Honored Contributor

Re: Target Reorganizes Their Toy Section

@Lila Belle wrote:
Frankly, I'd worry about someone who doesn't know how to navigate a toy aisle, beach-mom.

Just ask any kid.

It's not always an issue of not knowing how to navigate a toy aisle.  I don't have any children or any nieces and nephews. When my friends started to have kids and we were invited to all the b-day parties, I wanted a toy that was useful, that they would like and possibly learn from.

Toy aisles are full of junk toys. QVC and HSN sell a lot of junk to poor grandparents, etc. who don't know. 

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I think it's to avoid gender-stereotyping, which I think is a good thing.

I think it's a good thing, too. 

It it may be PC, but I'd be highly annoyed if I was actually looking for a toy for a child and had to hunt through the entire toy section to find one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
Frankly, I'd worry about someone who doesn't know how to navigate a toy aisle, beach-mom.

Just ask any kid.

It's not always an issue of not knowing how to navigate a toy aisle.  I don't have any children or any nieces and nephews. When my friends started to have kids and we were invited to all the b-day parties, I wanted a toy that was useful, that they would like and possibly learn from.

Toy aisles are full of junk toys. QVC and HSN sell a lot of junk to poor grandparents, etc. who don't know. 

I agree with you, there's a lot of junk.  So what did you choose?  For my daughter, SciFi was always a winner.  I wouldn't say that was useful, but she put it to good use writing.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

after I saw that sign in question, I agree with their decision.  My jaw dropped open when I read a sign that said "building sets" and then "girls building sets"

huh?

Anyway, toys will still have the labels of dolls, trucks/cars, building sets, etc.  They just won't have boy or girl in front of them

as far as clothing goes, well, that is just a strawman argument.    Toys are different from clothes - sizing, hip to waist measurements, shoulder to chest measurements, etc. .  Oh and I have a friend who is so tiny and petite - she can purchase jeans and tees in the boys department for much less.   So, women are already purchasing clothing from the boys department for themselves.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

Just ask any kid.

I agree with you, there's a lot of junk.  So what did you choose?  For my daughter, SciFi was always a winner.  I wouldn't say that was useful, but she put it to good use writing.

I don't even remember. This was years ago.  The kids are all driving now and one is going away to college.    My biggest thing was I just wanted them to play with it or use it and like it.  I didn't want it to get tossed aside or break the first time.

It was so much easier when they got into watching videos and such because then I could just buy them DVDs.  LOL 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@biancardi wrote:

after I saw that sign in question, I agree with their decision.  My jaw dropped open when I read a sign that said "building sets" and then "girls building sets"

huh?

Anyway, toys will still have the labels of dolls, trucks/cars, building sets, etc.  They just won't have boy or girl in front of them

as far as clothing goes, well, that is just a strawman argument.    Toys are different from clothes - sizing, hip to waist measurements, shoulder to chest measurements, etc. .  Oh and I have a friend who is so tiny and petite - she can purchase jeans and tees in the boys department for much less.   So, women are already purchasing clothing from the boys department for themselves.

I'm not talking about the actual garments themselves, I'm talking about the signs.  Besides that, obviously transgenders and cross dressers aren't having a problem with buying clothing not made for their particular shapes. So no, clothing isn't different.  

I graduated from high school with a guy who wore girls pants only.  All his pants came from The Limited.  He was thin and slim in the hips with no butt at all and girls pants just fit him better.   

Honored Contributor

I don't even remember. This was years ago.  The kids are all driving now and one is going away to college.    My biggest thing was I just wanted them to play with it or use it and like it.  I didn't want it to get tossed aside or break the first time.

It was so much easier when they got into watching videos and such because then I could just buy them DVDs.  LOL 

I get you! Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Apples and oranges. By the time you're an adult, you can well figure out whether you want to buy men's or women's clothing...same with perfumes (colognes), etc.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I think it's to avoid gender-stereotyping, which I think is a good thing.

I think it's a good thing, too. 

It it may be PC, but I'd be highly annoyed if I was actually looking for a toy for a child and had to hunt through the entire toy section to find one.

I don't see how that's going to happen when the aisles are clearly labeled as to what's there.  Dolls, trucks, Superheros, etc.

Honored Contributor

I remember shopping for jeans in college, a bunch of us went together and went directly to a men's store.  They didn't have great jeans for women then like they do now.

The manager told us they had women coming in all the time to buy jeans from the men's store.