Respected Contributor

Re: Taking down the Christmas decorations

We take the outdoor decorations down after the NewYear and wait another week before taking the indoor decorations down. As for our Christmas tree, we leave that up until the Super Bowl. It's out of the way in the sunroom and we really enjoy looking at it.

Trusted Contributor

We leave it up through 1/7.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

it has NEVER been the day after christmas.

it is always up until AT LEAST january 6th.

this year it will probably come down the weekend of january 9th.....possibly slightly longer. i am never in a rush.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Since I lost another string of lights on my VPH Tree in my bedroom this morning, that's coming down TODAY!!!  😡....And I'll also take down some of the other Christmas pieces in my living room and dinning room too... I will replace the red Luminara candles with ivory ones, and leave my angels up for awhile .......

@Spurt 

i purchased a small 3 foot tree for my bedroom last year from VPH. i noticed that this year two bulbs were out. i called the national tree company multiple times (they are the manufacturers.) spent  quite a while on the phone with them .......they even said it was not "their tree" even though the instructions had their webste on it and all the paperwork and VPH said that they were the manufacturers. all i wanted were a few bulbs as backups and i was perfectly willing to pay for them to be shipped......no luck, unfortunately. i would not recommend buying another VPH tree.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

My tree will come down in a few days. I love candles in the windows. They will stay up along with a snow tree and snowmen and ladies. My wreaths and porch decorations stay up. What I leave up isn't hard to put away. 

Honored Contributor

our main tree we have had for probably at least ten years. when most of the lights were finally done, we cut all of the lights off the tree (wow, that was a task.) the shape and look of the tree was too beautiful to let go. we are still using that tree and string lots of lights on it now. i guess when we get tired of doing that we will get a prelit tree again from a local nursery who has a large selection of christmas decorations and faux christmas trees.

Trusted Contributor

Everything is down today. Even the outside things. So glad I don't have a tree to take down this year!

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

Took all my stuff down today.  I put out snowmen stuff  and leave candles out.  For me it depends on my mood and when I feel like it.

I know people wait until the 6th but just not me.  I normally would do it right before New Years but today I was restless.  My husband said ok with him and he likes to wait but said he was ready too.

Honored Contributor

The day after January 6 here. At dinner January 6 we talk about Epiphany, then it is OK to "undecorate." Usually DH and I take some time that night to appreciate our "real" tree one last time. The next day I undecorate the tree, then DH takes it out back and lays it by the bird feeder for the birds to play in - until it gets closer to spring and starts turning brown.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Of course it's a personal choice. But for me Christmas is a season. I can't even fathom taking decorations down on Christmas Day or shortly after. Especially people who put them up before Thanksgiving-perhaps that's why they tire of them.

QVC started taking everything down once their selling was over. That's viewing Christmas as $ and presents.

Christmas decorations to me aren't abnormal (since some people say they want their place back to normal) or disorderly or clutter. It always seems empty and sad when they are all put away. And you are left with the long doldrums of Winter. Especially these days.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"