Respected Contributor

Re: Take-always From 41’s Services

I think the music was perfect!  President George HW Bush decided how his funeral was to take place.  I wonder if he also chose the music.  

My favorite quote, sorry I don't know who said it, was Barbara with her hands on her hips asking George what took him so long.  She passed this past April. 

Obviously, a loving family. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:
I had no idea Jeb Bush was married to a Mexican woman. And poor Laura has visibly aged. I believe she is a smoker and it shows. I was so proud of George W. giving that difficult eulogy. It seems like he was a great father to his children. Apparently the dislike of vegetables was inheritted by W !!

@Reever.......it's been a known fact that Jeb Bush's wife is a short little Mexican woman.  He towers over her.  And as for poor Laura, yes she has aged quite a bit....more so lately.  But, how does her being a smoker....if she is.....    does it show.  I have never heard that she does smoke or that she doesn't.  And, if she does, that is her business.....  not ours.  

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

The best part for me was the Bush family Pastor's sermon.  When he talked about James Baker rubbing President Bush's feet as he was dying. James Baker was sobbing in the cathedral. The Pastor made a beautiful analogy to what it represented.

Clearly James Baker and President Bush shared a true love and friendship. 

Their pastor was excellent.  That was very hard on James Baker.

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

When George W. gave his eulogy at the end when he broke down, I broke down and started crying,

@hsawaknow.....I did too.   

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:
I was surprised how much Laura Bush has aged. I hadn't seen her in years. Skin was wrinkled with crow's feet. I saw George W Bush choke up. Very sad.

Laura Bush has aged just like the rest of us.  She is 72 and lovely.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

The Oakridge Boys singing "Amazing Grace" was amazing. 

@RetRN.  It was amazing. I didn't know who they were and told my husband ZZ Top was singing!

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
I have also been moved by the loyalty of long-time friendships. I wonder how these friendships endured politics, economic ups and downs, and geography? Character definitely played role as repeated so often.

@Twins Mom.  I believe as you do. It was character.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Reever wrote:
I was surprised how much Laura Bush has aged. I hadn't seen her in years. Skin was wrinkled with crow's feet. I saw George W Bush choke up. Very sad.

Laura Bush has aged just like the rest of us.  She is 72 and lovely.

@mom2four0418.....so glad you came on here.  It knew she was in her early 70's....and most women in their 70's will eventually show their age.....especially if they don't have anything done to their neck or face.  We can't keep looking young forever.  I will be 79 next year, and I know I have aged a lot this past year.  But, that is ok too.

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I think the music was perfect!  President George HW Bush decided how his funeral was to take place.  I wonder if he also chose the music.  

My favorite quote, sorry I don't know who said it, was Barbara with her hands on her hips asking George what took him so long.  She passed this past April. 

Obviously, a loving family. 

From USA Today:

Each president's death since Washington has been commemorated with similar solemnity and pageantry, though the specifics and form of the memorial have evolved and varied according to the wishes of the president and his family. Still, a general framework for presidential funerals has formed over time. 

Every president is asked to begin planning his own funeral service shortly after taking office, according to the White House Historical Association. The coordination for the event is handled by the Army Military District of Washington. They traditionally last for five days and include a procession to the Capitol where the fallen president lies in state before a funeral service. 

and

A joint task force of almost 4,000 service members and civilians from all branches of the military will be putting Bush's funeral plans into place. The Joint Task Force-National Capital Region also handled the state funerals for Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, Nixon, Lyndon B. Johnson, John F. Kennedy, Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower. 

"We, the men and women of the Department of Defense, are honored and proud to support the Bush family and will do so with the utmost respect," said Maj. Gen. Michael L. Howard, who heads the joint task force, in a statement. "This state funeral is a culmination of years of planning and rehearsal to ensure the support the military renders President Bush is nothing less than a first-class tribute." 

Esteemed Contributor

I liked the missing man flyover.  The lead aircraft had the names of President Bush and Barbara.