lovely story and it shows that your "father" or your "mother" is not always determined by genetics or a legal document.   A "parent" is the person who raises you and loves you and nurtures you and protects you and is always there for you.  She's a lucky girl and he's a very luck man to have such a wonderful daughter. 

Honored Contributor

Lord have mercy - that just made me cry, so hard!

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

"Losco will become Hernandez’ legal father in a few weeks when all the paperwork is finalized."

Means her bio father gave up his parental rights? 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

My deepest thanks to you @KingstonsMom for this heartwarming story. This man and her mother obviously did a wonderful job raising this beautiful, loving and thoughtful young lady. Bless her heart!

@Mz iMac I doubt anyone has to worry about her sperm donor of a bio dad fighting this since he walked out on her at the age of one. Amazing that she had a big enough heart to even try to forge a relationship with him to no avail.

He's probably too much of a jerk to truly appreciate what he has lost.

BTW, didn't she look gorgeous in her prom dress?

I wish nothing but happiness for this family.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a beautiful story.Heart

The law firm I work at had a similar case a few years ago.  A high school kid - had been accepted with a full scholarship to Yale which is a really, really big deal in a small community - and was going to be recognized in a special ceremony at the schooll.  He had been raised by a stepdad since he was an infant,, his mom was never married to his biological father.  He always wanted his stepfather's last name but his bio dad's name was on the birth certificate and he refused to allow the adoption as he was sporadically in his life.

He came and talked to the attorneys and they worked out a plan for him - he was turning 18 a month before graduatiion. At that age, in our state, he can legally change his name as long as it is not an attempt to defraud anyone.

So, we did all the paperwork (pro bono) and at graduation, when he was announced - they used his "new" name as a surprise to his stepdad.  His mother was aware as she had accompanied him to the initial consult.

His stepdad cried.  I am sure I would have, too.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"Losco will become Hernandez’ legal father in a few weeks when all the paperwork is finalized."

Means her bio father gave up his parental rights? 

I don't know about their state but in our state if a biological parent has not been in the child's life as far as visitaion for a set period of time nor paid child support - the parental rights can be terminated.