Trusted Contributor

Re: Target Reorganizes Their Toy Section

And the world gets more stupid every single day.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  As usual, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  And now Target has decided to cater to the minority.  I sent them a message (which will fall on deaf ears) letting them know that I will no longer shop with Target.  I am SOOO sick of this kind of stuff.  Geez.

Honored Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

I don't know if this has anything to do with the sign for the girl's building sets or not:

I was speaking with a friend of mine recently. Her young granddaughter had had minor surgery and they had sent a set of pink building Legos to her. The girl was thrilled and got to buy another set. I guess Lego had decided to manufacture specifically to young girls in shades of pink. Perhaps the sign for Girls building sets was informational: letting the parents know that the girl's sets were with the "traditional" building sets and not located with the dolls-

I haven't had to buy Legos in years but I know the girls in my classroom played with the buidling sets that I had right along with the boys. Some may have preferred sets in pink, some may not have.  All they really cared about at age 5 was building something. But there were always some parents who felt Legos were for boys and not for girls.

Good point, I have no problem with a variety of colors.  It's nice if there's something for everyone.

BTW, My Little Pony has become popular with boys, and not just really little boys.  I wonder if any of the marketing has changed there?  I'll try to remember to look the next time I'm in Target.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

And the world gets more stupid every single day.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  As usual, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  And now Target has decided to cater to the minority.  I sent them a message (which will fall on deaf ears) letting them know that I will no longer shop with Target.  I am SOOO sick of this kind of stuff.  Geez.

What is it that you find so offensive about the outcome -- the removal of signs that label a toy as being for a girl or boy?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

I don't understand why you are angry about it.  From all reports, Target jumped at the chance because they agreed.

What is the big deal?  I don't understand the anger generated.

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

Aren't there more important issues in this world that need to be reorganized!!!

There are a lot more important things going on, but this forum does not permit talking about them.  So here we are going back and forth about boy/girl signs.  

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

What is it that you find so offensive about the outcome -- the removal of signs that label a toy as being for a girl or boy?

First of all, I'm not offended -- I'm downright mad about it.  I happen to be one that still knows there is a difference in boys and girls.  If a person feels the need to buy a Barbie Doll for their son, they have always been able to do that.  The "signage" hasn't stopped that from happening.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@12andcounting wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

First of all, I'm not offended -- I'm downright mad about it.  I happen to be one that still knows there is a difference in boys and girls.  If a person feels the need to buy a Barbie Doll for their son, they have always been able to do that.  The "signage" hasn't stopped that from happening.

The signage has stopped a lot of kids from getting a toy they wanted, especially when an adult would tell them that's a boy's toy or that's a girl's toy.

That's one of the reasons we have so few females in science and engineering.  Thank goodness that's changing.

Honored Contributor

I went to Toys R Us often when my daughter was little.  For her and for presents for her friends.

It was always clearly marked that a certain section was for girls and another was for boys.

The girls' section was all about Barbie, little kitchen sinks and stoves, jewelry making kits, princess gowns, etc.

The boy's section had the fun stuff, chemistry sets, Legos, building sets, and SciFi figurines.

THAT was shaping behavior for children, and it was definitely carving out their interests for them.

Honored Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

I don't know if this has anything to do with the sign for the girl's building sets or not:

I was speaking with a friend of mine recently. Her young granddaughter had had minor surgery and they had sent a set of pink building Legos to her. The girl was thrilled and got to buy another set. I guess Lego had decided to manufacture specifically to young girls in shades of pink. Perhaps the sign for Girls building sets was informational: letting the parents know that the girl's sets were with the "traditional" building sets and not located with the dolls-

I haven't had to buy Legos in years but I know the girls in my classroom played with the buidling sets that I had right along with the boys. Some may have preferred sets in pink, some may not have.  All they really cared about at age 5 was building something. But there were always some parents who felt Legos were for boys and not for girls.

It's called Lego friends.  I have a nephew who is obsessed with Legos and my nieces are thrilled they don't have to share with him anymore since they can now build objects more geared to their interests rather than his.  

Esteemed Contributor

"Signage" is what labels the toys by gender which most adults see as only a sign and not the stigma some children may feel. Many children see these as negative social cues.

Little boys love to play "house" too as evidenced with kitchen sets being standard in almost every pre-school and kindergarten classroom. Play is a child's work. Lots of burly men had dolls as young children or treated a stuffed toy as a baby.

Packaging a toy by gender stifles creativity and we all know how girls especially feel about science and math as they mature. By not having girly building sets and limiting their creativity it might level the playing field in STEM subjects in school and fields of study.