Esteemed Contributor

Re: Taking a handbag vs. not

I always carry a handbag. One of the first full sentences my granddaughter said was, "Nana's purse is HEAVY." Recently, though, I started carrying my own equipment to the YMCA. I was really ill recently and the equipment at our local Y is just plain dirty. Ironically, one week before I got sick, I complained to the head of the fitness program about the filthy-looking free weights. 

After I recovered, i decided to bring my own free weights and bands to my strength building classes. I bought a pretty carry-all, put two sets of weights inside, and realized I should just use that as my handbag when I go to the strength classes. I added my water bottle, car keys, weight-lifting gloves, bands, and huge wallet to the already heavy bag. I figure there must be close to 30 pounds worth of stuff in there. The class studio is on the second floor of the Y. So there I was, in my cumbersome puffer coat, dragging that heavy bag up the steps. I really missed my heavy handbag. By comparison to that workout bag, it's light as a feather.

Honored Contributor

I can't be quite that free, but a few weeks ago I bought a Baggalli, black with beige zippers.  It weighs virtually nothing, has great organization, and a wonderful strap that adjusts easily from crossbody to shoulder length.  Even with tax, I paid under $25.  Super bargain -  and small enough that it holds  the few things I really need - especially spare eye glasses and drops, both of which are not pocket friendly.

Honored Contributor

Nope. I have to have my handbag.  My phone is on the larger side plus inside of a case.  I don't want that jammed into my back jeans pocket.  

The only time I just grab my wallet and phone and go is if I'm running to pick up a prescription and I can go through the drive through. 

If I'm going out for the evening, I have a wristlet I throw some things into.  Otherwise, I'm a purse person.       

Honored Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

Freedom! When I go out to run errands-I've ditched the purse! I wear jeans-put the phone in one back pocket-my wallet in the other. It's a relief not to be lugging a purse around.

I see so many purses in unattended shopping carts, on the front seat of cars, and hanging off someone's arm-easy to snatch.

I don't miss all the, 'stuff' that was in my purse. Now, I bring a purse on more formal events, but for short errands-Try leaving it at home!

I can't imagine how small your wallet must be to fit in a rear jeans pocket, but if it works for you ... that's great.    Are you using a man's wallet?

My slacks don't have pockets but my purse is well attended when I go out.     Even carrying a few loose items would be more trouble than it's worth.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Lacey1 wrote:

Freedom! When I go out to run errands-I've ditched the purse! I wear jeans-put the phone in one back pocket-my wallet in the other. It's a relief not to be lugging a purse around.

I see so many purses in unattended shopping carts, on the front seat of cars, and hanging off someone's arm-easy to snatch.

I don't miss all the, 'stuff' that was in my purse. Now, I bring a purse on more formal events, but for short errands-Try leaving it at home!

I can't imagine how small your wallet must be to fit in a rear jeans pocket, but if it works for you ... that's great.    Are you using a man's wallet?

My slacks don't have pockets but my purse is well attended when I go out.     Even carrying a few loose items would be more trouble than it's worth.

Seriously, if you're just running a few errands-how much do you need in your wallet? My Driver's license, insurance card, credit/debit card? I have my smart phone set up with emergency numbers. That makes for a small wallet.

Super Contributor

Carrying your phone in your back pocket is a good way to have it stolen.  My granddaughter was warned of that when she went to college.

Honored Contributor

@Hershey2 wrote:

Carrying your phone in your back pocket is a good way to have it stolen.  My granddaughter was warned of that when she went to college.

I carry mine in my front pocket. I don't have a fancy  larger phone.

Honored Contributor

I just carry an east to west crossbody bag and mostly carry handbags out of habit, to be honest.  I might have to give thought about carrying so much but then what I carry isn't a lot, make sense?  LOL

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I purchased 2 RFID wallets on a string from HSN. One black and one bone. I use the black one as my wallet and it also has a pocket for a cell phone - which is where I store the strap when it is in my purse. If I decide to go hands free - shopping or at a fair etc - I take the strap out and put my phone in there with a hanky and wear it crossbody. Now I have my credit card, my money, my phone - everything I need and can leave my purse in the car. It's only a one min trans formation from wallet to crossbody bag. Only thing is DH has to carry my rescue inhaler in his pocket because I can't fit it in, or if we won't be far from the car I just leave it in my purse. I like that it is so lightweight that I can just let it hang crossbody while in a restaurant and it doesn't bother me at all. i find I carry my purse less and less since I got this.

Honored Contributor

I ditched it a long time ago, when it's just errands.  I have a little wallet that I grab.  It had any cash, cards, etc, and that's all I need if I'm just going to the store, post office, bank, etc.    

Half the time I forget the phone, as I'm really not tied to my phone at all, and all I need are my keys and the little Coach wallet.  It's just the kind that has a flap-over snap.  Then you open it and there is a divided area for cards and a 'coin purse' part that zips closed.   It's like a little smaller than two decks of cards stacked on top of each other.  

If I had a coat or jacket on I can just put it in my pocket.    We probably to go a point, as we get older, that we just don't feel the need to carry EVERYTHING around all the time.  I agree that it is very freeing.  Smiley Happy