Valued Contributor

Re: Target Reorganizes Their Toy Section

@surfk wrote:

@betteb wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

As I understand it, a mom took a photo of a Target sign that said "Building Sets" and below it, it said "Girls' Building Sets."  She complained that the sets for girls were mostly pink and different than the sets for boys.

Target agreed and has taken down the signs which label toys as for boys or girls.

But there has been a big backlash against Target for doing this.

I understand what happened, but I do not understand why some people are so upset about it.  It's all over the news.

I have not read all the replies, but I don't get it either really. As I unnderstand it, they put traditional girls toys (dolls, etc) in an isle marked with a pink sign and boys (X-Men figures, etc) in an isle marked with a blue sign. I think this was done to help adults find a baby doll for their girl and a toy train for their boy.

What does this teach children? Nothing. We teach children the distinction of blue is for boys and pink is for girls, not an isle in a store.

While that is true that its we who teach our kids about gender issues...to some degree (I mean, we do live in a broader society in which there are many other influences than just at the family table), I think the heart of the issue isn't PINK vs BLUE or a sign which reads GIRLS or one that reads BOYS.

Its also a matter of how toys are designated as they're then stocked in each of those pink-girl aisles or blue-boy aisles.

Not every toy is a Barbie. Not every other toy is a soldier bazooka kit.

There are a lot of other toys which wind up down one or the other of those two symbolic aisles.

Its not just the dollys and the tanks which people are talking about when wishing for the gender color thing and labels to be dropped.

One might notice that a lot of the geology or building sets or science-related items often wind up designated for or labeled under BOYS.

And certain other interests - which aren't intrinsicially gender-specific but more associated perhaps with girls culturally or color wise wind up in the pink or GIRLS section.

So if one is looking for anything BUT a Barbie dress up kit for one's daughter, often, one has to go to the BOY'S aisle to find it.

Or if a boy wants to be a chef or finds drawing to be his interest, so often everything related to those interests are stocked under the label of "FOR GIRLS".

But they're really not just for girls.

Same as a microscope kit isn't just for BOYS. But generally there one will find them located.

Most arguments also seem to think its all about BOYS now running out to buy Barbies.

But really, the removal of gender signs faaaaar more benefits girls.

Traditionally, if one looks, BOYS sections of toy aisles, while they have army kits and blow up trucks also carry a wiiiide assortment of items of many other disciplines or areas of interest.

Especially as compared to the muuuuch narrow range of items one will find for girls in the GIRLS section. GIRLS aisles tend to be loaded in dolls, dress up sets, color me pretty items and sparkly pink rainbows and unicorns.

Not every girl's sole area of interest these days.

So removing the signs simply frees it all up.

If shoppers in a Target store can't find a shelf loaded in Barbie dolls without a sign over head pointing to them, then, well, they're pretty lost. One wonders how they even got themselves to the Target store in the first place.

And trust me, if a person can find a wicker basket at Target, one will hardly miss the shelf full of Tonka trucks.

Heck, people even make it around a Costco or other warehouse store and they can still find the beans without huge signs pointing to them. lol

As for Target's decision itself, they state plainly that they did it in response to demands by their customers/their customer base.

So if one isn't a Target shopper, it barely matters what one might think since one won't be in any of their stores to get lost between the whole two aisles given to toys. lol

Heck, I could find a Barbie doll in any store on planet Earth. They're hard to miss even if they're hidden away in the Hardware section. Smiley LOL

If there was a decent thumbs up emotie on this site I'd use it here @surfk!

Valued Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@surfk wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

No little girls in this house--

I love being able to quickly glance at an aisle and determine if those are girl toys or boy toys.  A sea of pink is a good indicator that there is no need for me to venture that way.  Saves time.  I hope they don't start organizing Barbie in aisle next to Tonka trucks.

What would happen if they ever come out with a "Construction Site Contractor" Barbie though?

Why, I'm afraid your head might blow up or something. lol

Her post did not merit this type of response

I THINK THE ORIGINAL POSTER was saying she has "boys" in the most (those days) PC correct way possible,,,they are boys, they want trucks, cars, sports...like my boy did...He would have have thrown up if I tried to make him play with a doll "because he needed to be gender neutral"   I WAS A GIRLY GIRL, I NEVER wanted to have anything to do with anything boy, still don"t, do not like the PC correct football, My sister is a tom boy to the max, 65 yrs old and even back then, she knew whwere to find the toys she wanted, she could care less if the were labeled boy..POINT IS, kids will be what they are going to be, why do we have to be PC and "try" to push them to be "gender neutral?"  Going to make the true girly girls and the true boys, question what is wrong with them, they will be the ones who KNOW what they want and like but society will be trying to tell them they are worng.....it is getting nuts with this PC business.   WHY can;t we let kids be kids anymore?

Honored Contributor

@stazgirl wrote:

I THINK THE ORIGINAL POSTER was saying she has "boys" in the most (those days) PC correct way possible,,,they are boys, they want trucks, cars, sports...like my boy did...He would have have thrown up if I tried to make him play with a doll "because he needed to be gender neutral"   I WAS A GIRLY GIRL, I NEVER wanted to have anything to do with anything boy, still don"t, do not like the PC correct football, My sister is a tom boy to the max, 65 yrs old and even back then, she knew whwere to find the toys she wanted, she could care less if the were labeled boy..POINT IS, kids will be what they are going to be, why do we have to be PC and "try" to push them to be "gender neutral?"  Going to make the true girly girls and the true boys, question what is wrong with them, they will be the ones who KNOW what they want and like but society will be trying to tell them they are worng.....it is getting nuts with this PC business.   WHY can;t we let kids be kids anymore?

Just the opposite.  Target and those of us supporting them are saying let the kids make their own choice.  If a boy wants a doll, don't have a sign telling him it's for girls.

If a girl wants a truck or construction set, don't have a sign in that aisle saying those toys are for boys.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Valued Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@stazgirl wrote:

Just the opposite.  Target and those of us supporting them are saying let the kids make their own choice.  If a boy wants a doll, don't have a sign telling him it's for girls.

If a girl wants a truck or construction set, don't have a sign in that aisle saying those toys are for boys.

The kids do make their own choices,  Boys or girls who REALLY want to cross the toy lines BY THEMSELFVES and play with dolls for boys, trucks for girls will, just as they always have, I am just saying, that I believe all of this pushing of "gender neutral" on kids is silly,  there have always been girls who played with trucks and sports and always been boys who played dolls and dress up, and THEY (the kids) have been just fine, Why do grown-ups (as usual) feel the need to come in a re-brand it and make it into something of a big deal?  JUST MY OPINION..

Honored Contributor

No, they don't make their own choices, many of them turn away from opposite gender labeled toys because they are embarrassed or know they will be made fun of by the bullies.

The idea is NOT to rebrand it, but simply to not brand it at all.

It amazes me that anyone can find fault with that.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not find fault, I just fail to see why it is being made out to be a big deal, I have raised kids, had my step kids and now have grandkids and when we go to the toy stoy aisle, they just pick out what they want. My grand daughter has picked hot wheels cars and my grandson has picked out a baton. NEVER ONCE have any of the kids I have taken to a store with me say "OH NO< THIS IS GIRL/BOYS!!! GASP< I CAN NOT BUY HERE.  I think it is an over reaction. and I (JUST ME) feel that just taking away a sign is NOT going to give a little boy the strength needed to buy a Barbie doll or a little girl the gumption to buy a tonka truck if they are not already comfortable in their skin.  My sister was picking out trucks 60 yrs ago when the were "just for boys" and she turned out just fine.

And sign or not, the "bullies' both young and old will ALWAYS be there.  I am 56 yrs old, I HATE football and I STILL get poked at work by women because apparently LOVING sports is also PC these days. (whether you do or don't)

Honored Contributor

"The kids do make their own choices,  Boys or girls who REALLY want to cross the toy lines BY THEMSELFVES and play with dolls for boys, trucks for girls will, just as they always have, I am just saying, that I believe all of this pushing of "gender neutral" on kids is silly,  there have always been girls who played with trucks and sports and always been boys who played dolls and dress up, and THEY (the kids) have been just fine, Why do grown-ups (as usual) feel the need to come in a re-brand it and make it into something of a big deal?  JUST MY OPINION.."

Smiley Surprised  I just read negative comments from you about boys who are Bronies or get involved with other boys who like My Little Ponies.  On the one hand, you say the kids can decide for themselves, but then you get upset about a boy showing interest in My Little Ponies. 

No one has pushed for gender neutral, but it seems you're worried some kids might not choose what you think would be the correct toy for them.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

"The kids do make their own choices,  Boys or girls who REALLY want to cross the toy lines BY THEMSELFVES and play with dolls for boys, trucks for girls will, just as they always have, I am just saying, that I believe all of this pushing of "gender neutral" on kids is silly,  there have always been girls who played with trucks and sports and always been boys who played dolls and dress up, and THEY (the kids) have been just fine, Why do grown-ups (as usual) feel the need to come in a re-brand it and make it into something of a big deal?  JUST MY OPINION.."

Smiley Surprised  I just read negative comments from you about boys who are Bronies or get involved with other boys who like My Little Ponies.  On the one hand, you say the kids can decide for themselves, but then you get upset about a boy showing interest in My Little Ponies. 

No one has pushed for gender neutral, but it seems you're worried some kids might not choose what you think would be the correct toy for them.

When did I poke fun at boys for playing with the ponies?  I didn"t. I said the organzation here in Phoenix for MEN who like the ponies came across as a "fetish" club.IT IS FOR GROWN MEN< NOT BOYS! ..I HAVE NEVER Said a little boy could not play with my ponies .  I think children should be able to "CHOOSE" for themselves and not made to feel excluded or pushed anyway...I have said my grand daughter plays with hot wheels and my grandson has a baton AND BOTH ARE FINE WITH ME....you have me confused with some other poster.