Esteemed Contributor

Re: Talk about destroying Christmas

After clearing out, dispersing and disposing of all the cr*p of three parental residences in the last few years, I am NOT buying a darn thing, as far as decorations.  I don't care how "cute", "pretty", "heirloom quality", blah, blah, blah anything is.  All I can think of is the day that will come, sooner than I think, that those items will be given away, donated, or thrown out.

I am going to enjoy what I have and that is that.  QVC does seem to be overdoing it with the CIJ.  The other day, their was Christmas stuff on all three channels that I get, at the same time.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

QVC has a way of running an idea into the ground.  If an idea takes off, they just push it with more, more, more of the same.  IMO this is what has happened to Christmas in July.  Maybe a little programming would be tolerable, but I feel like so many-it is overdone.  I too am tired, sick of, fed up with QVC's Christmas in July.

@maximillian After your first sentence, it reminded me of when QVC was selling that druzy jewelry.  It was on constantly, all different configurations and colors of druzy.  Then it seemed like it stopped as soon as it started.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I figure people who complain about this have complaining as a hobby.  Christmas stuff is being sold.  This is a problem?  Really?  They sell lots of stuff I don't like.  I ignore it.  

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

It really is GREED ,on the part of them doing this.

@goldensrbest  It is NOT greed for a business to try to make money! What the Q sells is, for the most part, not necessary to life...therefore, it's our choice to buy it or not. But they have every right to try to make a profit.

Valued Contributor

Millions of people have been shopping for Christmas items in the last 30 days, as is evident by multiple sell out items. People love to create a warm, festive home for the holidays, and there’s nothing wrong with that. People can complain all they want about “true meaning” of the season being ignored, but Christmas isn’t Christmas without lights, ornaments, presents, parties, and Santa. All these aspects have always coexisted together, and to the degree to which one focuses on any of these aspects is up to the individual. You have a choice to celebrate any or all aspects of the season. Do your own thing, and ignore the unhappy people who try to control you.

Honored Contributor

I have DVR'd some of the Christmas in July programming, mainly the Valerie shows.  I end up not watching much of them, but what I do watch is fun and gives me decorating ideas.  I haven't purchased any Christmas stuff.

If anyone's read "Under the Volcano",  it's kind of like that.  The protagonist (who I think is some sort of British consul or something, it's been too long since I read it!) is posted in warm, vivid, beautiful Mexico.  But his fantasy escape is cool, remote, woodsy British Columbia, and having that fantasy before him, keeps him going!

The festive rooms, candles and decor are that fantasy escape for me, and I enjoy it for what it is.  I don't find that it destroys in any way my reverence for and appreciation of the true, deep meaning of Christmas.   

Respected Contributor

There's more drama here than on a soap opera.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

For those who say the the Q keeps pushing Christmas "earlier and earlier" every year, QVC has been doing Christmas in July for at LEAST  10 YEARS now.

QVC doing Christmas in July is nothing new.

@Anonymous032819, while QVC has been doing Christmas in July for at least 10 years, not that many years ago, it was only 2 days in July. They did it on the 24th and 25th of the month or very close to it.

Then they began adding days at the beginning of July as a preview. Then added days later in the month as a wrap up and now this year, they pushed it into the end of June.  And let's not forget all the Christmas shows they've also had on Q2.

So yes, QVC is definitley pushing it earlier and earlier and more and more. 

But like so much other stuff, QVC isn't just selling Christmas stuff, they are selling an image of a warm and fuzzy Christmas.  The image of a happy family gathered around the perfect tree, lights aglow. That isn't reality for a lot of people but if QVC can sell that image to people, they get customers buying these tzochkies in the hopes of having the perfect holiday QVC is trying to sell.  

Look at the spiel when selling clothing.  It's for pumpking picking, applie picking, picking out a Christmas tree, all the holiday parties, blah, blah, blah.  In reality, not that many people have as many holiday parties as the hosts try and sell you clothes for and people don't buy a special outfit to go get a tree.    

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

For those who say the the Q keeps pushing Christmas "earlier and earlier" every year, QVC has been doing Christmas in July for at LEAST  10 YEARS now.

QVC doing Christmas in July is nothing new.

@Anonymous032819, while QVC has been doing Christmas in July for at least 10 years, not that many years ago, it was only 2 days in July. They did it on the 24th and 25th of the month or very close to it.

Then they began adding days at the beginning of July as a preview. Then added days later in the month as a wrap up and now this year, they pushed it into the end of June.  And let's not forget all the Christmas shows they've also had on Q2.

So yes, QVC is definitley pushing it earlier and earlier and more and more. 

But like so much other stuff, QVC isn't just selling Christmas stuff, they are selling an image of a warm and fuzzy Christmas.  The image of a happy family gathered around the perfect tree, lights aglow. That isn't reality for a lot of people but if QVC can sell that image to people, they get customers buying these tzochkies in the hopes of having the perfect holiday QVC is trying to sell.  

Look at the spiel when selling clothing.  It's for pumpking picking, applie picking, picking out a Christmas tree, all the holiday parties, blah, blah, blah.  In reality, not that many people have as many holiday parties as the hosts try and sell you clothes for and people don't buy a special outfit to go get a tree.    

@Lipstickdiva  You posted the same thing not too long ago, and it still is factually incorrect. QVC has been showing Christmas shows at the beginning, end and middle of the month for at least the past five years. If they’ve shown more or less during some years during that period of time, the difference could be measured in hours, not days. I’ll tell you what I told you last time, which is that for someone who seems to hate CIJ so much, you certainly believe that you have a thorough knowledge of the history of its programming. 

Honored Contributor

They keep pushing this junk, they keep selling it because , it seems people like throwing their money away, the profit they make with the mark up is a lot ,i call that greed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.