Respected Contributor

It is not my intention to start a heated debate over this.  I'm just curious. My daughter is a junior in high school.  An important year (they're all important but this one in particular).  Since the beginning of the school year (August 8th), I've noticed a lot of her teachers being absent.  My daughter said that 3 of her teachers were not there this past Monday.  One of those teachers, her History teacher wasn't there the Friday before either and then the class was told on Monday there will be a quiz on Tuesday.  However, the substitute for this class only instructed them to "read whatever they want" on the 2 days the teacher wasn't there. My aughter felt there was little instruction given before quiz. This same teacher just told the class she won't be in class this Friday (August 8th) or the next week (though they do have have the 10th - 12th, so just two days).  There hasn't been one week from school that at least 1 teacher has not been present or more.  I believe teachers work very hard and deserve time off, but is this usual?  

Respected Contributor

IMO these are things that should be discussed with the teacher(s) and/or the school administrator. I doubt that students have all the facts to give to parents or grandparents. There are many factors and possibilities. Going to the original source and getting the facts and then discussing your concerns with that educator would likely be most helpful.

Honored Contributor

I would discuss this issue with the school administration.  The parents have a right to know what is going on.

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

It is not my intention to start a heated debate over this.  I'm just curious. My daughter is a junior in high school.  An important year (they're all important but this one in particular).  Since the beginning of the school year (August 8th), I've noticed a lot of her teachers being absent.  My daughter said that 3 of her teachers were not there this past Monday.  One of those teachers, her History teacher wasn't there the Friday before either and then the class was told on Monday there will be a quiz on Tuesday.  However, the substitute for this class only instructed them to "read whatever they want" on the 2 days the teacher wasn't there. My aughter felt there was little instruction given before quiz. This same teacher just told the class she won't be in class this Friday (August 8th) or the next week (though they do have have the 10th - 12th, so just two days).  There hasn't been one week from school that at least 1 teacher has not been present or more.  I believe teachers work very hard and deserve time off, but is this usual?  

I have always contacted my kids' teachers with concerns or questions

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if the school district is currently negotiating renewal of the teachers' contract. 

As others have said, if it's impacting the quality of the student's education I would definitely speak to a principal or someone in administration. 

Honored Contributor

I am in WV, and my daughter is a teacher.  The school year started for her in early August, and so far she has missed 6 days due to attending mandatory training sessions.  She has been encouraged to attend another training that will have her out another 4 days.  

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy  I was a sub at the high school level for 14 years.  Teachers have lives outside of school and sometimes have to take a day off for professional development, illness, a sick child, personal business, medical appointments, etc. I was kept as busy as I wanted to be and could have worked every day if I wanted to.  There were times when I was assigned to the same classroom for a large chunk of the semester and other times I was in a different classroom every day for the entire pay period (two weeks).  A good teacher will prepare ahead, when they can, and leave lesson plans for the sub, but sometimes the morning surprises would happen and we'd have to pinch hit.  Other teachers in the department could be helpful but there were times when class time became an extra study hall.  It happens.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

The friends and family , I have gave up on the public school system 2 yrs ago and have since had their children in private schools or home schools.

Respected Contributor

There are Jewish holidays right now and perhaps they are missing school in observation of RoshHashanah and Yom Kippur. Another reason may be due to health issues such as dr appts or treatments. Also, this time of year, districts make teachers miss classes for trainings and meetings. 

Respected Contributor

We do private school.  No problems with teacher absences.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward