Honored Contributor

Re: Taking a handbag vs. not

Most times I only take my car keys and money or a credit card.  I don't bring my phone and my key chain only has the car key on it.  I lock my cross body in my glove compartment.  Done that for a lot of years.  I guess it would be a problem if my car was stolen, but that hasn't happened.

Honored Contributor

Since I was working in a lg dept store I had scaled down to an RFID case for my necessary cards.  I got a wristlet (in animal print!) to use for cash and change.  When I go on errands, I just put the credit card case in it.  Works!  Also, fits in my shoulder bag!  This is it!  LOVE!!!

Honored Contributor

ECBG - I like that!  Smiley Happy  Pretty

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

Yikes!  This came to mind for me (one of my mantras) - Don't personalize things that are not personal.

Looks like some really took personally the preferences of others.   Just because I don't carry a purse most of the time doesn't mean that I look down on, or begrudge it, others!   I don't get the impression that anybody else does either.

Seriously - everything is NOT personal.  It's just people saying how they feel for what THEY want to do.  I didn't see anything where somebody said that everybody should do what they do.

Sorry - this is something that happens so much here and is really annoying.  Don't take somebody else's opinion as some kind of personal hit!  Nobody said that purses should be abolished just because they don't carry them.

I think when the OP decided to say that carrying around a huge purse looked so "old lady", it rubbed a few people the wrong way. 

And really, reading another post down, why does it matter to anyone what others choose or need to carry in their handbag?  Almost poking fun of someone because they need an inhaler.....not cool.  

Respected Contributor

I must wear my pants too tight.  Ain't nothing fitting in my jeans pockets. Smiley Happy

I do carry a lot of "unnecessary" stuff in my purse.  If you ever need a Band-Aid or an aspirin or a safety pin, etc., I'll give you one.

Respected Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

I have my keys on a caribeener, (sp.) clip and hook them to my belt loop. Men can manage without a purse-So can I!

My husband would never hook his keys on his belt loops, so neither would I.

I do not stuff things in my pockets as I find it uncomfortable and a less than flattering look.  I use either a wristlet or cross body bag.

Esteemed Contributor

I keep a cross body with my necessities in my BIG bag. I leave my big bag in my car and use the small one.
Honored Contributor

Hey LD!  I hope you didn't think I was poking fun at somebody who needs an inhaler.  Heck, I have asthma too so I get that.   I get that everybody has their own individual needs.

I just wish everybody could have their own opinion and none are any more or less than another.  Smiley Happy   For the most part, people are able to discuss in that manner but it seems like there are always one or two people who make everything personal.   That's what gets in my craw, FWIW.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

No way could I do that....this is me....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TL7LaxyYz4

@silkyk...you made me smile. "You never know when you may have to jam." Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pommom wrote:

If this works for you, then please let me share with you an experience my late DH had.  He placed his wallet in one of his back pockets (which was always the case) and his cell in the other.  Upon exiting an elevator at work, a guy bumped into him.  As he reached for his cell, he noticed neither his cell nor his wallet were in his pockets.  Luckily, he hadn't gone far.  He turned around and approached the guy that bumped into him and his buddy and calmly stated that he wanted them both back.  Miracle of miracles, the buddy handed them back to him.  A security officer was nearby (the exit) and witnessed this.  When he called to tell me about it, I was both grateful and a little angry at him for approaching the culprits.  Could have gone horribly wrong.

Be very mindful at all times.  One would think that taking a cell/wallet off your back pockets would be difficult - it's not.

Sorry this happened to your DH, and I'm glad he got his stuff back.  However, I think it is just as likely for a thief to grab a lady's purse and run off with it than it is for a thief to sneakily try to pickpocket.  Both are possible, and we should all be alert no matter how we are carrying our items.  Besides, the 'threat' of pick pocketing has not changed the way men carry their wallets for the last hundred or two years...

Don't get me wrong, I am a bona fide purse/handbag freak (just ask my collection of >15 dooneys).  I just prefer not to carry around a purse when I am running particular errands, like going to the grocery store.