Respected Contributor

Re: Take me out to the old roller skating rink!

Oh, gosh.  That takes me back to my early teens.  My favorite rink has been a Harley Davidson store for many years now.

Only last night I was thinking about how much I miss going to the drive in movies on a hot Saturday night during the summer.  We'd stop for pizza on the way, or just take snacks from home.

Some of the "good old days" weren't so great, but some really were, weren't they?

Honored Contributor

@carolina2 wrote:

You're bringing back old memories.  How I loved to roller skate.

We did too!  We looked forward every Friday night to skating.  And if we were being punished for something, that's the first thing my father used to take away! 

I'll never forget the Christmas we got our own skates, all white with the big ball bearing wooden wheels!  It was like floating on a cloud to skate on them.

We used to love the "trios" best because we locked arms and skated real fast around the rink kicking our legs up like the Rockettes!

[Sigh]    Image result for peanuts characters

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@carolina2 wrote:

We did too!  We looked forward every Friday night to skating.  And if we were being punished for something, that's the first thing my father used to take away! 

I'll never forget the Christmas we got our own skates, all white with the big ball bearing wooden wheels!  It was like floating on a cloud to skate on them.

We used to love the "trios" best because we locked arms and skated real fast around the rink kicking our legs up like the Rockettes!

I think you mean CLAY wheels......unless your skates came from the 1800's and had the old boxwood wheels.................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

Found out long ago the hard way, that if roller skates or ice skates were meant to be worn by me, I'd have been born with them. As it is, my body does best with both feet on the ground. (Besides the time my sister asked me to get off the rink, since I was embarrasing her). See?!! Told ya!!

Respected Contributor

So much fun, wonderful music, maybe a special boy or two for doubles or triples, just fun. And then there were the very good skaters, guys usually, who would be out in the middle.

Before that, I had  skates with a key and skated all over where there were good sidewalks,So much fun if you didn't fall and skin your knees.

When I retired I was 55, so where I lived, Hdsn. Nv, there was  a skating rink on Boulder Highway where they started Sr. skating lessons and what a turnout!! Of course, I had to about relearn it. 

There were some very good skaters there too, we were drawing people from all over the Valley as the man who was directing and teaching it had been a skating star in Minneapolis/ It isn't funny, but since everyone was older, a lot fell down and got hurt. Well, this old girl kept going until I felt I could buy my own shoe skates, about $300.00. insteading of renting. Before I did, I fell and really twisted my knee, so that ended my career.LOL

mm

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Esteemed Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@carolina2 wrote:

I think you mean CLAY wheels......unless your skates came from the 1800's and had the old boxwood wheels.................................raven

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think we all know what she meant.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never went to indoor skating rinks, but your posts all sounded like fun. So I googled Paramus Roller Skating and found this pic.

The website is Roller Skating

paramus_skating_rink.jpg

Honored Contributor

Loved roller skating.  Fridays at school we skate instead of doing other "gym" activities.  Friday night and Saturday were spent at the roller rink.  White skates, black laces, black pom-poms.  Some had lights on theirs.  Miss the skating, but no way wouldI try now ... even though I really want to. LOL 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Found out long ago the hard way, that if roller skates or ice skates were meant to be worn by me, I'd have been born with them. As it is, my body does best with both feet on the ground. (Besides the time my sister asked me to get off the rink, since I was embarrasing her). See?!! Told ya!!

ROTFL ... I found out that I didn't have the ankles for roller blades or ice skates, but I was H on eight wheels!  LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

I love roller skating! We used to go to the rink in Walnut Creek, CA. (Pretty sure it's condos by now) I never could get the hang of roller blades & didn't ice skate until my nephews got into it (fun but not easy!) Such happy memories - thx for posting the topic :-)