Honored Contributor

Re: Taking Sick Children to School

[ Edited ]

In my state most day care provders or schools will call the parent immediately for pick up.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

In my state most day care provders or schools will call the parent immediately for pick up.

I think that is true in every state.  It becomes a problem when parents can not or will not pick them up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I think that is true in every state.  It becomes a problem when parents can not or will not pick them up.

Multiple refusals can trigger state intervention, no parent in their right mind would want that imo........

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Muliple refusals can trigger state intervention, no parent in their right mind would want that imo........

Some parents are not in their right mind, they just don’t care or are on drugs or other substances.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

What are the parents supposed to do? Most everyone needs to work and can't stay home with their sick kids. We better start demanding more from the powers that be as far as day care and time off with pay when your kids are sick. This is a poor and middle class issue yet we are not fighting for it. The money has to come from somewhere, either out of your own pocket or an increase in taxes.

Should have thought about kids getting sick before having kids.  

The person in the OP's post is a resident in a hospital - had to have some kind of smarts to make it that far, too bad it didn't carry over to parenting and knowingly let her sick kid infect others with their germs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

What are the parents supposed to do? Most everyone needs to work and can't stay home with their sick kids. We better start demanding more from the powers that be as far as day care and time off with pay when your kids are sick. This is a poor and middle class issue yet we are not fighting for it. The money has to come from somewhere, either out of your own pocket or an increase in taxes.

Well the money better not come from increasing MY taxes...

i didnt  have children because I felt I wouldn't be able to afford them iespecially if I were to be single. I sure as heck don't want to pay for others' poor planning.

@LizzieInSRQ, I'm thinking that you're not one of the "It takes a village" people. Do you resent paying taxes for schools or just programs to help working people who have children?

@suzyQ3 I'm a very proud tax payer who has no problem paying my taxes even though I don't have children in the schools. I LOVE children so much that I sacrificed having any without solid foundation. Yes, I detest tax revenue being diverted to poorly managed or unecessessary programs. We have more tax payers in the workforce than ever, there should be plenty of funding for what is needed as it is..  You assume incorrectly as I believe in "it takes a village" actually in the truest sense...less government, more personal or private sector responsibility,   funding and management. I'm a righty but no, I did not vote for the current administration, nor the governor of my state so I'm often personally conflicted 😁

I answered a question to me, but apologize for getting this tread a bit off track.

Respected Contributor

I think most parents struggle with the decision about having to send their sick children to school.  They should be able to stay home with them with no consequences from their employer.  That goes for both moms and dads.

A friend of mine is a teacher.  I don't know how many times she has to send the child to the office because the child shows up to school  running a fever or is throwing up.  The parents say it's easier to get called away from work rather than call in sick.  

My kids really didn't get sick that much.  I would never knowingly send them to school if they were sick.  

Honored Contributor

This is part of what's wrong in our society today.  I see no easy answers and the  answers I do see people won't do.  There is a price to pay for unprotected sects and it is the children who end up paying the price.  Children need to be planned for.  Even married couples need to figure this out BEFORE they have kids.

Everyone knows their children will get sick sooner or later.  We have a plan for everything else.  What is more important than our children?  What about sacrifice?  I see so many young couples who have to start out with 3 bathrooms, dishwashers, big 50" flat screens, expensive phones, and so many other "things".  If that is most important to couples....then what about waiting to have kids till you can take proper care of them?  What about depending on yourselves and not Grandma and Grandpa (unless, of course, Grandma and Grandpa want to).... or just staying home till they are old enough to be trusted by themselves when they are ill?  What about taking these young girls and letting them watch a film of  "A Day In The Life Of An Unwed Mother" and let them see just how hard it would be?      

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Exactly - what are they supposed to do?  How could it possibly be their responsibility?  The government should plan for this - and provide free assistance.

Same thing if their car won't start and they can't get to work.  The government should have planned to help with this - I don't know - maybe provide free uber rides - or maybe require all employers to be "understanding" and just give them paid time off when they can't get there.

Love your concept of free daycare when kids are sick by the way - "someone else" should be willing to get sick by taking care of contagious kids.  Wow   No words.

And yes, of course, the money should come from "somewhere" 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know of nurses who pop a tylenol into their feverish child in the morning and drop them off to school because they must be at work....their patients need them and their is a shortage of nurses.  That is certainly a very difficult call....I understand that.  Maybe I am wrong....but at that point...isn't their child a patient and won't they be making more patients out of the other kids at school? 

We have depended on government for so long to solve these problems that we let them do  our thinking and planning for us. God forbid they should fail us!   Whatever happened to the old motto of "be prepared".  It seems to me in days gone by, people were pretty grown up at 16....then that age went up to 21....now it is somewhere in the 30's to 40's.  Pretty soon that age will be 50!!  Oh dear.