Honored Contributor

Re: Teacher sentenced to 30 years for involvement with teenaged male students

[ Edited ]

Hard to say about the appropriateness of the sentence.  I think sexual predators "murder" a part of a person's soul, and that means we need to take that into consideration.  I heard a judge same something to that effect not long ago.

Regarding minors,  it helps to remember the brain isn't fully developed and significant areas aren't working as well as the brain of an older adult.  One of the late-developing areas of the brain controls one's ability to think about the consequences of actions.

There are good reasons the offenses of minors are treated in a different way.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if the laws regarding "age of consent" are the same for all states, but if it's statutory rape, it's still rape.  There are many instances of consensual "relations" between older men and young girls, but if charges are brought, the men are prosecuted for rape.  Why should women be different... because of the double standard that "boys will be boys" and somehow that's okay? 

Esteemed Contributor

It's different to me, because a grown man can FORCE himself on a young girl.

An adult female typically can't overpower a teenage boy.

To me, it is different.....a minor female cannot protect herself; a teenage boy can....I don't see how a boy is harmed like a female is when she is violated by someone, simply because of the anatomy involved.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I would like to know how this woman "abused" teenage boys....that would be consential, I would think.

I am SO tired of this old trope that all teenage boys want to have sex with their teachers and cannot be raped by them. The age of consent means that a person under that age cannot legally consent. Any time an authority figure has sex with someone under his or her authority, consent is always questionable. That's just one of the reasons most employers will not allow a person to date anyone he or she manages. Someone with influence and power over you is someone it's hard to give consent to of your own free will.

She needs to go to jail because she is a rapist.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

To me, it is different.....a minor female cannot protect herself; a teenage boy can....I don't see how a boy is harmed like a female is when she is violated by someone, simply because of the anatomy involved.

My point was about how "consensual" it is...  I'm not talking about anyone overpowering anyone else.  Whether or not the young person consented, it can still be statutory rape.  Why should a man be treated differently because he can overpower a girl... if she consents, she's not being overpowered.  It's still statutory rape, and many men have been prosecuted for it.  

So if we're not talking about being overpowered, but the mere fact that an older woman "preys" upon a younger boy, it's still statutory rape. 

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Then you need to read up about sexual assault and what it is. It's not just about overpowering someone, it's also about rape by coercion and authority. An adult woman can rape a boy or even an adult man because it's not about whether or not a rapist can overpower a victim or not.

Valued Contributor

This makes me sick. My only concern is for the victims.

She can rot in jail for all I care.
Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Then you need to read up about sexual assault and what it is. It's not just about overpowering someone, it's also about rape by coercion and authority. An adult woman can rape a boy or even an adult man because it's not about whether or not a rapist can overpower a victim or not.

I already know plenty about it.

I'm not talking about legal definitions, I'm talking about real life........rape is about power, it is about overpowering a person and forcing yourself on them.

A woman typically can't do that to a teenage boy.

Honored Contributor

YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

ChynnaBlue wrote:

YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I'm not talking about legal definitions, I'm talking about real life........rape is about power, it is about overpowering a person and forcing yourself on them.

It is not just about physical power.  There are no excuses.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

You are only focusing on PHYSICAL power. There are lots of different kinds of power that can have the same result.