Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It all depends on the individual schools.  There are some poor performing private schools and some that are great.

I live in Illinois.  There is an article in The Wall Strret Journal telling just how poorly some of the public schools are performing here.  The statistics are from before Covid, so I cannot imagine what they are now.😩😩😩😩😩

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@annie315 wrote:

Get the facts before bashing teachers and public education. 

I am not bashing teacher and public education.  I went to public school, so did my husband.  Did not even know anyone who went to a private school until it was us enrolling our daughter.  I was okay with moving across country because of the school district we are in. no  We considered, visited and researched both private and public schools where we live now.  My daughter even says she likes public school better than the private school she was in.  I get plenty of emails from her school, some directly from principal saying how important attendance is for success at school.  If my daughter is held to that standard, why shouldn't the teachers be held to that same standard?  Regardless if it's a public or private school.  My daughter is expected to learn what is taught in the class but it difficult when there seems to be more and more days when the teacher isn't there and they are instructed to read a book, or anything of their choice and then most just end up watching YouTube and Tik Tok on their cell phones.  

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

@Mersha

You seem to have issues with private schools.   Well, we do not.  My grands are performing very well and my family is very happy with our school.

No.  No issues.  Been on both side of the coin.  My daughter was happy at the school and I was content in that.  Not content paying $24,000/year in a private school to be behind in a public school.  

@ScrapHappy 

I would not be happy with an expensive private school performing poorly either.  So sorry this happened to your family.  I was replying to Mersha.  We have a lot of school districts in my state of Illinois that are performing very,  very poorly.  Many of our private schools are wonderful. 

Respected Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

We do private school.  No problems with teacher absences.

@4kitties   Are private school teachers not required to ever attend seminars or training sessions as are public school teachers for continued learning and improvement?

ETA Teachers work so hard and give so much of their free time and money to help in the classroom.  It is frustrating to see them bashed repeatedly when they give and put forth so much effort.

Yes it is much better to blame the parents - or even the kids themselves - when the kids can't read and/or they continue to fall behind and struggle - until they finally just give up and quit.

Respected Contributor

@4kitties   I realize some have no other option than to send their children to private school.

At times, I wonder if the intent to go private is to keep students with a certain group of children, whether it be religious or something else.  In those cases, personally, I think it is a detriment to the children not being exposed to others that are different from them. 

At some point in time in the child's life, they need to function in a big, diverse world instead of being "private."

I also am weary of public school teachers being blasted for one reason or another.  I know how hard they work and how much they give back to the students.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@Mersha 

If you only knew my family you would laugh out loud at your worry about "keeping with only a certain group"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you would care to know the state of public education in my state of Illinois, feel free to read The Wall Street Journal piece.  

Honored Contributor

As a student in the 1960's and 70's, all I'll say is we rarely had substitute teachers. Those teachers had families too, but I don't think extra training sessions were scheduled during the school year. I think teachers nowadays are playing hooky!

Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@Mersha 

If you only knew my family you would laugh out loud at your worry about "keeping with only a certain group"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you would care to know the state of public education in my state of Illinois, feel free to read The Wall Street Journal piece.  

@4kitties   I believe you.  I am glad your grandchildrern  are doing well in a private school.

I am done ranting!

Have a lovely evening!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

Based on what has gone on recently with school administrations hijacking our kids and saying parents have limited rights to know what is going on. I'd say get in there and find out what is going on with the teachers not being there to teach. 

If I had a kid in school these days I would want to know exactly who is teaching my child and what the curriculum is. 1000%

Your child is just that, yours. Not theirs. You have a right to know anything going on in that school. 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Here we go with the anti-teachers' rights fake culture war. Featured on Fox News every night alongside other low-budget, easy-outrage generating topics instead of real news, which is more expensive to produce.

They're manipulating you on purpose. They think you're too stupid and emotional to notice or care. This is one of several focus grouped hot button topics designed to strum your emotions like the strings of a guitar. Then they suggest "one easy solution" to fix the "problem." And they move on to the next. Then cut to commercial. Who benefits?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr