Respected Contributor

Re: Talk about destroying Christmas

I enjoy CIJ & USE it to buy lots of gifts that aren't for family, friends or me...they go to kids & the elderly who find themselves without family to give them a simple gift that shows they're loved, matter & aren't forgotten. Their handwritten gift requests are sweet, funny, touching & heartbreaking...participating in these programs have given me more spiritually than I've given monetarily so bring on the CIJ consumerism & all the other months too, I love it!

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

Isn't this topic old?  valentines are put out on Christmas eve and Easter eggs on new years day.  

Yes, it has been an annual topic for the past 15+ years I've been here and probably dates back to the beginning of the boards.  Funny how something so detested has grown so big.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Why would anyone let ‘society’ destroy anything for them? Please throw out all your Christmas junk you have collected over the years and just use a Nativity set at Christmas. And oh yes, take a trip to see the Holy Land so Christmas is not destroyed for you. Edited to add, only you can let yourself ‘be used’.

There is a Holy Land USA near Washington DC.. 

Honored Contributor

For those who think Christmas in July & anytime before 

12/25 reduces the ‘real meaning’....😳😳seriously?

That’s a textbook admission you don’t know the ‘real’ meaning 

of Christmas & everything it embodies. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Why would anyone let ‘society’ destroy anything for them? Please throw out all your Christmas junk you have collected over the years and just use a Nativity set at Christmas. And oh yes, take a trip to see the Holy Land so Christmas is not destroyed for you. Edited to add, only you can let yourself ‘be used’.

There is a Holy Land USA near Washington DC.. 

Nope, last time I checked there was no Holy Land inside the Beltway.....not that we could not use one these days.

I believe it is in Waterbury, CT.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Christmas is observed by different people in different ways and I'd go so far as to say it means different things to different people. Some are 'strict construcitionists' who feel the only validity of the season is as a religious observation, while others celebrate the more secular theoretical gaiety of the season. While I am fully sick of all the CIJ hoopla and will be thoroughly annoyed by the ever-increasing retail emails and ads that proliferate as we approach Christmas, one is fully able to choose how they opt to celebrate the season. If some outside influence is 'ruining' Christmas, it's because one lets it happen...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

I love Christmas. I don't love it being 'used' in July, September, and October.

Society has destroyed the real meaning of the holiday with it's massive consumerism. 

No thanks.

Oh, please!

No one, can "destroy" the real meaning of Christmas!

Christmas means whatever YOU want it it to mean in your heart.

You are in 100% control of that.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

QVC has a way of running an idea into the ground.  If an idea takes off, they just push it with more, more, more of the same.  IMO this is what has happened to Christmas in July.  Maybe a little programming would be tolerable, but I feel like so many-it is overdone.  I too am tired, sick of, fed up with QVC's Christmas in July.

Honored Contributor

It really is GREED ,on the part of them doing this.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

For those who say the the Q keeps pushing Christmas "earlier and earlier" every year, QVC has been doing Christmas in July for at LEAST  10 YEARS now.

QVC doing Christmas in July is nothing new.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.