Trusted Contributor

Big Brother deciding what we should and should not have.. Sneaky way to get more money from us because they know better how to spend our money that we worked for.

Honored Contributor

For those citizens opposed to this tax, a good plan of action would be to vote for Council members who would rescind the soda tax.

Honored Contributor

I don't drink soda - I prefer seltzer and my husband drinks maybe 2-3 cans a week, I'm sure he would say the heck with it and just do without.

Sometimes they just shoot themselves in the foot.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

sin tax

sin tax
ˈsin ˌtaks/
noun
informal
noun: sin tax; plural noun: sin taxes
  1. a tax on items considered undesirable or harmful, such as alcohol or tobacco.

@cherry

I know the term is used that way.   Back in the 80s when I was living in CA the usage was common.  

Artificial sweeteners can be more harmful than sugar.  

Respected Contributor

If they're taxing sweet drinks then why not slap a huge tax on that evil sack of sugar, too. Absurd...and a bit Big Brotherish.     

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

What do you want to bet the taxes from this will never be put into a health fund? It will be used for everything else.

It's just another sneaky way of getting even more money out of the taxpayer, and of course telling them, it's for their own good.

@cherry

You are so right!  Remember all the income from the sale of lottery tickets was going to fund education.  Did your school district taxes go down?   

Honored Contributor

FREE- A- TTLE (Seattle) taxes everything and anything...  and say  Oh, it's  for the homeless....or oh it's to feed the poor children.....  Always  a new tax

AND the people have no vote or say about it..... the car tabs now are so expensive that many people can not afford the fees....going to Sound Transit....ANOTHER BIG JOKE AND RIP OFF😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

AND THEN THEY FUNNEL THE MONEY TO DO SOMETHING ELSE.

While they give huge raises to the people in office.....what a scam!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Tax on soda

[ Edited ]

Bloomberg tried it in New York City and it didn't get very far. People wanted their sugary beverages and his nose out of their business.

I find Coke is the only beverage that really works for a low blood sugar when you use Insulin. It's quicker for me than glucose tablets or orange juice. When time is of the essence, to prevent from falling into diabetic shock, Coke wins hands down.

Honored Contributor

With all the problems in the world today this is not even on my radar - but then I am not a soda drinker.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Tax on soda

[ Edited ]

Personally, I would rather see taxes on things most of us could do without, and no taxes on things like basic food, medication, and personal hygiene items.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras