Trusted Contributor

I guess it’s your body to do what you like; I personally don’t have any, but if I did it would be something very meaningful and small and in a inconspicuous place....it would be just for me to see...some type of rememberence or connection to someone or something that has passed.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

I never thought I would get one, I could not think of anything I wanted to wear all the time.  One day while looking at pintrest I saw this great drawing.  I really liked it, a wolfs head with peacock feathers as the body with butterfly wings.  Bingo, thats it.  Slept on it over night, got up next morning and headed to the tatto parlor.  Its in gray, black and turquoise and I really love it.  I get compliments on it all the time.  Its on my right forearm.  That was 4 years ago at age 69.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

To each his/her own - for me, nay.

Esteemed Contributor

It's a Nay for me, personally but it doesn't bother me if others have them.  However, 99% of them look dark, smudged and well, just horribly done so I don't get the fascination. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  I found all of your posts in this thread to be well thought out, articulate and not judgemental in the least.  

I was immediately drawn in by your opening post because your experience raising your daughter sounds much like mine.  (But that's another story!)

I agree that many women are deciding to get tattoos in their later years.  I wonder why that is?  My best friend and I talked about it for quite a few years (all of our daughters have several tattoos -- maybe that was an influencer).  For our 60th birthdays, we went and got tattoos together.  Mine is on the inside of my wrist, about 3" long, 1 1/2" high.  Two years later and I still love it.  I toy with getting another, but haven't decided just yet.  

I don't care for sleeves at all and can't imagine being overly tatted up.  

Honored Contributor

Interesting comment about this. Told DH I would tell some one young to pick a career field where they would be able to remove tattoos. Our son was visting one day and said the same thing. I think when people are in their 50's and 60's they may want these tattoos removed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tattoos - Yea or Nay?

[ Edited ]

I really don't think the OP meant this to turn so judgemental but the statement that the boyfriend is probably now married to some little pristine gal who was a whole lot smarter than my little rebel without a cause is a bit judgemental.  The little pristine gal is probably boring as all hel# and I'm guessing he is not really happy and would have been better off with the rebel or someone more free spirited but the tattoo he got her was surely not the reason for the breakup.

I'm 66 and have several and got them in my eary 20's and never regretted it.  

Sagging skin with or without tatts is not a good look and you can have tatts renewed to brighten the color and tweeked on sagging skin if it looks that bad.

Many here don't like them but don't judge others who have them but some posts seem to infer that those who get them are lesser people.  As for employment many more employers hire based on qualifications and not just hire based on looks.  I have found extremely judgemental people (of others' looks, dress, etc) often are poor workers.  

I posted several times on the woman who worked at the nursing home my father was who was tatted from her neck down and had many piercings. The other workers did little for my dad and avoided him because he was not nice at times and threw things, etc.  They didn't care if he ate or not and did just the bare minimum for him except for this young woman.  She sat with him and talked and he ate and laughed and joked with her.  He was allowed 2 beers a day but the others wouldn't do that for him - except for her.  She even came in on her days off to visit him and give him his beer.  In talking with her I found out she had a 2 year old child and worked 1 full time and 2 part time jobs to support them.  The father who had a mother who was  judgemental and forbid him to see her anymore never knew she was pregnant and probably would have not stood up to his mother anyway and even though he knew she was pregnant never asked her if it was his - even though he probably knew it was!  She never said anything to him and the child will be better off and loved and not subjected to this awful mother and wimpy son. 

I often start conversations with tatted people and hear such interesting stories behind the tatts and meet many wonderful people.

Honored Contributor

I don't have any, but for a while had kind of thought about getting one on my arm. (A Shakespeare quote.)  I'm glad I never did.  This summer -- with more of our skin exposed-- I have noticed tattoos on older women and decided that is not a look I want to be sporting in the future.  

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Tats really make a statement about the person wearing them. I personally hate to see tattoos on anyone. Wh n my daiughter went off to college she came home for a visit and had a tattoo on her ankle. I nearly had a fit! Discovered it was one that washes off...she thought it was a funny joke...I never did laugh..there is a verse in the Old Testament about disfiguring your skin..need to find the chapter and verse....

@lovesrecess Leviticus 19:28 as well as several other passages.

Honored Contributor

Tats don't bother me one bit. Why should they? Mankind has been tattooing for thousands of years--I don't have any but maybe I'll get one, who knows??!!