Respected Contributor

Re: 📓 Teacher seeking back-to-school advice. 🚌

Please consider involving your students in activities that help others. Whether these are school related or community related. Kids learn so much when they give of themselves. They also gain a stronger sense of self-worth which they need for the inevitable times when they will feel left out or may feel they don’t belong. Involvement for a higher purpose is often missing in middle school, with its damaging cliques and hurtful labels. If young folks have to work together for a common goal it benefits not just the cause, but forces them to interact with other students they might not otherwise spend time with (and maybe they’ll find those other kids have certain talents, are funny, are friendly, etc.)  In addition, helping others makes them feel good about themselves at an age when they are particularly vulnerable. 

Super Contributor

I am a retired teacher.  Every week I would eat lunch with two students in the classroom.  I just picked names out of a hat on Monday & said, "John & Bill want to eat lunch with me on Wed?"  My students loved it.  I got to know each student on a totally different level on those lunches.  Our only rule was- don't talk about classroom stuff.  I never had a student decline my invitation in 30 years.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat, I love the idea of shaking their hands before they leave, on day one.  Some children need a personal touch and that would be so kind.  

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

All I can think of is to say to look for the introverts. I'm one and didn't particularly like team activities. Often they are quite intelligent but seem a little standoffish. Find a way to utilize their talents without putting them front and center.

I 'm an introvert and my sixth grade teacher, a very nice man, seemed to make me his project. He constantly put me front and center and it was torture. I'm sure he meant well , but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Doesn't sound like he meant well.

I guess we can chalk this one up to what NOT to do

Honored Contributor

@Kalli

You are so right!  Last year we did a food drive for one of the local pantries and it was the thing they were most excited about all year. I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.

@teachergal

Thank you for bringing this to my mind.  We have a schoolwide Student of the Month program that celebrates those rockstar students. I've always had qualms about the program because so many wonderful kids are left out. 

I told my teammates last year that I'd like us to each invite a couple of students to lunch each month - randomly, like you suggested. They weren't sold on the idea, but I'm going to pitch it again this year with your encouragement.  I would prefer to do it with my teammates rather than alone, as we are not permitted to be alone, one on one, with students in our rooms. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I can share with you about my son (now 21) and his experience in middle school, which I think would be much more relative to you than back in the 1970's when I was in school. 

He had a great team of middle school teachers, and because it was such a small school, he had those teachers for three solid years. Continuity like that really made an impact. I realize that not all systems are set up this way, but anything you can do to connect with students after they leave your classroom (or if you know who is coming in the year before they do) is just a demonstration of faith in them, and shows that someone cares and sees them as more than a number in a seat.

I also know that in many schools, parents are rather absent in their child's educational process. In his school, you had more the opposite, parents over involved and over stressed about their performance. One of his teachers in particular was great in teaching the students not to sweat the small stuff, and in calming down the over stressed parent. Helping some parents to realize that kids find their way on their own time frame really helped a few students who were under a lot of pressure to achieve from parents. Sometimes the best thing you can do for some students is to calm down the parent.

Really knowing each student was a big thing at his school. Teachers took the time to know each student beyond the classroom. Asking kids about their interests and activities outside the classroom, or noticing a student's talent or gift outside of what you teach or what might be school related goes a long way to opening up especially non participating students. 

On projects, students were allowed to choose broadly the things that were of interest to them. If it was science, and they had to do a project, they were allowed much discretion in concentrating on something that was of interest to them. So if the child was into racing and cars, the science project could be built around that. Getting kids to see the math, science, history of something they love, opens them up to being excited, comfortable and eager to participate and achieve rather than be uncomfortable because they don't understand or care about the topic. 

Set aside the curriculum once in awhile. Sometimes students would come up with questions or discussions among themselves, based on things from the news  or things that happened in the school or community,and the teachers would suspend the lesson plan, and guide that topic through discussion, questions and any applicable subject related ties if there would be one (usually those things were more history/civic based, but sometimes there might be a math or science tie in to bring forward) . It lets kids know that what they think or feel is worthy of time being spent investigating it, it shows them you respect their feelings and needs and are responsive to more than your administration and some test scores.

Do you have the ability, at the beginning of the year, to poll the students and give them some choice in certain topics that you will teach? If you have to cover something like 20th century American History, can you put it to a vote, one or two different personalities you might do a focused unit on, or one or two events that you might let them pick which one will have a project or paper on? 

Letting them help set the course of their learning shows you see them as responsible, mature, and concerned about their wants and needs. Anything where they have choices makes them feel like they matter and that they are now a responsible party in the educational process.

I could go on, but I won't! LOL

Honored Contributor

My sons favourite teachers were the ones he considered fair at how they treated all of the students.He especially loved the teachers that treated the students as adults and allowed them to make decisions about some of their assignments and classroom experiences.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Are you really a teacher?   Because that sounds like an odd question for a teacher to ask on a shopping board.  If you are uncertain about this, you should speak to a peer.  

I find noting odd about this at all. 

For heaven's sake, it is the foundation of all learning.

Ask questions. 

And ask outside the area of expertise. That is where you will find people with real life experience, not just what they have been taught in their specific field. 

Consulting others as former students themselves or as parents of recent students gives a non textbook/non scientifically studied real world experience look at what she wants to know.

As big as I am on education, I think many of the best answers, solutions and approaches to any subject lay outside the field and it's experts, in just about any area.

Honored Contributor

I agree with you MominOH.

Honored Contributor

Housecat----I'll bet there are many kids (and adults) that have YOU pegged as their favorite teacher.

In other words, you've made Teacher of the Year whether you know it ir not.