Trusted Contributor

Re: Taking a handbag vs. not

@chickenbutt wrote:

Yikes!  This came to mind for me (one of my mantras) - Don't personalize things that are not personal.

Looks like some really took personally the preferences of others.   Just because I don't carry a purse most of the time doesn't mean that I look down on, or begrudge it, others!   I don't get the impression that anybody else does either.

Seriously - everything is NOT personal.  It's just people saying how they feel for what THEY want to do.  I didn't see anything where somebody said that everybody should do what they do.

Sorry - this is something that happens so much here and is really annoying.  Don't take somebody else's opinion as some kind of personal hit!  Nobody said that purses should be abolished just because they don't carry them.

I don't think that it's this so much as it is people caring about what other people do. I have never understood that concept.

In this case, I really don't understand why someone should care whether anyone else carries a purse.

As far as personal comments go, I personally think it's more about people posting comments that aren't always tactful towards others, than it is about people taking things personally. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hey LD!  I hope you didn't think I was poking fun at somebody who needs an inhaler.  Heck, I have asthma too so I get that.   I get that everybody has their own individual needs.

I just wish everybody could have their own opinion and none are any more or less than another.  Smiley Happy   For the most part, people are able to discuss in that manner but it seems like there are always one or two people who make everything personal.   That's what gets in my craw, FWIW.  Smiley Happy

Not you - Lacey

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

@Lacey1 wrote:

I have my keys on a caribeener, (sp.) clip and hook them to my belt loop. Men can manage without a purse-So can I!

My husband would never hook his keys on his belt loops, so neither would I.

I do not stuff things in my pockets as I find it uncomfortable and a less than flattering look.  I use either a wristlet or cross body bag.

Nothing says class like a guy with (a lot of) keys hanging off his pants.

If I have pockets in my pants, there may be a tissue in them but never keys or a wallet.

When I grocery shop I use a wristlet.  If I'm running errands, usually it's a small cross body bag.

A handbag is a fashion accessory.  I love them and have many.

Honored Contributor

Like others here I also use a small crossbody for shopping.  It will hold keys, cash, cell phone, a few credit cards, driver's license, lip balm and gloss, tissues, small hair brush, blotting papers, and rescue inhaler.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

Nothing says class like a guy with (a lot of) keys hanging off his pants.

If I have pockets in my pants, there may be a tissue in them but never keys or a wallet.

When I grocery shop I use a wristlet.  If I'm running errands, usually it's a small cross body bag.

A handbag is a fashion accessory.  I love them and have many.

I find that I'm using wristlets more and more. They are convenient running into the grocery store and fit in my briefcase too. I have lots of colors...for every season.

I too have some nice bags...but I don't seem to need them as often as I used to.

Honored Contributor

If you need an inhaler you can throw it in a coat pocket in the winter but in the summer you will have to carry a bag to hold it for you. Since i rarely need a coat in Fl. I need to carry my necessities somewhere- so I use my crossbody, but it is too small for my inhaler. If I am going to be walking a lot I will generally need my cane so I have a wristlet attached to the cane and can keep my inhaler in there. We were at a outdoor boat show today and I did just that - crossbody wallet on a string had tissues and phone plus wallet and my cane had the inhaler in it's little wristlet.

Esteemed Contributor

The only time I do not take my purse is when I am walking the dogs or at the beach.  I take a wristlet for the beach.

Honored Contributor

Let's face it .......  it really depends on what you HAVE to have with you.  If you have small children, you'll have kid stuff in your bag.  You might need special meds or an inhaler.   Or whatever.

Personally, I rarely "just run a few errands".    I make a point of doing one stop each day after work so when the weekend comes, my days are free.   There are no errands to run.

Honored Contributor

I only by shoulder bags, but of course they can be carried on my arm or in my hand.

I never bought a handbag I didn't like, so no shame in carrying it with me where ever I go.

My wallet is large, I have large sunglass cases, my phone, lipstick, BB&B coupons (hell---oooo), I carry a packet of Alba organic wipes - I use them on little hands that get dirty when we're out and about. 

It's not burdensome at all for me to carry a handbag.  Some people probably do feel burdened by a handbag.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

Isn't it nice that this is a free country and we can all carry handbags or not, as we please?  I'll keep carrying my big handbags with my prescription sunglasses, wallet, tissues, keys, etc., etc. and whoever wants to can carry a crossbody bag, wristlet, hang things from her belt, balance them on her head or whatever.  It's all good. Woman Wink

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett