Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

No problem with it. Sugar is proving just as deadly to us as cigarettes. Increase the price to the point that people will have to make different choices in their "snacks". I've yet to hear a doctor or any health provider say "MORE SUGAR. YOU NEED MORE SUGAR IN YOUR DIET."

More fruit, more vegis, more protein....yes. Not more processed junk snack cwap food.

I guess that is fine until they tax something YOU enjoy or like to eat.....  The city govenment has NO right to nudge anyone into not eating or drinking anything.  

but when the city has to bail out people for their poor choice????

Honored Contributor

My city doesn't bail anyone out, for any choices ..It's everyone for themselves

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Next they will be ticketing people who bring soda in, from other cities.

Or ask for ID at the check out counter to check your address?

Respected Contributor

I'm glad Chicago rescinded it.   It was a bad tax - hurt businesses.

Honored Contributor

No one is hysterical. Let's not be dramatic. 

What's funny to me is the blase, who cares attitude by some about what the government is doing.  It's a huge overstepping of power but many of you are missing the point or don't care because it doesn't affect you.  Again, when it would affect something you buy, your attitude may change.

I'm not a regular soda drinker nor do I smoke.  But I am a huge proponent of letting people live their lives the way they want to.  If someone wants to drink pop, that's on them.  If someone wants to eat sugarary foods, smoke, etc., that's on them too.   It's not my business to decide what people should and shouldn't be eating, should and shouldn't be driving, watching, reading, etc. 

I don't think it's fair to tax the cwap out of something in an effort to get people to conform.    

My mom had told me that when she was pregnant with me, she had such horrible morning sickness, she literally kept soda crackers and 7-up next to the bed.  She couldn't get out of bed in the morning without them.  This lasted the entire 9 months she was pregnant with me.  Had a tax been in effect back then, my poor parents would have been broke buying 7-Up so she didn't vomit every morning.  Woman Frustrated   

Respected Contributor

If you're going to tax pop, then you should tax fries.  If you're going to tax fries, you should tax chicken nuggets.  If you're going to tax chicken nuggets, you probably should tax anything fried.  It will never end...

Honored Contributor

Instead of taxing soda and other sweetened drinks why not a bottle and can tax like my state of Massachusetts? This is for most beverages, 5 cents a can or bottle, it doesn't matter the size. 

The supermarkets and liquor stores have redemption centers in their buildings. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

This is nothing new remember when we actaully were taught history, the tax on Tea?  The had a little jingle

Don't tax me,

And don't tax thee,

Tax the man behind the tree

I think that they can find other revenues to tax, and leave food and drink alone.  People have a right to live as they wish ,as long as they don't break the law.  This is a massive thin end of the wedge, into peoples lives and choices

We are supposed to be a free country

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple  we have a 10 cent a bottle or can tax ,that can be reddemed at the store.  It has really cut down on litter

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

No problem with it. Sugar is proving just as deadly to us as cigarettes. Increase the price to the point that people will have to make different choices in their "snacks". I've yet to hear a doctor or any health provider say "MORE SUGAR. YOU NEED MORE SUGAR IN YOUR DIET."

More fruit, more vegis, more protein....yes. Not more processed junk snack cwap food.

I guess that is fine until they tax something YOU enjoy or like to eat.....  The city govenment has NO right to nudge anyone into not eating or drinking anything.  

but when the city has to bail out people for their poor choice????

Laughing here, Give me one instance where the City of Seattle has ever bailed out anyone because of their choice of food or drink........