Respected Contributor

I dont like calling attention to myself so I would never get one where someone would see it. 

I think tattoos are a personal choice. I would never go to the extreme of not speaking to my children if they got one. 

If someone wants to get a big tattoo or a small tattoo or cover their whole body with them, good for them. Who am I to judge.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

I dont like calling attention to myself so I would never get one where someone would see it. 

I think tattoos are a personal choice. I would never go to the extreme of not speaking to my children if they got one. 

If someone wants to get a big tattoo or a small tattoo or cover their whole body with them, good for them. Who am I to judge.

That’s great! Plus think of all the wonderful people one might miss out on knowing!  

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 I owe you an apology, LuLu.  I misjudged your intentions based on the past members who have started tattoo threads. I think your intentions were observational and inquisitive and not what I had imagined. 

I see some people (not including you Lulu) have an objection to my use of “judging” so it can be replaced with disdain if they like, though it’s really just semantics. 

Again, forgive me for jumping the gun and not giving you the benefit of the doubt. 

I was glad to see you write this @GenXmuse.  I was quite surprised by your earlier posts as I've always known you to be a fair-minded and likeable poster here.  

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 I owe you an apology, LuLu.  I misjudged your intentions based on the past members who have started tattoo threads. I think your intentions were observational and inquisitive and not what I had imagined. 

I see some people (not including you Lulu) have an objection to my use of “judging” so it can be replaced with disdain if they like, though it’s really just semantics. 

Again, forgive me for jumping the gun and not giving you the benefit of the doubt. 

I was glad to see you write this @GenXmuse.  I was quite surprised by your earlier posts as I've always known you to be a fair-minded and likeable poster here.  

Thank you.  I shouldn’t have taken it out on her. 

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I really don't think the OP meant this to turn so judgemental but the statement that the boyfriend is probably now married to some little pristine gal who was a whole lot smarter than my little rebel without a cause is a bit judgemental.  The little pristine gal is probably boring as all hel# and I'm guessing he is not really happy and would have been better off with the rebel or someone more free spirited but the tattoo he got her was surely not the reason for the breakup.

I'm 66 and have several and got them in my eary 20's and never regretted it.  

Sagging skin with or without tatts is not a good look and you can have tatts renewed to brighten the color and tweeked on sagging skin if it looks that bad.

Many here don't like them but don't judge others who have them but some posts seem to infer that those who get them are lesser people.  As for employment many more employers hire based on qualifications and not just hire based on looks.  I have found extremely judgemental people (of others' looks, dress, etc) often are poor workers.  

I posted several times on the woman who worked at the nursing home my father was who was tatted from her neck down and had many piercings. The other workers did little for my dad and avoided him because he was not nice at times and threw things, etc.  They didn't care if he ate or not and did just the bare minimum for him except for this young woman.  She sat with him and talked and he ate and laughed and joked with her.  He was allowed 2 beers a day but the others wouldn't do that for him - except for her.  She even came in on her days off to visit him and give him his beer.  In talking with her I found out she had a 2 year old child and worked 1 full time and 2 part time jobs to support them.  The father who had a mother who was  judgemental and forbid him to see her anymore never knew she was pregnant and probably would have not stood up to his mother anyway and even though he knew she was pregnant never asked her if it was his - even though he probably knew it was!  She never said anything to him and the child will be better off and loved and not subjected to this awful mother and wimpy son. 

I often start conversations with tatted people and hear such interesting stories behind the tatts and meet many wonderful people.

I can share similar circumstances. 

I have had my car break down right in the middle of the city street twice in my life. 

Once I was pregnant and it was dark and snowing hard. A car full of young guys were the only ones to come by, and pushed my car out of the road to a nearby open business so I could go in and use the phone (not much in the way of cell phones back then). They were tatted up and called me ma'am and made sure I was alright.

The next time was rush hour on a bright sunny day, but still right in city traffic, many years later (and different car!). All the high dollar men in suits and ties, drove right by and saw me stranded in the center lane, but the guy and girlfriend that stopped and help push me into a parking lot were both tatted up and pierced. 

I don't judge a person by their appearance. I don't want to be judged by mine. I have things I find appealing in people's looks and things I don't, and I do question why some people do what they do, be it tattooing, or out of the social norm piercings, dress, hair style/color etc. It's ok to question or wonder why.  It is ok to have preferences for things you like to see and things you don't, even on other people. It isn't ok to assume what someone is like in their heart and soul based only on looks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tattoos - Yea or Nay?

[ Edited ]

@sweetee2 wrote:

My 40 year old daughter has both arms, back, tops of her feet, 1 on each of her calves.  Down one arm she has all our families flowers that represents our birthdays. Her other arm has different hobbies we have and my name in cursive. Her back has a big Lotus flower for my brother-in-law that took his own life. Her feet have stars to represent our country. 

I hate everyone of them. I'm sick of every time we go anywhere people say, "  I love your art work". 

I love my daughter to pieces and will and have done anything she needs of me, but this I can't.

I understand how you feel @sweetee2 and I want to tell you (even though you don't need my approval at all), that it is ok to not condone everything our adult children want and do.

I won't presume to speak for you, but I will say that my son having just got his first two, kind of hurts my heart in a way. 

He has know forever that I don't approve, but he is legal and doesn't need my approval for everything he now does in his life. I didn't always have my mother's approval at this time of life either. It's the natural progression of life, and to be expected.

But I guess it hurts me a little because as his mother, I always thought he was perfect. Not in the sense that we are now raising entitled spoiled young adults kind of perfect, but in the sense that we were so lucky to have him, for him to be born and grow up healthy, strong and independent. I look at what he is doing as not seeing himself as good enough. Because I know some of his struggles to this point, I feel like  doing this is coming from more of a place of discontent and inadequacy. And maybe I'm not right about that and projecting things upon him that aren't his reality.

Regardless, having grown up with a very ill father who died when I was young, and seeing how many times he was poked and prodded and had needles pierce his body to extend his life, I have a bit of an issue with one subjecting themselves to things like this or taking risks that come with it.

We are moms. We are allowed to be disappointed in certain aspects of our adult children's choices, especially when we have some insight as to why we think they are making the choices they are. LIke you, still love him to pieces, but won't be supportive or interested in that part of his life.  

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I never understand the purpose of these types of threads? What difference does it make who has a tat and who doesn't?

If you don't want one, don't get one, but why make people who have them , be subjected to this type of thing?  Is it  just so they can hear about ,how much others dislike them?

It's an opinion question. What is the issue? If people aren't judging the person's character based on appearance then there is nothing wrong with people telling how they feel about something that is now a huge trend in our society. When people get piercings and tatts, and in places that are visible to the public, they are creating a situation where others will see them and find them either interesting, beautiful, and meaningful, or maybe not. 

Do we all have to think the same and have the same ideas or not post here? If you do anything in this world, you better be ready to have someone, somewhere, sometime tell you that they don't like it, agree with it, or approve of it. It's part of the process of living, dealing with opinions and ideas different than your own.

Do I have the right to walk up to a completely tatted person and tell them how much I don't like it? No. No more so than they need to tell me they think my butt is way too big for those jeans. 

Can I have an opinion or judgement on the aesthetics of what I see, yes I can, and so can they. 

Kindness in the way we interact with others is important. Knowing people for who they are not how they look is important. Knowing when something is your business to make comment upon and when it is not is important. 

But it is also important to allow people to have their opinion and feelings about things. Part of what is wrong with society today is that neither side of any given topic seems to understand that the 'other side' has just as much right to think and believe what they want to as you do. 

People who have them don't have to be "subjected to this kind of thing". The title of the thread says it all. If someone has tatts and is going to be hurt by the fact that some people don't like them, they need to scroll on past the topic. I think many more will be glad to read the many insightful posting of people who don't really like them (the tatts not the people) but look for who that person is more so than what that person wears on their skin.

And anytime one takes time to read well thought and articulate 'other side' opinion, they learn a lot about others and themselves.

Honored Contributor

@Pook  To quote: The little pristine gal is probably boring as all hel# and I'm guessing he is not really happy and would have been better off with the rebel or someone more free spirited but the tattoo he got her was surely not the reason for the breakup.

Isn't that a lot to assume?  Boring because she is "pristine?"

Honored Contributor

To me it is so sad that we've gotten to the point where people are afraid to have opinions, or JUDGED because they have opinions!  Opinions are ok. LIkes and dislikes are ok.  Or at least they used to be.

When this board started someone would say "Oh I just love gray."  Someone else might chime in "Oh gray just makes me sad.  I could never live with a gray room."  Or "Oh that's a color I would never pick." 

And everyone would be ok with that.  Nobody would be offended or hurt, they just expressed their opinions sometimes in rather strong ways without being shamed or feeling bad about saying what they were thinking.

Nobody was being" judged" and sent to hades.   Sad that we have to walk on eggshells nowdays without anyone ever having strong feelings about anything.  Even stuff like tattoos that doesn't matter a hill of beans. 

Valued Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@GenXmuse, absolutely no apology necessary - it's all good.  I started the post as my now 38 year old daughter recently said how sorry she was for the tat she got in her younger years 20 years ago.  In addition I see many women in my age group who recently got tats and was curious as to why.  I certainly was not looking to start commotion.  Not my style.  I come here to be light and pleasant, as those who have read my previous posts know, not to start trouble within the ranks.

I would far rather post with folks like you who have an opinion, state that opposing opinion, than with those who come to strictly attack.  Sorry some see this post as "stale" and those who are saccharine sweet and don't understand why I may be curious how other's think on things they don't understand.

Again, none of us can stop world hunger, the thing that keeps me up at night, or bring upon world peace.  If any of you can, hats off.  Peace @GenXmuse, as I think we're far more alike than different.  Respect, LuLu