Respected Contributor

Re: Taking down the Christmas decorations

I wasn't feeling it this year.  All we put up was the tree near our glass doors and two poinsettias on either side of our fireplace.  I'm going to see how long it takes dh to want the tree gone.  I predict that will be tomorrow.  That's ok with me.  I do like getting the house back to normal.

Respected Contributor

No set timeline.  Some years I have put everything away last thing Christmas night.   Other years bit by bit over weeks. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt  Shaking my head... Girl, you drank the Kool-Aid... You should have never gone down the VPH Christmas Tree path... Buy yourself a few strings of lights now that they're marked down... You can wind them around that tree next year...

Smiley Wink

@stevieb 

Last year I searched locally for a 3 or 4.5 ft multi-color lighted tree for my bedroom, the only reason I went with VPH was because Iocally I couldn't find what I wanted---either the trees had only white lights, no lights, or the trees were downright pathetic looking....VPH's was nice and full and had multicolor lights...so I took my chance ..... and your right....shouldnt have...

And this year when the light strings went out one by one string I couldnt find a small replacement string of multi-color lights. Stores here had already started putting out spring and easter decor Woman Frustrated....After an exhaustive search in stores and on line all I could find was a 350 foot string of multi-color lights---too long for my 3 ft tree....so I have to wait until next year to get replacement lights Woman Frustrated  I learned my lesson the hard way.....  I saw someone left a not so complimentary comment on Valerie's Facebook Page about her trees ....  I did send her a private message of my own.....Woman Mad Live and learn......

@Spurt  - I was thinking about getting a VPH tree next year, but after reading your comment, I think I'll try another brand.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your responses.  Interesting to hear different thoughts or traditions.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt  Shaking my head... Girl, you drank the Kool-Aid... You should have never gone down the VPH Christmas Tree path... Buy yourself a few strings of lights now that they're marked down... You can wind them around that tree next year...

Smiley Wink

@stevieb 

Last year I searched locally for a 3 or 4.5 ft multi-color lighted tree for my bedroom, the only reason I went with VPH was because Iocally I couldn't find what I wanted---either the trees had only white lights, no lights, or the trees were downright pathetic looking....VPH's was nice and full and had multicolor lights...so I took my chance ..... and your right....shouldnt have...

And this year when the light strings went out one by one string I couldnt find a small replacement string of multi-color lights. Stores here had already started putting out spring and easter decor Woman Frustrated....After an exhaustive search in stores and on line all I could find was a 350 foot string of multi-color lights---too long for my 3 ft tree....so I have to wait until next year to get replacement lights Woman Frustrated  I learned my lesson the hard way.....  I saw someone left a not so complimentary comment on Valerie's Facebook Page about her trees ....  I did send her a private message of my own.....Woman Mad Live and learn......

@Spurt  - I was thinking about getting a VPH tree next year, but after reading your comment, I think I'll try another brand.

@twinsister 

I think overall with these pre-lit trees you are lucky if they last 3 years...even the expensive Balsam Hill Brand have mixed reviews... I think the best 7 ft tree I ever had was a Martha Stewart all the bells and whistle---prelit, light connection in pole, and color change either multi or white....I purchased it at Home Depot at the end of October, great price! But Martha's brand isnt at Home Depot any more....Woman Sad

There have been several threads in the Holiday part of the Forum regarding Christmas trees....and Valerie's in particular, not very good ratings, and read the reviews on QVC's website regarding Valerie's trees for this year---less lights than mine and lots of bad reviews, similar problems with lights, some said trees were skimpy and they were a glittery mess....Im glad mine had no glitter at least! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Outdoor lights will come down the weekend following Jan. 6, although they will not be lit much after 3rd (Sunday).

Decor indoors will start to get put away that same weekend. First thing up is always the last thing down- that's the tree.That will stay up until at least Jan 16th.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never understood the rush to put up Christmas decorations, only to rush to take them down.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

My husband celebrates orthodox Christmas on January 7, so everything in our home stays up until after that date.  Most of my neighbors do the same.

Trusted Contributor

For us, we feel like it’s still the Christmas season. One year, many years ago when I was younger and much more ambitious, I took down the tree, etc. the day after Christmas. I regretted it and have never done that again. I do understand the idea of paring down, though. Simplified and beautiful—and peaceful. 

Honored Contributor

I will leave the snowmen up for a while and other decorations will come down soon. I didnt have that many anyways. But I did put any Santa things away today. 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller