Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tattoos - Yea or Nay?

[ Edited ]

I always wanted to get a small tat on my right ankle, something like a butterfly or daisy but never got up the nerve.  I wish I had done it but now at my age I REALLY won't do it.

Lately I have noticed many more women have tattoos, lots of them, covering whole arms and even on their legs and backs.    I may not judge them, their choice, their bodies, but at the same time I see nothing attractive with what they chose to do with their bodies.  I just think people need to think long and hard about it before they do it because there could be dire consequences as a result of their choice.

I remember a couple of years ago I was waiting to see a doctor at an ER and a young girl was there with her grandparents.  She was eighteen years old and had a few tattoos which her grandfather was not happy about.  For whatever reason she decided to show him her newest one and he said, "Great, don't come to me when you can't get a job."

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I don’t judge others who don’t have tattoos. Why harsh on those that do?  It’s very unbecoming and small minded.  Now pat yourselves on the back. Go on.  I’ll wait. 

@GenXmuse, I don't think anyone is being harsh or small minded.  I asked a question out of curiosity.  I don't know your age, and don't care, but there really is a big difference in what was "socially acceptable" way back when when I was a teen and in my 20s.  Women didn't get tats, and most men that did were vets.  And like it or not, it was a deal breaker for many employers.  Seems to me you're the one being "harsh" and judgmental.  And btw, my daughter recently told my husband and I that she really is sorry she ever got one.  Now pushing 40 and a mother of 4, not wanting her kids to make the same "mistake" (her words, not mine) she spends a lot of time covering it up with dermablend. 

Do you want me to quote some of these posts? Admittedly, I am judgmental to those that are judgmental but not because they do or don’t have tattoos. 

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

Yep, a lot winging it goes on when you're trying to 'find yourself'.

BTW, I edited my post before your reply to include placement and color(s) can be key, though.  

Lovely tribute to your furkids.  8)

Honored Contributor

I've heard some people say they get addicted to getting them and so they keep getting more. My daughter got a couple of small ones as soon as she moved out because she knew I wasn't thrilled with the idea. My sister in law had one removed. It took quite a few treatments and she said the pain was awful. Yes people need to think about these things. I've read that some of the brighter inks can not be removed.

Valued Contributor

@GenXmuse, nope don't need you to quote any posts.  I've read them, including your very first sarcastic post replying to my original post.  No judgment was intended on my end.  As I said, I'm a live and let live kinda gal.  It was just a topic for civil discussion. Sorry you took it as more than intended.

Sadly, none of us are going to end world hunger here or bring peace to the world so I try to talk about lighter topics of interest to some. Peace out, LuLu

Honored Contributor

Re: Tattoos - Yea or Nay?

[ Edited ]

THere are MANY things that were once considered unacceptable by society that is now considered no big deal (Thank GOD for those changes). Body Ink is one of those things that you love or hate. I would put piercings in that grouping as well.

Body Ink still carries a stigma and being VERY honest, I've seen ink that looks bad, ink that is vulgar (and I mean VULGAR), ink that makes a person look like they haven't bathed in awhile (not sure if it's the color or the combo of color but their skin looks "dirty"). I've also seen beautiful pieces of work that you sit back and just admire.

The majority of people (including myself) I know with ink all have it in places you rarely (if ever) see unless you see them naked. We chose to have this ink later in life (late 30's plus). Last, we did so not out of rebellion, to be different, due a mid-life crisis but because it holds deep meaning. I don't know a single person who regrets it. Not. One.

There are people who have known me for 30 years and only found out this year I have ink...they saw me wearing flip flops and there it was. This started a conversation about it and to find out I had additional ink blew their mind because I didn't fit the "stereotype" they thought got tattoos. Mine are personal...I thought about them for a long time before getting each one. They represent major changes in my life that I experienced including the death of two of my children. Ironically, unless you're familiar with Celtic Druidic Symbols, you would never know that's what it was and that's how I WANT it to be; the ink is for ME and nobody else. Not to get a response, not to make a statement...nothing. It's the same reasons those I know chose what they chose to have placed permanently on their body.

Like, dislike, doesn't matter to me. To choose to think less of me because of my choice, that's on you.

Esteemed Contributor

Not my style.  What happens if I change my mind?  Better just not do it at all.  I like the small ones but some people are "decorated" all over.  

Valued Contributor

@SahmIam, I'm so very sorry about the death of your children.  I can't begin to imagine that pain.  I'm sincerely hoping you have found peace of heart.  Best, LuLu

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

@GenXmuse, nope don't need you to quote any posts.  I've read them, including your very first sarcastic post replying to my original post.  No judgment was intended on my end.  As I said, I'm a live and let live kinda gal.  It was just a topic for civil discussion. Sorry you took it as more than intended.

Sadly, none of us are going to end world hunger here or bring peace to the world so I try to talk about lighter topics of interest to some. Peace out, LuLu

Have at it, then. 

Honored Contributor

My new DIL is a well known tattoo artist. 

I'm always shocked when she posts pics of some of her work it's beautiful!  Her ability as a artist is incredible and she is booked 6 months in advance as her clients want only her.

I was certainly shocked when my son(s) started getting them but more shocked at the cost!  Not for me -- I hate needles😳😉