Honored Contributor

Re: Take me out to the old roller skating rink!

When I was a teenager in the Philly 'burbs, the place to go skating was in.....West Chester.  Anyone else skate there?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Stray - I lived in Bergen Cty too near Teaneck. I worked for many years in the Cliffs and I was married in Closter. Then I moved to Passaic Cty where I lived until a few years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

There are 2 skating rinks in the county my kids/grand kids live in. When the grand kids were a bit younger they all had skating parties. I cant skate anymore b/c of my back. But my husband, kids, grand kids etc. all skated and it was a blast. I enjoyed the music and watching them. (I made videos of them all skating too). Franky when I could skate, I did better skating outdoors up and down pavements, rather then the rink. I always thought the rink was too slick and I would fall at times. lol. But my husband, kids, grand kids are very good, and can like bop in unison on the skates and skate backwards.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

Grrreat... an oldies thread.

366905_kot_udivlenie_dosada_small_(www.GdeFon.ru).jpg (290×181)

;-)

Ah ha ha ha ha......................................................

Sorry Lilac Tree, the response struck me as funny.  I suffer from O.A. (Old Age).  Sorry your roller rink went down.  I used to like to watch Roller Derby when it was on in black and white broadcasting.  Don't know if your roller rink was ever featured.  Enjoyed seeing the L.A. Thunderbirds vs. The Texas Outlaws or just about anyone.  It was all enjoyable nonsense

Thanks.  Smiley Happy

Love your "O.A.", LOL.

I thought that Lilac Tree would instantly get the wry/dry/sly humor, but added a winky just in case.

Oh, well...

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@LilacTree - I probably skated there in the late 50's early to mid 60's. Do you remember Jahn's and Holly's - spent many weekends at those places.

Unfortunately we moved from Paramus to Fort Lee in 1954 and didn't have our own cars, so although we did manage to go skating a few times after we moved, that era kinda ended.  I don't remember the name of the ice cream parlor we used to go to, but I think it was Holly's.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

Grrreat... an oldies thread.

366905_kot_udivlenie_dosada_small_(www.GdeFon.ru).jpg (290×181)

;-)

Ah ha ha ha ha......................................................

Sorry Lilac Tree, the response struck me as funny.  I suffer from O.A. (Old Age).  Sorry your roller rink went down.  I used to like to watch Roller Derby when it was on in black and white broadcasting.  Don't know if your roller rink was ever featured.  Enjoyed seeing the L.A. Thunderbirds vs. The Texas Outlaws or just about anyone.  It was all enjoyable nonsense

Thanks.  Smiley Happy

Love your "O.A.", LOL.

I thought that Lilac Tree would instantly get the wry/dry/sly humor, but added a winky just in case.

Oh, well...

I always enjoy your humor, JSS . . . you know that!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

This reminds me of how my parents met. My dad worked at the roller rink as the guy who skates around and helps you if you fall. My Mom and her friends loved to go skating and went just about every weekend. My Dad wanted to meet my Mom so he would get my Uncle (her brother) to trip her so she would fall and he would be right behind her and catch her.She said she had to either go out with him or risk a broken leg ! 

My folks still took us skating often as kids and we really enjoyed it. 

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Stray - I lived in Bergen Cty too near Teaneck. I worked for many years in the Cliffs and I was married in Closter. Then I moved to Passaic Cty where I lived until a few years ago.

We lived in an apartment very close to Route 9W.  The apartment was in the Cliffs, but we went to Fort Lee High School.  The "Seven Sisters Hills" took us down into Englewood and Teaneck.  My oldest two daughters were born at Holy Name Hospital in Teaneck.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

I'm familiar with Westwood - my girls went to IHA - when they were teens they spent a lot time in Ridgewood

Both lovely towns.  I'm from Bergen County and live near by and spend a lot of time in both....love Closter and Demarest too! 

My ex-husband's older sister lived in Harrington Park right across from the reservoir for decades.  My ex lived in Teaneck when we met, with his parents.  I'm very familiar with Closter and Demarest.  Very high class neighborhoods a little north of those towns, Upper Saddle River being the residence of Richard Nixon.  I worked in Westwood for three years and also lived in Park Ridge where my second husband was the municipal court judge.

There aren't many towns in Bergen County that I did not have some connection with.  I was born in Hackensack.

However, we have been in South Jersey since 1977.  Once divorced, I just couldn't afford to live anywhere in Bergen County anymore!!

Formerly Ford1224
Regular Contributor

Another sign of the times roller skating was one of my favorite things to do from early childhood on still have my skates with the key to tighten over your shoes I'm dating myself lol.    

As a teenager on the weekends that was the place to be so much fun sadly it is now a Lowes. Great memories dancing to music on skates. I was the rolling skating queen or so I thought!

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost