Valued Contributor

Well, you get the government you vote for.  If the good people of Seattle want to tax their surgared drinks, it doesn't impact me in the slightest.  I wish them well.

I would never vote for anyone who promulgated this sort of thing in my own municipality.

Esteemed Contributor

Not everyone who buys a case of soda/pop drinks it in excess on a daily basis. Is sugar an illegal product? Lol....What's next? Candy bars? A pound of sugar from the grocery store?

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I heard all the complaining when they did the same thing with cigarettes. 

Obesity is killing us, rapidly. Young children have medical issues that used to be seen in adults; diabetes 2 is rising to the point that it's more the norm than not. I went off sugar years ago due to health issues; same with caffeine. I don't do booze because my dad was an alcoholic. Tax booze over the top; no problem with it as I've seen the damage it does to many. 

Boo hoo. Geez, it's SODA. You don't need it to survive. The fact that people are whining about it shows just how addicted to it they are. 

The argument of "but what if they tax meat, tax something YOU like" means nothing to me. You adjust, you adapt. Many with health issues have HAD to do just that. It worked with cigarette's so why not? But as others have already shown, we HAVE TO HAVE our soda. It won't pass, it won't last and obesity rates will just keep on rising.

You do understand that the fact that people are overweight is not solely because they drink sugared soda and for no other reason, right?  Overweight people tend to drink diet soda to cut down on their sugar intake. 

A great example of the attitude that fat-shaming people have, under the guise of “worried about (your) health.” Baloney. It’s fat-shaming, which is still totally PC - our last taboo waiting to fall, and not anytime soon. 

How about this for a new law? Any person who weighs more than 10% over their ideal BMI (set by the govt of course) is “taken in hand” by the govt and all nutrition for that person is handled by the govt. Not one mouthful that isn’t approved. And then when they don’t all lose the weight everyone thinks they “must inevitably” lose...oops. 

Next up - the Federal govt via Medicare deciding who lives and who dies. We’re already halfway there. But 10 years from now, get a bad diagnosis and find out you will just be sent to hospice until you die, which will hopefully be soon so even your death cost will be minimized. Who knows if, while in hospice, any pain medications will be allowed; perhaps not. Know someone this could happen to? Could be you?  Boo-hoo.  

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Jannabelle wrote:

Not everyone who buys a case of soda/pop drinks it in excess on a daily basis. Is sugar an illegal product? Lol....What's next? Candy bars? A pound of sugar from the grocery store?

Yes, that will probably be next.  Because ignorant people believe that legislating something takes care of it. Like, you know, opioids. Just.shut.them.off.  Who cares that there’s no viable alternative for people who really need them, and that people are now in pain every day with no alternative other than a pat on the head and advice to take two Advil and don’t call, because honestly, no one really cares about the human beings involved, all doctors care about these days is not prescribing anything that might put them on any governmental radar. If someone, or multiple someones, are in pain, so what? Govt doesn’t care.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Tax on soda

[ Edited ]

@cherry

I stopped drinking soda of any kind close to 20 years ago. 

If soda is so bad they should stop making it instead of punishing people or using it as an excuse to tax them for bad habits. 

That will never happen because soda is a great money-maker. 

This is not about people making unhealthy choices; it is a way to make money in many areas.

Respected Contributor

I live right outside the city limits of Philly  Early in the summer while grocery shopping I noticed a person with a cart filled to the top of 2 liter beverages.  I thought wow they must be having one big gathering.  At various times all through the summer I noticed the same thing.  One time a person behind me pointed to a filled cart and mentioned they must be from Philly.  Then it dawned on me.  These people are taking the beverages back to Philly for probably themselves and family and friends.

I definitely feel sorry for the small store owners in Philadelphia.  They don't have a chance when people can just drive a mile and get their soda with only a 6% sales tax.

Esteemed Contributor

@saltysails wrote:

They should tax alcohol before taxing any soda.  I am against anymore taxes.  

There already is tax on alcohol.

Honored Contributor

Next they will be ticketing people who bring soda in, from other cities.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

Chicago had a tax on sugary drinks last year for a few weeks.  People screamed so loudly and protested, that they reversed it.  

@nyc1. I'd scream bloody murder if the municipality in which I lived passed a law like that.  I strongly oppose government meddling in our daily lives to the point of telling us what we can or can't eat or drink.  My guess is that there's more interest in plumping up the community coffers than making people more healthy.

@Kachina624  YOU NAILED IT...    but let's not forget the lined pockets.  This is Chicago...  our politicians need their cut!  Then,  if there is anything left over, it filters out to the community.  Health reasons?  They could care less.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Wonder what people would say is there was a tax imposed on each post made on the Internet.  After all spending to much time sitting in front of the computer is bad for your health.

funny