Esteemed Contributor

Re: Teacher sentenced to 30 years for involvement with teenaged male students

biancardi wrote:

sure they do - sometimes more - like life in prison or death row.

Actually, I have no problems with that sentence.  Sexual abusers ruin so many lives.

Too bad more people don't seem to realize that and to me, a sexual predator is just as bad, if not worse than a murderer.

And I have to wonder if this had been a MAN and young teenage girls, would anyone have sympathy of any kind for him, or think he should get a shorter sentence?  It is what it is... it doesn't matter if it's a woman doing it. 

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

sure they do - sometimes more - like life in prison or death row.

Actually, I have no problems with that sentence.  Sexual abusers ruin so many lives.

Too bad more people don't seem to realize that and to me, a sexual predator is just as bad, if not worse than a murderer.

There's no need to drag the D situation into this. Give it a rest.

I would like to know how this woman "abused" teenage boys....that would be consential, I would think.

Excuse me?  Who is dragging the D situation into this?  YOU ARE.   I don't need to rest anything.

Sexual abusers and predators are the topic.  Minors are a protected class.   The adult is supposed to behave like an adult, not a teenager. 

That is why there is statutory r*pe laws in this country.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

The news report says a minimum of 2 years, a maximum of 30. It will be up to the parole board to decide. 

So she doesn't have a set number of years?  Or was the 30 really handed down but she could get out sooner by the board's decision? 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I'm far from being an attorney, but...somehow, someway I feel that in some capacity, the 17-yr old is @ fault for having relations w/ the woman while she's out on bail....like he's aiding a criminal on some level. Thoughts?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

The news report says a minimum of 2 years, a maximum of 30. It will be up to the parole board to decide. 

So she doesn't have a set number of years?  Or was the 30 really handed down but she could get out sooner by the board's decision? 

It doesn't seem like it. The video said the sentences are consecutive and she can serve between 2 and 30 years and that decision is up to the parole board. 

ETA around 2:50 on the video. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

No one here will agree with me, but I think it IS different when it's a woman.

I've actually talked about this with my husband....he said it's the same thing but I don't agree....it is different to me. If you read comments under this type of article, a lot of men if not most say, "He got lucky."

This is 16 and 17-year-olds we are talking about. A woman can't force her attention on a teenage boy the way a grown man can.

Most people don't see it that way though but so what else is new.

Respected Contributor

I watched last year when mary Kay and her husband were interviewed and he seemed more mature than her. I don't think he wants his children to have the family life he had that led him to do that.
Esteemed Contributor

How does a woman force herself on a 17-year-old boy, though?

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:
I watched last year when mary Kay and her husband were interviewed and he seemed more mature than her. I don't think he wants his children to have the family life he had that led him to do that.

That guy had the biggest head on a person I've ever seen!

Honored Contributor

There are differences between female and male sex offenders.  Surprisingly female sex offenders outnumber male offenders in various characteristics; but female offenders are more like to be using drugs, have physical and/or mental challenges and be from homes were violence is ongoing.

The Journal of Child Sex Abuse addresses the differences and also the similarities.

Nobody is giving a pass to female offenders at all - but the dynamics of female offenders are not always the same as with male offenders.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh