Honored Contributor

Re: Target Reorganizes Their Toy Section

IG, you were so lucky to have your own horse!  Not doable in the middle of a city, lol.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

IG, you were so lucky to have your own horse!  Not doable in the middle of a city, lol.

I gotcha'!

I moved from the city to an island that was very sparsely populated when we first moved here, but not now!

There were already riding trails thru the woods, which was nice. I'd pack both of us a lunch and disappear for the day!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

"There were already riding trails thru the woods, which was nice. I'd pack both of us a lunch and disappear for the day!"

Be still my heart!  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Once again the minority is calling the shots.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls wrote:

I know it's very upsetting to some, but Target agreed wholeheartedly.

I think most of the people against this move don't have children, at least not girls.

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

As I understand it, a mom took a photo of a Target sign that said "Building Sets" and below it, it said "Girls' Building Sets."  She complained that the sets for girls were mostly pink and different than the sets for boys.

Target agreed and has taken down the signs which label toys as for boys or girls.

But there has been a big backlash against Target for doing this.

I understand what happened, but I do not understand why some people are so upset about it.  It's all over the news.

I have not read all the replies, but I don't get it either really. As I unnderstand it, they put traditional girls toys (dolls, etc) in an isle marked with a pink sign and boys (X-Men figures, etc) in an isle marked with a blue sign. I think this was done to help adults find a baby doll for their girl and a toy train for their boy.

What does this teach children? Nothing. We teach children the distinction of blue is for boys and pink is for girls, not an isle in a store.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

I think most of the people against this move don't have children, at least not girls.

It is not upsetting, it is a ridiculous waste of time. 

Actually, most boy's toy departments are mostly black, not blue.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

We discussed this yesterday at the salon.  Many of the employess and clients were mothers of girls.  Everyone thought the topic was ridiculous. Not one person thought the change was necessary.

Respected Contributor

Jmho but I think it's totally and completely

unnecessary to mark toy sections

by gender specific.  I also think the whole thing got

too much attention and I don't really understand why.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@betteb wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

As I understand it, a mom took a photo of a Target sign that said "Building Sets" and below it, it said "Girls' Building Sets."  She complained that the sets for girls were mostly pink and different than the sets for boys.

Target agreed and has taken down the signs which label toys as for boys or girls.

But there has been a big backlash against Target for doing this.

I understand what happened, but I do not understand why some people are so upset about it.  It's all over the news.

I have not read all the replies, but I don't get it either really. As I unnderstand it, they put traditional girls toys (dolls, etc) in an isle marked with a pink sign and boys (X-Men figures, etc) in an isle marked with a blue sign. I think this was done to help adults find a baby doll for their girl and a toy train for their boy.

What does this teach children? Nothing. We teach children the distinction of blue is for boys and pink is for girls, not an isle in a store.

While that is true that its we who teach our kids about gender issues...to some degree (I mean, we do live in a broader society in which there are many other influences than just at the family table), I think the heart of the issue isn't PINK vs BLUE or a sign which reads GIRLS or one that reads BOYS.

Its also a matter of how toys are designated as they're then stocked in each of those pink-girl aisles or blue-boy aisles.

Not every toy is a Barbie. Not every other toy is a soldier bazooka kit.

There are a lot of other toys which wind up down one or the other of those two symbolic aisles.

Its not just the dollys and the tanks which people are talking about when wishing for the gender color thing and labels to be dropped.

One might notice that a lot of the geology or building sets or science-related items often wind up designated for or labeled under BOYS.

And certain other interests - which aren't intrinsicially gender-specific but more associated perhaps with girls culturally or color wise wind up in the pink or GIRLS section.

So if one is looking for anything BUT a Barbie dress up kit for one's daughter, often, one has to go to the BOY'S aisle to find it.

Or if a boy wants to be a chef or finds drawing to be his interest, so often everything related to those interests are stocked under the label of "FOR GIRLS".

But they're really not just for girls.

Same as a microscope kit isn't just for BOYS. But generally there one will find them located.

Most arguments also seem to think its all about BOYS now running out to buy Barbies.

But really, the removal of gender signs faaaaar more benefits girls.

Traditionally, if one looks, BOYS sections of toy aisles, while they have army kits and blow up trucks also carry a wiiiide assortment of items of many other disciplines or areas of interest.

Especially as compared to the muuuuch narrow range of items one will find for girls in the GIRLS section. GIRLS aisles tend to be loaded in dolls, dress up sets, color me pretty items and sparkly pink rainbows and unicorns.

Not every girl's sole area of interest these days.

So removing the signs simply frees it all up.

If shoppers in a Target store can't find a shelf loaded in Barbie dolls without a sign over head pointing to them, then, well, they're pretty lost. One wonders how they even got themselves to the Target store in the first place.

And trust me, if a person can find a wicker basket at Target, one will hardly miss the shelf full of Tonka trucks.

Heck, people even make it around a Costco or other warehouse store and they can still find the beans without huge signs pointing to them. lol

As for Target's decision itself, they state plainly that they did it in response to demands by their customers/their customer base.

So if one isn't a Target shopper, it barely matters what one might think since one won't be in any of their stores to get lost between the whole two aisles given to toys. lol

Heck, I could find a Barbie doll in any store on planet Earth. They're hard to miss even if they're hidden away in the Hardware section. Smiley LOL