Esteemed Contributor

Re: Take me out to the old roller skating rink!

@Lila Belle wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@carolina2 wrote:

You're bringing back old memories.  How I loved to roller skate.

We did too!  We looked forward every Friday night to skating.  And if we were being punished for something, that's the first thing my father used to take away! 

I'll never forget the Christmas we got our own skates, all white with the big ball bearing wooden wheels!  It was like floating on a cloud to skate on them.

We used to love the "trios" best because we locked arms and skated real fast around the rink kicking our legs up like the Rockettes!

[Sigh]    Image result for peanuts characters

I think you mean CLAY wheels......unless your skates came from the 1800's and had the old boxwood wheels.................................raven

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think we all know what she meant.

I was about to say the same ....

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Lilac Tree,

My memories are of an ice skating rink. It was torn down about 10 years ago along with the horse racing track that was also on the same big piece of land.

When I had enough money I would go to the evening skates with my older sister. Remember the "couples only/men-woman only", skating to live organ music played by a man that later became my very good friend.

It was the only ice rink in our city from the 1930's till 1971 when the City Parks and Recreation built a City Facility. That too was torn down 2 years ago against my big fight with City Hall, which involved Public Meetings/TV Media and interviews by our local newspaper.

I haven't skated since about 2007 because of my many medical issues, but as you know, I still spend a lot of time at ice rinks, just not skating.

While I can change with the times, Time does not change my fond memories.

And another congrats on your long venture the other day.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Loved roller skating.  Fridays at school we skate instead of doing other "gym" activities.  Friday night and Saturday were spent at the roller rink.  White skates, black laces, black pom-poms.  Some had lights on theirs.  Miss the skating, but no way wouldI try now ... even though I really want to. LOL 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder how I'd ever get up from the floor?   These knees just couldn't take it!

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@carolina2 wrote:

You're bringing back old memories.  How I loved to roller skate.

We did too!  We looked forward every Friday night to skating.  And if we were being punished for something, that's the first thing my father used to take away! 

I'll never forget the Christmas we got our own skates, all white with the big ball bearing wooden wheels!  It was like floating on a cloud to skate on them.

We used to love the "trios" best because we locked arms and skated real fast around the rink kicking our legs up like the Rockettes!

[Sigh]    Image result for peanuts characters

I think you mean CLAY wheels......unless your skates came from the 1800's and had the old boxwood wheels.................................raven

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think we all know what she meant.

I was about to say the same ....

I knew I was wrong, but couldn't remember what the wheels were made of.  All I remember was how thrilled we were and how smooth we skated on them.  Thanks to both of you for the correct description.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Loved roller skating.  Fridays at school we skate instead of doing other "gym" activities.  Friday night and Saturday were spent at the roller rink.  White skates, black laces, black pom-poms.  Some had lights on theirs.  Miss the skating, but no way wouldI try now ... even though I really want to. LOL 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder how I'd ever get up from the floor?   These knees just couldn't take it!

My everything couldn't take it!  Smiley Wink  Might be a good way to go out!  One more dance and twirl!  LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Thanks Hckynutjohn.  However because of the very hot weather and a severe flare of RA, I have not walked in many weeks. 

And you're so right about the fond (and I would even say "beloved") memories.  I lost my beloved sister four years ago, I can't believe it's that long ago.

I can't think of skating without thinking of her. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree - I skated at the Paramus Roller Rink every weekend! I had skating outfits and my own skates complete with toe "stops" - I also went to the Hackensack Rink. Brings back memories - we had so much fun! Also bowled at Bowler City in Hackensack!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy wrote:

Grrreat... an oldies thread.

366905_kot_udivlenie_dosada_small_(www.GdeFon.ru).jpg (290×181)

;-)

Ah ha ha ha ha......................................................

Sorry Lilac Tree, the response struck me as funny.  I suffer from O.A. (Old Age).  Sorry your roller rink went down.  I used to like to watch Roller Derby when it was on in black and white broadcasting.  Don't know if your roller rink was ever featured.  Enjoyed seeing the L.A. Thunderbirds vs. The Texas Outlaws or just about anyone.  It was all enjoyable nonsense

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Lesa wrote:

I never went to indoor skating rinks, but your posts all sounded like fun. So I googled Paramus Roller Skating and found this pic.

The website is Roller Skating

paramus_skating_rink.jpg

That's the exact one we went to on Route 17 in Paramus.  There was an ice cream parlor across the highway where we used to go after skating and eat ice cream sundaes and play the juke box.  We were a happy bunch!!  We lived for Friday nights!!

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@LilacTree - I skated at the Paramus Roller Rink every weekend! I had skating outfits and my own skates complete with toe "stops" - I also went to the Hackensack Rink. Brings back memories - we had so much fun! Also bowled at Bowler City in Hackensack!

We had toe stops too!  We knew of both rinks in Hackensack, in fact my brother send me photos of all three if them.  But we lived in Paramus and that rink was newer, so we always went there.

You don't have to tell me, but I'm wondering what years you skated there.

Formerly Ford1224