Honored Contributor

Re: Taking Sick Children to School

@september  I agree.  Sometimes grandparents and others cannot take care of sick kids for many reasons.  

Their adult children should not expect them to if they can’t,  and make other arrangements for,their kids before they actually need help.

Honored Contributor

I always opt to go to my grandkids house to watch them when they're sick.  It's better than them being made to get up, dressed and out in the car...They're sick!

I wouldn't want to be drug out early on a chilly morning.

Honored Contributor

We live in different times now and I'm not ready to condemn all parents for sending their children to school sick. Yes it's awful but there are circumstances which has nothing to do with cell phones or sneakers.

There are more single mother's raising their children without fathers, some can't miss a day off, the poor mother who works at $10 an hour or the executive who has a deadline to meet. Just about all employers hold the idea that the job comes first.

Back up plans fall through the cracks and and can be unreliable. Also we live in a world that any and everybody can't be trusted with our children.  Each and every family are unique and have different issues, I pray for all of them who face this problem each and everyday.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I always opt to go to my grandkids house to watch them when they're sick.  It's better than them being made to get up, dressed and out in the car...They're sick!

I wouldn't want to be drug out early on a chilly morning.

If I had to do this, it would take me 12 hours of travel time!

Like I already stated...took care of my sick grandchildren (when they were visiting me) over the holidays and it wasn't easy.   I wouldn't expect grandparents who may have health issues of their own to be expected to do this ....just because.  

Respected Contributor

SilleeMee, do these 24/7 child care organizations take in sick children? Amazing.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple  I can understand your concerns and what you are saying.  But sending a very sick child to school is torture for the child.  With the laws, no one can do anything for them.

They are allowed to lay down for a short time and then they must go back to the classroom.  If they are too sick...vomiting and or running a fever, the school MUST call the parent and send them home.

There is no one to take care of a sick child at school.  Some schools do not have a full time nurse on staff and the receptionist will not if it is not in her job description.  Plus, she dosn’t want  to get sick either.

These poor kids are being tossed around and uncared for.  It is the child who suffers and parents must be responsible.

They need our prayers for sure.

Honored Contributor

Day care workers should be wearing gloves and masks while caring for children during this flu epidemic. This and good handwashing should help prevent the spread of the flu.

Not to say this makes it alright to bring sick children to daycare. I think taking a sick child out in the cold and exposing others to it is immoral.

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

What are the parents supposed to do? Most everyone needs to work and can't stay home with their sick kids. We better start demanding more from the powers that be as far as day care and time off with pay when your kids are sick. This is a poor and middle class issue yet we are not fighting for it. The money has to come from somewhere, either out of your own pocket or an increase in taxes.

Well the money better not come from increasing MY taxes...

i didnt  have children because I felt I wouldn't be able to afford them iespecially if I were to be single. I sure as heck don't want to pay for others' poor planning.

@LizzieInSRQ...girl!!!!! You took the words right out of my mouth!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

We shouldn't be expected to pay for other's poor decisions.  Children are expensive. Don't have them if you can't provide for them. Schools aren't meant to care for sick children, parents who send them there should be charged with neglected which is what it is.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

What are the parents supposed to do? Most everyone needs to work and can't stay home with their sick kids. We better start demanding more from the powers that be as far as day care and time off with pay when your kids are sick. This is a poor and middle class issue yet we are not fighting for it. The money has to come from somewhere, either out of your own pocket or an increase in taxes.

@blackhole99

You're asking the tax payer to foot the bill for your kids and millions of other kids.  A more common sense approach would be perhaps to set goals within a marriage or partnership as regards the number of children planned.  Also, how about a timeline: both working and saving as much as possible, which means not spending out the yang, so that said couple could possible and first purchase a condo or maybe a house, then start thinking about a child - one child.  One child should be able to be managed re sick days between two parents.