Respected Contributor

Re: Tattoo Inks and Cancer Link

With all the concerns I have read about on the beauty forum, I would think people would take this seriously.

Some people investigate and worry about every ingredient in a face cream.  I choose not to, but that's my decision.

The ink is injected into the body, superficially, but enough to remain.  So IF beauty products are concerning, I would look into this too.

There are some people that have them almost everywhere.  It probably does deserve more investigation.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

With all the concerns I have read about on the beauty forum, I would think people would take this seriously.

Some people investigate and worry about every ingredient in a face cream.  I choose not to, but that's my decision.

The ink is injected into the body, superficially, but enough to remain.  So IF beauty products are concerning, I would look into this too.

There are some people that have them almost everywhere.  It probably does deserve more investigation.

Hyacinth

And I choose not to fret over the "possible dangers" of tattoos.

And that is my decision.

Esteemed Contributor

Everything under the sun seems to cause cancer.

I had breast cancer and I asked why? I was told the environment as in chemicals in things in our homes, in the air, in our foods. And its in your genes. however I don't have that gene. So who knows why I got it.

But it does amaze me how people worry about certain things like cigarettes or eating organic foods, but don't seem to worry about the poisons in our environment enough to do something. Also I don't drink alchohol, but I was asked if I do drink wine like a lot of women. And I heard that's not good for you either and can cause cancer. But people drink up all the time.

Lastly, my parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles never got cancer or died of cancer, except for one aunt who lived a healthy lifestyle. The rest all died of other things. So its my thinking it has to do with something we do "now days" since there seems to be so much more cancer than in say my grandparents day.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Hyacinth

Excellent points @hyacinth003. Makes no sense to be so wary of cosmetics ingredients (or foods, or supplements, etc) yet unconcerned about unregulated tattoo inks.

Respected Contributor

I would not be surprised.  Nothing is safe.  I have never understood doing something to your body that is permanent.  I think of what a stupid tattoo I would have gotten at a young age and have to live with it now and how wrinkled and ugly the tattoo would look at my age (65).  I worked in a medical office and older men would come in that got a tattoo when they were young and you could not even tell what it was. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmeesmerelda wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Hyacinth

Excellent points @hyacinth003. Makes no sense to be so wary of cosmetics ingredients (or foods, or supplements, etc) yet unconcerned about unregulated tattoo inks.

Unconcerned? I'm going to repeat my post. I would like to see an article that shows tattoos = cancer not tattoos may cause cancer. No one has produced this yet. Permanent makeup are considered tattoos. This is considered safe. Can someone produce an article from a legitimate science-based or news source that shows this causes cancer. Tattoos have been around for two thousand years. If the ink causes cancer I want proof not speculation.

TIA.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

l hadn't heard this, but l can't say l'm surprised. There's been a supposed link between hair dyes and cancer for decades, and this is the same principle. I do color my hair, though. (Not to change my natural color... just to cover the grey, lol).

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read a few posts, so far.  I'm now thinking that it all depends on our individual bodies.  We are so bombarded by so many chemicals all around us, that perhaps some of our bodies just can't 'handle' the input.  Sort of a body in 'confusion', not knowing exactly how to respond.  Therefore, possibly in 'flee or fight' mode, involving our immune systems.   Just a thought.   ......... p.s.  Haven't there been studies/research finding several chemicals in babies' urine?  I recall hearing/reading something similar.  They, too, might be exposed to chemicals in clothing/detergents/dryer sheets, etc.  A possibility, of course.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

'All in all', I do think that those of us who are very sensitive to a variety of things, possibly have 'different' viewpoints regarding chemicals in our environment/surroundings/products, etc.   Some of us immediately 'know' what bothers our individual bodies/systems and we tend to 'keep away'.   (Our bodies immediately react to our 'triggers' and prompt us to keep away.)  Just another thought of mine, as usual.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In thinking a bit more about this subject, I'm surprised at the difference in the way we choose to have regulations in place for some things and not others.    As an example, vitamins and supplements are not regulated, and the various independent tests have found an alarming inconsistency in samples.   I remember one investigation found things like finely ground houseplants in some OTC supplements.   On the one hand, we seem to see a growing interest in the chemicals and additives in foods we ingest, the cosmetics we use, but on the other hand we mock or reject regulations and/or scientific studies.   We're strange creatures, us hoomans.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova