Trusted Contributor

Re: Teacher sentenced to 30 years for involvement with teenaged male students

Perhaps a tougher sentence will make someone else sick like them think twice before committing such a terrible crime. I think the sentence is appropriate.
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It's different to me, because a grown man can FORCE himself on a young girl.

An adult female typically can't overpower a teenage boy.

To me, it is different.....a minor female cannot protect herself; a teenage boy can....I don't see how a boy is harmed like a female is when she is violated by someone, simply because of the anatomy involved.

Then you need to read up about sexual assault and what it is. It's not just about overpowering someone, it's also about rape by coercion and authority. An adult woman can rape a boy or even an adult man because it's not about whether or not a rapist can overpower a victim or not.

I already know plenty about it.

I'm not talking about legal definitions, I'm talking about real life........rape is about power, it is about overpowering a person and forcing yourself on them.

A woman typically can't do that to a teenage boy.

yes, they can.   Hormones.  Your mind says no, but your body says yes.  There are cases of women who are r*ped that will climax during the r*pe.  That DOESN'T mean that they enjoyed it or they weren't r*aped

Even if a guy gets "ready for action," the female adult would still have to force herself on him - which is typically not possible.

As for your bolded comment, I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion; most women have a problem ringing their chimes when it's consensual.

Not sure how a female would climax at a time like that.

Feel free to educate me....

most women?  No, not most women.  I didn't arrive at that conclusion - there are studies out there.  I didn't say all women, I did say there are CASES - meaning studies have been done.

A female can force themselves on a male.  Yes, they can.  I am not sure why you think they cannot.

Because a 16 or 17-year-old guy is usually pretty well-developed physically.

How is she going to do anything unless he lets her?

I think a lot of people answered that question already on this thread for you, but you won't accept the answers.  I would just be repeating what they stated.

Part of growing up during your teenage years is learning to make choices.

If you go along with certain people in authority because "he/she is going flunk me unless I let them," that is a choice.

Yorkie, do you remember being a child or teen? I certainly do. Certain adults could exert very attractive power, and I'm not talking grade extortion.

Please, let's not blame the kid. The adult was at fault.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

To me, it is different.....a minor female cannot protect herself; a teenage boy can....I don't see how a boy is harmed like a female is when she is violated by someone, simply because of the anatomy involved.

Then you need to read up about sexual assault and what it is. It's not just about overpowering someone, it's also about rape by coercion and authority. An adult woman can rape a boy or even an adult man because it's not about whether or not a rapist can overpower a victim or not.

I'm not talking about legal definitions, I'm talking about real life........rape is about power, it is about overpowering a person and forcing yourself on them.

yes, they can.   Hormones.  Your mind says no, but your body says yes.  There are cases of women who are r*ped that will climax during the r*pe.  That DOESN'T mean that they enjoyed it or they weren't r*aped

Even if a guy gets "ready for action," the female adult would still have to force herself on him - which is typically not possible.

As for your bolded comment, I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion; most women have a problem ringing their chimes when it's consensual.

most women?  No, not most women.  I didn't arrive at that conclusion - there are studies out there.  I didn't say all women, I did say there are CASES - meaning studies have been done.

A female can force themselves on a male.  Yes, they can.  I am not sure why you think they cannot.

I think a lot of people answered that question already on this thread for you, but you won't accept the answers.  I would just be repeating what they stated.

If you go along with certain people in authority because "he/she is going flunk me unless I let them," that is a choice.

Yorkie, do you remember being a child or teen? I certainly do. Certain adults could exert very attractive power, and I'm not talking grade extortion.

Please, let's not blame the kid. The adult was at fault.

Of course I remember.

I'm not talking about a "kid," I'm talking about the guys in the OP, 16 or 17-year-old guys.

Blame has absolutely NOTHING to do with this.

Saying that you need to learn how to choose is not "blaming," it is recognizing that there will be situations in your life where you will be threatened or tempted and you will have to choose a path based on your convictions or ethics.

That isn't blaming.

Obviously I'm not talking about young children here.

But having to choose what you will participate in is part of life.....there is always someone around who is shady and ready to take advantage.

Honored Contributor

A teen is still not emotionally mature. That's something that we've learned from research in the past three or four decades.

Their brains are not like those of an adult. They don't process things the same and are not as conscious of risks and consequences.

But I don't I or anyone will change your mind.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

100% CORRECT!

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

A teen is still not emotionally mature. That's something that we've learned from research in the past three or four decades.

Their brains are not like those of an adult. They don't process things the same and are not as conscious of risks and consequences.

She doesn't agree with you, and I don't either. Your OPINION is not the only one that counts.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What part of this can some of you not understand?  It does NOT matter if the perpetrator is a man or a woman... it's still statutory rape.

Statutory rape is different from other types of rape in that force and lack of consent are not necessary for conviction. A defendant may be convicted of statutory rape even if the complainant explicitly consented to the sexual contact and no force was used. By contrast, other rape generally occurs when a person overcomes another person by force and without the person's consent.

The defendant's age is an important factor in statutory rape where the offense is based on the victim's age. Furthermore, a defendant may not argue that he was mistaken as to the minor's age or incapacity. Most rape statutes specify that a rape occurs when the complainant is under a certain age and the perpetrator is over a certain age.

Just to be clear, this is not my "opinion", it is fact.

Esteemed Contributor

30 years is a long time but its just not acceptable behavior to do such a thing.  She may get out earlier on good behavior. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I realize teens aren't emotionally mature.

ETA: the post above mine is so convoluted and such a misrepresentation of what I said there is no point in even trying to respond.

And no, I'm not a 16-year-old boy.

Valued Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I realize teens aren't emotionally mature.

ETA: the post above mine is so convoluted and such a misrepresentation of what I said there is no point in even trying to respond.

And no, I'm not a 16-year-old boy.

I read your postings and comprehended them fully. You essentially said that by 16-17 a teen should be old enough to make his or her own decisions - even if it may mean going off with some adult for sex.

Of course, that leaves the teen the choice not to do so.

But you're basing it on one component only: teens should be able to make a reasoned decision between right and wrong.

Of course, we'll omit the whole argument one can have in terms of how reasoning can fly out the window when hormones fly in.

But applying only your theory of ability to make a right or wrong decision, the "Age of Reason" is considered, classically, as the age of seven.

Not by 16 or 17..but by 7 a kid ought to know right from wrong or that things have consequences (whether one chooses to do something or to abstain from something).

The slippery slope that you're on is deciding its about 16-17.

An predator though will think its 7 - because a 7-yr-old can know what he or she likes or seems to be in agreement. They know what's going on.

But that's not enough. Not to know. Or be able to nod your head. One can make BAD decisions because indeed they're NOT yet truly prepared for what they only think they're consenting to.

Heck, for some they pick the magic number of 16-17. Others can legally agree and not be truly psychically prepared. And others are convinced it ought to be at the age of accepted reason - 7.

But whether or not anyone of any of those ages chooses to fiddle around with the subject, it shouldn't be up to an adult or authority figure to be in that picture.

This teacher crossed the lines in terms of abusing her authority and defying laws and obviously more concerned with her own psycho-sexual issues than any of the boys she used.

And whether they were rearin' to go or not, one day, those boys, as men, will know how scr*wed up that lady - and the situation - was.