Honored Contributor

Re: Tax filing deadline moved from April 15th to July 15th

GOOD.  We always own and this will give us a few extra months to not have to pay them.

Respected Contributor

My taxes were filed a while ago but I have a brother/SIL who have to wait for a K-1 each year and it just came.  She wanted to wait till June or July since we have the extension but the thing not yet clear - - in VA (and probably other states) federal taxes have always been due Apr 15 but here our state not until May 1.  

To prepare your VA state taxes you need information from your federal return - so it'd be nice if VA granted the same automatic 90 days.

Respected Contributor

According to the latest government data  available, as of March 13, the IRS has received more than 76 million returns and has issued more than 59.2 million refunds.

The average refund check was $2,973.

While the IRS is reportedly going to increase pressure to have states align with the new federal deadline, it is important for people to check with their local government to make sure they do not miss their obligation in their state. 

~USAToday reported

Valued Contributor

Can someone please clarify this for me.  When I look at the site, it says "This guidance does not change the April 15 filing deadline."

Honored Contributor

Just checked and the tax filing deadline has also been moved to July15. Not sure what the benefit is of moving both deadlines.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Keep in mind that this is ONLY for Federal returns. I live in Michigan, and they're still saying April 15th is the deadline. Since the Michigan return starts with info from the Federal, the Federal return still needs to be done in order to file with the state on time. Given my conversation with my accountant earlier this week, mine are 99% done, so I'm not worried about it.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1   Yes, those of us who also file state returns, need those states to also extend the deadlines. 

One  of my states has done this.  Waiting to hear from the other two. 

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@FrostyBabe1   Yes, those of us who also file state returns, need those states to also extend the deadlines. 

I'm pretty confident that Michigan will do it, the folks in charge just have another thing or two going on right now. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

So yesterday they extend the state date to June 1 - not good enough bc I'm in VA and  in order to file your state your federal return has to be done - so if you delay your taxes till July you will need to get an extension for the state.