Honored Contributor

Re: Taking down the Christmas decorations

I don't have a set date to take anything down.

Due to having covid, I didn't get everything up anyway.  I love having the tree up and the lights, so I'm not really in a huge rush to get it down.  It's still the holidays, and I like to enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

As a child, my mother always waited until January 6th to take down the tree and everything else.   I followed that tradition for a long time, but the last few years everything was down and put away by New Year's Day.

When do you take down your decorations?

@twinsister   Well, if Hanukkah counts since we do put up a tree (artificial, prelit...the works) for the kids, it goes up by Halloween because I enjoy the lights and Hanukkah ornaments and want it up as long as possible. It doesn't matter when the holiday falls out...sometimes early Dec. other years closer to Christmas. We don't take it down until mid-January. 

Are there any rules about when indoor decor has to be put away? I could understand taking down the outdoor lights, etc. about the same time as neighbors do theirs. 

Respected Contributor

I'll take my tree down when the spirit moves me. Probably after NY. Right now, I'm still enjoying the lights too much to box it all up.

The Christmas wind-down, is the saddest part of the holiday for me.  So much preparation, and anticipation, for such a short period of time. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Inside decorations are gone before New Year's Eve.  I will start taking down some things today though.  The trees will stay until the 30th.

Outdoor decorations come down the weekend after the New Year, as long as the weather cooperates.

I'm not in a rush, I just like to get my house back to "normal."  Although I absolutely LOVE Christmas, it does create more clutter than I typically want in my home.  It's a happy sort of clutter, but still...

Respected Contributor

@Grade1Teach wrote:

Inside decorations are gone before New Year's Eve.  I will start taking down some things today though.  The trees will stay until the 30th.

Outdoor decorations come down the weekend after the New Year, as long as the weather cooperates.

I'm not in a rush, I just like to get my house back to "normal."  Although I absolutely LOVE Christmas, it does create more clutter than I typically want in my home.  It's a happy sort of clutter, but still...

I like that..."a happy sort of clutter" !

Honored Contributor

Our home improvement project prevented us from putting out our porch decorations this year.   I wrote the final check and waved goodbye to the construction trailer on the 24th.

With temps at 10 degrees yesterday and 8 degrees this morning, porch decorations are of no concern to me.  

All we have inside is the silver tabletop tree that reminds my husband of the tree he had in Vietnam.   It will stay up into January.   

Honored Contributor

Since I lost another string of lights on my VPH Tree in my bedroom this morning, that's coming down TODAY!!!  😡....And I'll also take down some of the other Christmas pieces in my living room and dinning room too... I will replace the red Luminara candles with ivory ones, and leave my angels up for awhile .......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Growing up we left it up until 1/6.

Now it comes down when I have time, but usually today or NYD, depending on where it falls and the weekend.

This year the tree is down already.  I leave the winter stuff out until February.  The Christmas-specific stuff will be put away by the end of the weekend.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Never understood the fascination with this subject. As far as I know, awards are not given for being the first or last to take them down. Do it whenever you want. Mine will stay up until second week of January, at which point, I just keep out the snowmen.

You are so right.  Every year there is a long, long thread on this topic.  I agree, it's really up to the individual, whatever's your custom.

But, having said that, I am always very surprised at how many people say they take down everything the day after Christmas.

I always felt that the week between Christmas and New Year's Day was a holiday week and would feel like I was shutting everything down too quickly if I did that.  It's a holiday week to relax and enjoy your decorating work. I can't just zoom into cleanup mode.

Growing up, my mother would usually take the decorations all down the day or two after New Year's Day.  I actually like to leave it up a little longer, and just do it as I feel  like it. There's no hard and fast rule.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister     I usually do it the day after New Years day depending on the weather.