Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Teacher Discharges Gun In Classroom, Student Hurt

@Noel7wrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

there was another accidental discharge yesterday in the DC area. (via THE HILL)

A police officer at a Washington-area middle school accidentally discharged his firearm on Tuesday morning and is now under investigation for the incident. 

The unnamed school resource officer accidentally fired a shot inside his office at George Washington Middle School around 9 a.m., according to the police in Alexandria, Va. Nobody was injured in the incident. 

The Alexandria Police Department announced that it is now investigating the incident and has placed the officer on temporary leave. The resource officer is a five-year veteran of the department. 

OMG, that's the third school shooting in a short period of time.  The teacher who barricaded himself in a classroom and fired his gun, the guy in Monterey and now your report.

Guns in schools is not a good idea.

Sadly, it's not that uncommon. A quick search will bring up multiple cases since 2010.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIamwrote:

It IS the person with the gun because a gun does NOT go off by itself. 

Those that use them daily will make it clear that a gun does not go off "accidentally" and the person using the gun is ALWAYS to blame as they made the CHOICE to pull the trigger. I tell this to everyone I train and shoot with.

The word "accident" is used to loosely, IMHO, when it comes to hurting or killing someone. But that's me.

It was the "teacher" who went off accidentally, and he was supposedly well trained.   In a very short period of time, we have had three known incidents of teachers and their mistakes.  Guns, teachers and classrooms certainly don't seem like a good mix.

@SahmIam

Honored Contributor

That did make me laugh.  I believe he was teaching a glass on gun safety....lol  So, much for the idea of teachers walking around armed.  But it was appalling that they didn't notify the boy's parents immediately after it happened.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

WHAT PART OF GUNS ARE DANGEROUS AND THERE IS NO PLACE FOR THEM IN SCHOOLS DON"T PEOPLE UNDERSTAND????

Yes, I'm shouting.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@SahmIamwrote:

Those that use them daily will make it clear that a gun does not go off "accidentally" and the person using the gun is ALWAYS to blame as they made the CHOICE to pull the trigger. I tell this to everyone I train and shoot with.

The word "accident" is used to loosely, IMHO, when it comes to hurting or killing someone. But that's me.

It was the "teacher" who went off accidentally, and he was supposedly well trained.   In a very short period of time, we have had three known incidents of teachers and their mistakes.  Guns, teachers and classrooms certainly don't seem like a good mix.

@SahmIam

@Noel7  I know and he's an idiot. He did NOT follow safety procedures. Had he, it wouldn't have happened. His finger was on the trigger and he pulled it, otherwise, the gun can't fire. So, lets count the mistakes:

1) Bullet in gun chamber

2) Bullet in magazine

3) Magazine in gun

4) Safety not on

5) Finger inside trigger area instead of on the side of it

6) PULLED trigger without all of the above being cleared.

At least he was aiming at the ceiling. Beyond that, what we have here is a VERY stupid individual who happens to be a teacher. Stupidity knows NO bounds and doesn't care about your occupation. Believe me.

Respected Contributor

Just wait--next will be a student accessing a teacher's gun.  

Honored Contributor

@SahmIamwrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@SahmIamwrote:

@SahmIam

@Noel7  I know and he's an idiot. He did NOT follow safety procedures. Had he, it wouldn't have happened. His finger was on the trigger and he pulled it, otherwise, the gun can't fire. So, lets count the mistakes:

1) Bullet in gun chamber

2) Bullet in magazine

3) Magazine in gun

4) Safety not on

5) Finger inside trigger area instead of on the side of it

6) PULLED trigger without all of the above being cleared.

At least he was aiming at the ceiling. Beyond that, what we have here is a VERY stupid individual who happens to be a teacher. Stupidity knows NO bounds and doesn't care about your occupation. Believe me.

@SahmIam

You've done a good job of going over various points for us, thank you.

Human error, it's a part of life, unfortunately.  Of course, some people are just careless, we don't know in this case, but there is a danger.

Honored Contributor

@Noel  Thank you. I'll tell you though, there are 2 things I can not and will not attribute to carelessness or accident or anything else:

1) Drunk driving

2) Unsafe gun usage.

Both can kill and both are done by choice.

Honored Contributor

811784C9-2DED-4869-A474-014DEFEADB38.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Why would he have the gun loaded?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.