Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  That is very kind of you. They are with me, always. I only mentioned that because so many I know with ink did so to commemorate someone they loved who has crossed over. A good friend of mine lost her daughter (who was 5) to a drunk driver. She has a little Lady Bug inked on the inside of her wrist as her daughter LOVED ladybugs so much that it became her nickname. 

Something very simple contains SO much emotion for her; it also brings her great peace. (just like mine does to me).

In the end, you never know. : )

Honored Contributor

Nay...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I think some of them are lovely. But they're not for me. Although I have toyed with the idea at various times. 

Was recently reading an interview with the actress Cissy Spacek who implored fans "Please don't get Carrie tattoos! Please!" Apparently she runs into a lot of young female fans with elaborate tattooes of Carrie at the prom. Google it. The tats are pretty astonishing. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Tattoos - Yea or Nay?

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam, bringing so much perspective to the table makes me understand the why and the wherefore.  Thank you for sharing your very personal story and that of your friend.  It puts a whole new thought process on why some people do what they do.  Best, LuLu

Trusted Contributor

Re: Tattoos - Yea or Nay?

[ Edited ]

A big nay.  I don't know why people, especially women, want to do that to their bodies.  And just because something is "acceptable in today's society" doesn't mean I have to accept it.

Super Contributor

I personally do not like them but those who get them don't care what I think.  Years ago I saw an aging woman, in a tank top, with wrinkly skin and what looked like a long stemmed rose tattooed across her chest.  She had a lot of sun damage to her skin and what might have once been a pretty red rose looked shriveled and brownish. 

People don't think ahead.  Bodies change.  But, to each her/his own.  

Super Contributor

When I was in my 20's my Dad showed me his tatoo's that he got while in the army air corps as a young lad.  He said, "this is why you don't get tatoo's".  They were faded, changed shapes due to skin elasticity, etc.  That combined with my indecisiveness regarding what I'd want on my body for my whole life caused me to remain tatoo free.  Now at 62 I'm not inclined.

New Contributor

A big nay!

Valued Contributor

@mcducky wrote:

When I was in my 20's my Dad showed me his tatoo's that he got while in the army air corps as a young lad.  He said, "this is why you don't get tatoo's".  They were faded, changed shapes due to skin elasticity, etc.  That combined with my indecisiveness regarding what I'd want on my body for my whole life caused me to remain tatoo free.  Now at 62 I'm not inclined.

When I was a kid a lot of male relatives had tattoos they got in the army. Man those things looked bad years later on middle-aged bodies. 

Even tattoos from "modern tattoo technology" fade in color and the lines begin to blur as soon as a year after they are inked. In time they no longer look as sharp and vibrant as they once did. 

I love the idea of getting a tattoo to memorialize a friend or loved one and can see myself doing that. 

However as someone who gets sick of her nail polish color within two days I can't see myself permanently happy with a tattoo that is nothing besides body decoration. 

And then you hear all these stories of young people getting ink to commemorate an event that a year later they'd prefer to forget. Like the large bicep tattoo Demi Moore's daughter Rumer got to commemorate her appearance on Dancing With the Stars. As painful and expensive as it is to get a tattoo it is vastly more pricey and painful to get it removed.  

Respected Contributor

Fourpaws56, I just don't believe in using skin as a canvas, regardless of how "well done" it might be. It looks bruised to me.