Trusted Contributor

Tax Free Weekend in MA, 8/17-18

For Fun -

Any MA residents going on a spending spree?

If you feel like it, let us know what's on your wish list.

DH & I really want new livingroom furniture  in our Pet home.  Again, we're on the fence about it though due to our pets' bad habits with furniture.

I'm also considering a new notebook computer, smaller size.    

Any other states have tax free weekends?  MA has been having it for the past maybe 10 yrs.?

Honored Contributor

Re: Tax Free Weekend in MA, 8/17-18

We had it here in New Mexico a couple weekends ago.  They sure don't  allow the buying of furniture tax free, however.  Ours covers school supplies,  computers up to $1,000, and clothing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maximum per item limit in MA is $2,500, but rules & restrictions apply on items & how tax is figured on items over $2,500 especially clothing.  MA state meals tax will not be exempt either.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2019/07/23/2019-massachusetts-sales-tax-holiday-what-to-know

Honored Contributor

@Scorpio1971If I were a MA taxpayer, I'd want restrictions on $2500+ clothing.  -   Seems to me anyone who can afford to pay $3000 for a suit or a coat ought to be able to pay the tax. too.    I didn't read your link -  hope that's the kind of thing it says although I'm not an MA taxpayer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@Scorpio1971If I were a MA taxpayer, I'd want restrictions on $2500+ clothing.  -   Seems to me anyone who can afford to pay $3000 for a suit or a coat ought to be able to pay the tax. too.    I didn't read your link -  hope that's the kind of thing it says although I'm not an MA taxpayer.

There is no sales tax on clothing here inMassachusettss.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Not 100% positive on this, but in CT, I believe the tax free covers shoes and clothing up to $100.  If a clothing item or shoes cost $101, you pay the tax.

Valued Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

So, the way it works is the entire single item purchase is subject to state sales tax if you spend more than $2,500 on a single item retail purchase, think cars, boats, single piece of expensive furniture, etc.

However, there is a caveat for clothing.  MA already has an exemption for sales tax on clothing up to $175.  Anything above the $175. on an individual piece of clothing would be taxed.  I agree with you if you can afford a single piece of clothing it should be fully taxed.  But think for example in terms of a wedding gown, many times costing over $2,500., so this is the rule...

"When it comes to clothing, however, there is a caveat. Under state law, an item of clothing is already tax exempt if it costs less than $175, but if the price passes that threshold, only the amount over $175 is subject to tax.

“If on the sales tax holiday, the price of an item of clothing exceeds $2,500, the first $175 is not subject to tax,” according to the state’s website.

So a gown costing $3,000 would have to pay tax on the amount of $2,825. on the sales tax holiday.  If gown was $2,500 or less there would be no sales tax on the holiday.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

There is no sales tax on clothing here inMassachusettss.

MA has a sales tax on clothing OVER $175.  Please read the link regarding state law.

Honored Contributor

Here in PA, we have no sales tax on most clothing items.  We get bus loads of people from NY shopping here, especially at our outlet stores.

Delaware has no state sales tax on anything as does Alaska, Montana, New Hamshire and Oregon.

Honored Contributor

We were in Hilton Head a couple of weeks ago and South Carolina had their tax free weekend.  We went shopping at the Tanger Outlets and saved quite a bit.  

I don't think Illinois does that.