Respected Contributor

Re: Taking things personally

@RetRN wrote:

Why complain @wagirl? you chose to marry him. 

I'm sorry, but that  is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard.

You never know for sure what that person is really going to be like after marrying them, especially if making that choice was at a young age. 

People also change through the years of marriage and having children, financial issues and many other circumstances that need to be dealt with in a marriage. 

In my experience a wife and mother will usually try and make the best of it until she just can't anymore, having given many tears of hard work and the best she could. 
It is devastating. 

And then someone has the nerve to say to her "well you choose to marry him", in others words, you deserve to suffer. ???

I'm  sure little did she know what he really would end up to be like - if she could have seen the future it would have been a different decision, but we don't get to do that and I'm sure she would make a wiser choice now.  

Honored Contributor

Everybody's getting their last licks in, I see. I hope we can all let our grudges go when this forum closes. Holding onto old hurts is not good for anyone.

Nothing anyone has ever said here is unforgivable or unforgettable. Unkind? Thougthless? Untrue? Wrong? Harsh? Bossy? Even mean? Yes, of course. But none of it is worth holding onto into the future.

I'm going to let go of my judgements of people here and let them have a fresh start with me if I encounter them again.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

We're not meant to complain, but bragging is frowned upon too. Gossip is discouraged and no one wants to hear cute stories or see pictures of your grandchildren. 

I have to disagree, if complaints aren't wanted why is Dear Abby, Dear Amy...so popular? To me, complaints are unifying; common ground to which most can relate. Is there a driver anywhere who hasn't been cut off?

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

We're not meant to complain, but bragging is frowned upon too. Gossip is discouraged and no one wants to hear cute stories or see pictures of your grandchildren. 

I have to disagree, if complaints aren't wanted why is Dear Abby, Dear Amy...so popular? To me, complaints are unifying; common ground to which most can relate. Is there a driver anywhere who hasn't been cut off?

I agree. Complaining is the way many people bond. I don't think it's the best way to bond all the time, but there's nothing wrong with commiserating over something annoying or in this case, probably quite frightening to the driver.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr