Respected Contributor

Re: Tax Free Weekend in MA, 8/17-18

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@Scorpio1971If I were a MA taxpayer, I'd want restrictions on $2500+ clothing.  -   Seems to me anyone who can afford to pay $3000 for a suit or a coat ought to be able to pay the tax. too.    I didn't read your link -  hope that's the kind of thing it says although I'm not an MA taxpayer.

There is no sales tax on clothing here inMassachusettss.

MA has a sales tax on clothing OVER $175.  Please read the link regarding state law.

That is correct. For items that cost more than $175, sales tax is only due on the amount over $175 per item.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree

We haven't purchased anything either.  But the thought is if someone is planning to, then the possibility of saving both tax & also get sale prices on the merchandise, then that's great.

I also like the idea of supporting small businesses & I think this weekend is a good incentive to help them as well.  I wish replacing my dryer held off until this weekend, but, of course it didn't.  Woman Frustrated 

We really want new livingroom furniture as I already mentioned but I think we've talked ourselves out of it again due our 3 pets & the realization they'll wreck it again.  Some day .. I hope.

Honored Contributor

We had tax free weekend recently in TN, and I bought a new MacBook Air.  I had wanted a new one for a long time, and that seemed like the right time to buy one.  It was tax free up to $1,500 on computers.

I hope you're able to get your furniture and/or computer @ScenicMaine .  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Hi @NickNack 

Good for you.  Were you visiting TN just at the right time?  How lucky is that!

Do you like the Mac Air?  Just curious, are you new with Macs or familiar with them?  Just wondering about the learning curve.

I haven't gone to check out the computers yet.  But my SIL said all places she checked online for Ipads were sold out, probably due to this weekend.  She doesn't want to purchase if she finds she doesn't like it.

Well, we keep going back/forth about the new furniture as we really want it - but, justifying that with our 3 "destructive" pets ... well, that's another thing that we wrestle with.  

Off topic - bet you knew I'd ask, how are your Sweet Henry & Frankie doing?

Honored Contributor

@ScenicMaine wrote:

Hi @NickNack 

Good for you.  Were you visiting TN just at the right time?  How lucky is that!

Do you like the Mac Air?  Just curious, are you new with Macs or familiar with them?  Just wondering about the learning curve.

I haven't gone to check out the computers yet.  But my SIL said all places she checked online for Ipads were sold out, probably due to this weekend.  She doesn't want to purchase if she finds she doesn't like it.

Well, we keep going back/forth about the new furniture as we really want it - but, justifying that with our 3 "destructive" pets ... well, that's another thing that we wrestle with.  

Off topic - bet you knew I'd ask, how are your Sweet Henry & Frankie doing?

I actually live in TN.  I had a MacBook Air before this one.  It wasn't difficult to learn.  They offer free classes at the Apple store, and I Googled a lot of questions and found the answers.  I learned to love it very quickly.  

Did you check the Apple store for iPads?  I ordered mine from them, because I didn't want to go to the store that weekend.  I thought there would be a long line.  Just so you know, it shows that you're being charged when you check out.  I called them, and they said that when the charge goes through the tax won't be on it.  They were right.

Henry and Frankie are sweet.  I took this picture of Henry a few days ago.

UfnvVDQIQMyqq2p0rClYTg.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

We are remodeling our kitchen and bath, so we paid off our appliances, got new doors for said area, and bought the faucets and sink for the kitchen.  We made out quite well.  Some places double your savings to make it more "worth it".  It still amounts to "only" 13%.  

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

Oops, I'm sorry for my mistake.  I honestly thought I had read somewhere you were from NY.  Woman Frustrated

I'm not the one looking for the Mac, my SIL is, but thank you for the info.

Thanks so much for posting the pic of Mr. Henry.  Such a handsome little fella.  Please give both Sweet Frankie & Mr. Henry hugs from me.

Trusted Contributor

@Just4Me 

I'm glad you got your "wish" list items.  Love hearing from posters on their projects.  Hope you're happy with the new look of your remodel.

Valued Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Didn't know TX had a sales tax.  Take back that part of my recommendation.

We live in NH; have for 19 years.  Property taxes are fungible.  I can live in an expensive house and pay a lot in property tax, OR I can live in a less expensive house and pay less in property tax.  It's my choice.  Sales taxes are a crippling revenue source, especially on needed items.  I have no choice or less of a choice.

I never heard of people "stealing" social services from MA.  I do know that people from "high tax" states who moved here forgot why they did and demanded what they had in their previous state.  They didn't understand that the taxes they were trying to get away from were paying for what they were demanding.  They had no idea what "Live Free or Die" really meant.  They are the problem for those of us who are sick and tired of the "nanny state" governments.

@Cats3000 

Years ago we knew people that had relatives that lived in N.H.  The relatives in N.H. would use the Mass. address of their Mass. relatives and received welfare, food stamps & medical services with that address.  That is stealing from Mass. residents.  I hope investigations have stopped or at least minimized this practice.  Probably with computerized S.S. number access & tracking people that did this were tracked down.  But when people do not have reportable income, i.e. working under the table so to speak, and cannot be tracked to a real address, this is when & how the "stealing" occurs.