Esteemed Contributor

Re: Teacher sentenced to 30 years for involvement with teenaged male students

It is about power, but it doesn't have to be "physical" power... it can be the power of being a teacher, and the boy is a student.  He could also have a crush (and she could be responsible for a flirtation that causes him to have a crush on her) and think that he's in love.  And as far as legal definitions are concerned, statutory rape is still rape.  It's just that simple.

Esteemed Contributor

ChynnaBlue, you and I must be reading each other's minds! 

Honored Contributor

kittymomNC wrote:

ChynnaBlue, you and I must be reading each other's minds! 

@kittymomNC and @ChynnaBlue,

All 3 of us chimed in at the same time with the same response.

It can't be overemphasized, in my opinion.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

He bragged about it and a classmate told their grandmother.

Still against the law.

I don't understand why she would continue when out on bond? Not very bright. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

Still against the law.

Exactly, a guy "brags about it;" girls who have been victimized don't.

Valued Contributor

30 years in prison seems perfectly reasonable.

After all, sexual predators sentence their victims oftentimes to at least 30 years (and more) of psychic and emotional damage.

Honored Contributor

Yes, there are tons of men who would high-five the kid for scoring or "getting lucky." That is a form of grunting, not thinking rationally about a child's level of maturity. 

But it's still abuse, regardless of different dynamics. Children under a certain age may become involved with others their age. That is generally not a crime. But when there's a certain difference in age between the two (decided by state statue), it's that we know that adults can manipulate those children.

Having said all that, I happen to think that that maximum posssibility of 30 years is excessive.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It's different to me, because a grown man can FORCE himself on a young girl.

An adult female typically can't overpower a teenage boy.

To me, it is different.....a minor female cannot protect herself; a teenage boy can....I don't see how a boy is harmed like a female is when she is violated by someone, simply because of the anatomy involved.

Then you need to read up about sexual assault and what it is. It's not just about overpowering someone, it's also about rape by coercion and authority. An adult woman can rape a boy or even an adult man because it's not about whether or not a rapist can overpower a victim or not.

I already know plenty about it.

I'm not talking about legal definitions, I'm talking about real life........rape is about power, it is about overpowering a person and forcing yourself on them.

A woman typically can't do that to a teenage boy.

yes, they can.   Hormones.  Your mind says no, but your body says yes.  There are cases of women who are r*ped that will climax during the r*pe.  That DOESN'T mean that they enjoyed it or they weren't r*aped

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

Still against the law.

Exactly, a guy "brags about it;" girls who have been victimized don't.

they are teenagers - their brains and hormones are not mature enough. They are not adults

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Esteemed Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It's different to me, because a grown man can FORCE himself on a young girl.

An adult female typically can't overpower a teenage boy.

To me, it is different.....a minor female cannot protect herself; a teenage boy can....I don't see how a boy is harmed like a female is when she is violated by someone, simply because of the anatomy involved.

Then you need to read up about sexual assault and what it is. It's not just about overpowering someone, it's also about rape by coercion and authority. An adult woman can rape a boy or even an adult man because it's not about whether or not a rapist can overpower a victim or not.

I already know plenty about it.

I'm not talking about legal definitions, I'm talking about real life........rape is about power, it is about overpowering a person and forcing yourself on them.

A woman typically can't do that to a teenage boy.

yes, they can.   Hormones.  Your mind says no, but your body says yes.  There are cases of women who are r*ped that will climax during the r*pe.  That DOESN'T mean that they enjoyed it or they weren't r*aped

Even if a guy gets "ready for action," the female adult would still have to force herself on him - which is typically not possible.

As for your bolded comment, I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion; most women have a problem ringing their chimes when it's consensual.

Not sure how a female would climax at a time like that.

Feel free to educate me....