Honored Contributor

Re: Target a major fail in Canada - closing all its stores

On 1/15/2015 straykatz said:

Many of my friends and family were excited to hear Target was coming to Canada...they had shopped in them when visiting the US....however....the pricing structure in Canada was much higher than the US and from my friends perspective they felt like Target was not treating them fairly with higher price tags.....one of my cousins even said she felt Target must think they are fools who can't see the higher pricing compared to the US stores....interesting that Target opted to price higher because right now the Canadian dollar is higher than the US dollar so I would have though the prices would have been the same or lower.

Pricing has always been higher in Canada...geez...how much higher were the prices at Canadian Targets?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2015 muttmom said:

I never got the memo when Target became the in place to shop.

When we married in 1973, Target was nothing more than a low level store. It was when people called it Tar-jay' just to class it up. I recall people getting more excited about K-Mart and Walmart.

Low level store, I have never thought of it as that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2015 straykatz said:
On 1/15/2015 Hooty said:

I am not a big fan of Target myself, only time I really go is when I am looking for things for Granddaughters or getting their gift cards, their mother loves Target!

Same here...I have a couple nieces that love Target so they get Target gift cards from me for birthdays/Christmas.

Not a fan either. The times I have gone there stock is too lean as in if you need a set of something forget it.

I also think they really cater to families with little kids. I know when my kids where little 17+ years ago I shopped at Kmart et al all the time.

I don't need that kind of store now.

Honored Contributor

When we married in 1973, Target was nothing more than a low level store. It was when people called it Tar-jay' just to class it up. I recall people getting more excited about K-Mart and Walmart.

1973? Target wasn't even out here at that time. I suspect they're a totally different store now than what you saw more than 40 years ago.

KMart has gone out of business around here, and there is no Walmart in this area. I have been to those two stores and can honestly say Target is a much classier store than either one of them. Target also gets well known designers to do clothes for them for a limited time. Isaac Mizrahi designed for Target before he came to the Q.

It's a favorite store in Northern CA, and that also means in moneyed areas. Nothing "low level" about it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

Hi posters. I'm Canadian. Target has already lost more than one billion $ in Canada so it is no surprise that they are leaving. I have shopped US Target for some time as have most Canadians I know. They really had a bad launch here. Prices 30%+ higher than Walmart, very low stock in the stores and not much selection. This shopping experience in Canada is not at all like shopping Target US. They got off on a bad foot and never recovered. Any time I went there, the stores were empty. In addition, they had huge staff ... Very unlike their competitors. That was surprising to me. We have gotten used to fairly lean store personnel. I think it backfired because these employees followed you around the store trying to help when people just wanted to be left alone to shop. The hovering salesperson ... No one likes that.

I am sorry this didn't work for them. I like the US stores. The retail bricks and mortar space continues to be challenged by online shopping here. LM

Honored Contributor

It seems odd to me that they would think Target would replace a department store. Seriously, it's as far from 'department store' as a Walmart or Kmart (not putting either down, but it's in the same shopping category).

If they are wanting a department store, they should go for Macy's or Nordstroms. Now, those are what are commonly known as department stores. Smiley Happy

I always liked the Target store. It's just that they are definitely not a department store. The one in this small city moved, a number of years ago, to a location WAY south of town so I haven't been there in years.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have read the merchandise and availability in Canadian stores was much different than in the US. The data breach over the holidays last year really hurt Targets response time into trying to work out the Canadian stores problems as well. It is a shame because living in Buffalo, I know a lot of Canadians who came over the border just for Target. They were excited to get their own.

BTW, the Target of the 1970's was a completely different store than the Target of the 90's and up.

They have Targets in Australia but in name only. Stella McCarthy had a line there in 2006-2007 and it was awesome. I got several pieces. They also have Dita Von Teese designing lingerie and Roberto Cavalli has a line too.

Jason Wu, Issac and Zac Posen have all had lines in American Targets. I liked a lot of stuff they had.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Canada has a store chain called Winners, good competition, more like Marshalls.

Respected Contributor

On 1/15/2015 NoelSeven said:

1973? Target wasn't even out here at that time. I suspect they're a totally different store now than what you saw more than 40 years ago.

KMart has gone out of business around here, and there is no Walmart in this area. I have been to those two stores and can honestly say Target is a much classier store than either one of them. Target also gets well known designers to do clothes for them for a limited time. Isaac Mizrahi designed for Target before he came to the Q.

It's a favorite store in Northern CA, and that also means in moneyed areas. Nothing "low level" about it.

Because Target wasn't even out here in 1973, doesn't mean there were not Targets in other areas of the country. They were discount mart type stores back then much the same as they are today. Target is not the only discount store that has merchandise lines with designer labels.

I live in Westchester County NY and we too are considered a moneyed area. Target is the place you go to when you do not want to pay department store prices for housewares, home decor, garden supplies and patio and pool items.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/15/2015 Shelbelle said:

Canada has a store chain called Winners, good competition, more like Marshalls.

Interesting to note that Winners is owned by Marshalls. Winners is highly successful here and Marshalls has been here for a couple of years and are doing very well. They had no misstep with prices, product availability, etc like Target. The U.S. and Canadian stores are almost identical. Not the case with Target at all. LM