Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

It's a good way to identify workers who are going to work sick. It happens a lot, especially in part time and hourly jobs where they really can't take time off to stay home and be sick. HR or management can stop them at the door and send them home.

It's useful. If someone considers a normal temp as a reason to be falsely confident, well they are probably like that all the time anyway. I would wonder what would happen if someone were tested mid hot flash, though. The reaction and recognition might depend on whether the temp monitoring person were a middle aged or older woman or not.

A bacterial infection such as a UTI can cause a fever, should a person be sent home for that?

They should be sent to a doctor and get on antibiotics before the UTI gets worse and goes systemic or shuts down their kidneys. They should be resting.

If anyone has a fever anywhere near COVID territory, they are too sick to be at work -- or out playing at a bar.

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

It's a good way to identify workers who are going to work sick. It happens a lot, especially in part time and hourly jobs where they really can't take time off to stay home and be sick. HR or management can stop them at the door and send them home.

It's useful. If someone considers a normal temp as a reason to be falsely confident, well they are probably like that all the time anyway. I would wonder what would happen if someone were tested mid hot flash, though. The reaction and recognition might depend on whether the temp monitoring person were a middle aged or older woman or not.

A bacterial infection such as a UTI can cause a fever, should a person be sent home for that?

They should be sent to a doctor and get on antibiotics before the UTI gets worse and goes systemic or shuts down their kidneys. They should be resting.

If anyone has a fever anywhere near COVID territory, they are too sick to be at work -- or out playing at a bar.

Yes, I think that the temp taking would be a win/win.  Find out what the reason for it is and then treat it.  COVID-19 or not.

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Yes, I think that the temp taking would be a win/win.  Find out what the reason for it is and then treat it.  COVID-19 or not.

Okay, let me pose this then.

Hot flash due to menopause.

There is nothing to treat.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

Mr Urban, the man who owns a football team, was interviewed last night on one of the talking head shows and he said that taking 3 extra strength tylenol before a scan test shows no fever at all.  This came up when the host asked him if taking a temperature of all the guests at a game would be beneficial and that was his answer  

You're referring to Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team. He was talking to Sean Hannity. I saw a clip of it in my news feed.

However, what you posted about taking Tylenol is true according to Mr. Cuban. So, the test is only as accurate as the person taking it is honest. 

Mr. Urban is a whole other story. I definitely wouldn't want my temp checked after exposure to him. The effect would be the exact opposite of taking a few Tylenol. Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

So now you feel it is appropiate to deny a person a days pay or refuse service to a customer based upon a temperure?   Watch the lawsuits for that one. 

As pointed out a simple asprin will control a fever, allowing anyone entry. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Okay, let me pose this then.

Hot flash due to menopause.

There is nothing to treat.

Found this by doing a quick search.

"During a hot flash, the blood rushing to the vessels nearest the skin may raise skin temperature by five to seven degrees, but core body temperature will not usually rise above a normal 98.6 degrees. Still, it can feel like an extreme change to the woman having the hot flash."

And...

"Many hot flashes cause women to perspire heavily, even to the point of soaking your clothing. ... A fever is never caused by a menopausal hot flash symptom. If you feel hot and your temperature taken by a thermometer is abnormally high, you are experiencing a fever, not a hot flash."

Honored Contributor

What if someone that had a fever had taken Tylenol or Advil or Aspirin before the thermometer was shot at their forehead?

We all know not everyone that is sick stays home...

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

What if someone that had a fever had taken Tylenol or Advil or Aspirin before the thermometer was shot at their forehead?

We all know not everyone that is sick stays home...

I've known lots of people who've gone places sick, myself included (being younger, needing my check, and no sick leave).

But isn't fever a symptom that is in another category for most people?  Tylenol or no, fever leaves you feeling weak, chilly, and usually not well enough to work or go out. Incapable of it. Maybe that's just me.

Valued Contributor

@SusieQ_2  thanks for the correction!  Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

So now you feel it is appropiate to deny a person a days pay or refuse service to a customer based upon a temperure?   Watch the lawsuits for that one. 

As pointed out a simple asprin will control a fever, allowing anyone entry. 

@CrazyDaisyThis may shock you, but I like rules. In moderation. It's fine if you don't. A business can send a worker home for breaking the dress code. So can a bar, for that matter. Freedom doesn't mean people can't set rules for what they will and won't allow on their property.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Taking Temperature

[ Edited ]

I don't mind having my temperature taken, but I have to agree with the OP that it gives many people a false sense of security. Right here on these boards I've read comments that it will be safe to go somewhere because they're wearing masks and taking everyone's temperature.  

It's not a bad thing to do, but certainly not foolproof.  And I don't think enough people realize that COVID-19is so contagious in the days before symptoms start. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett