Honored Contributor

Tables reserved for '13 Brave Fallen Soldiers'

A table lined with American flags left empty and full glasses of beer have become powerful memorials at many restaurants around the country as business owners pay tribute and raise funds for the 13 US soldiers killed in last week's ISIS-K suicide bomb attack.

At one Ohio tavern near the home of one of the slain troops, a sign warned patrons: 'Reserved for the 13 soldiers who never made it home'. At a brewing company in western New York, staff topped off the 13 reserved pints throughout the night to keep them cold and donated a portion of the restaurant's proceeds to victims' families. And an upstate resident put out place settings for the fallen heroes. 

'We can't communicate with them anymore, all we can do is recognize them with that table setting. But what we can do is say thanks to the veterans around the area for all they have done,' said Scott Perry, owner of Tuscano's Italian Kitchen in Monroe, Washington, to Q13 Fox Seattle of his restaurant's display.

'A silent yet powerful way to catch peoples' attention and make them think more deeply about the sacrifices those young men and women made,' said Bob Confer on Twitter of a display at the Red Osier in Stafford, New York

'My husband, grandfather and many in my family served. When I read that one of Ohio's own died... I wanted to make a small gesture to honor Max [Soviak] and the 12 other soldiers,' said Ironwood Cafe General Manager Shannon Vasquez of her touching display (pictured)

Reserved for our heroes: Sid's Garage in Meridian, Idaho, paid tribute

Photos of the 13 troops who died in the bombing near the Kabul airport on Thursday were presented alongside American flags and symbolic beers at Mr. Dominic's at the Lake in Rochester, New York

Texas Roadhouse in Papillion, Nebraska paid tribute to the 13 troops killed with beers and red carnations

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Tables reserved for '13 Brave Fallen Soldiers'

@KingstonsMom 

that is just so beautiful, thank you for posting the pictures.

May HE be with the families and loved ones during this awful time.

Honored Contributor

How beautiful and so very touching. A big thank you to all of the businesses who recognized these heroes.

Esteemed Contributor

So beautiful, it brings tears to my eyes.  

@KingstonsMom  - thanks for sharing these pictures.

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful tributes, I have tears rolling down my face.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Over 800,000 American service members have served in Afghanistan since October 2001. And over 2,300 American service members have died in Afghanistan during our time there. I am interested in what this restaurant did to honor them. I assume and hope this is a normal thing they do for our many fallen troops every day.

Suicide terrorist bombings and IEDs have been common in Afghanistan the entire time. Maybe we just didn't want to think or hear about it.

I wish all of these 2,300 heroes (and those of our fallen service members located elsewhere across the globe) could be honored with the same intensity and care as this 13. But many of their sacrifices have been completely ignored by our society.

We didn't hear much about them in the news until now because very few people seemed to care. And that's not even mentioning all the civilian deaths and dangers that went relatively unnoticed right up until now, when we are finally leaving, having spent over 2 Trillion dollars.
When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom   That is so touching and humbling.  😪🙏❤🗽🇺🇸

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

There are also pretty wounded soldiers, last I heard they were in Germany and I'm sure they have been moved to the States...wish someone would from the MSM inquire about them, how many, where are there?

The tables are nice!

Respected Contributor

Re: Tables reserved for '13 Brave Fallen Soldiers'.....

@Porcelain wrote:

Over 800,000 American service members have served in Afghanistan since October 2001. And over 2,300 American service members have died in Afghanistan during our time there. I am interested in what this restaurant did to honor them. I assume and hope this is a normal thing they do for our many fallen troops every day.

Suicide terrorist bombings and IEDs have been common in Afghanistan the entire time. Maybe we just didn't want to think or hear about it.

I wish all of these 2,300 heroes (and those of our fallen service members located elsewhere across the globe) could be honored with the same intensity and care as this 13. But many of their sacrifices have been completely ignored by our society.

We didn't hear much about them in the news until now because very few people seemed to care. And that's not even mentioning all the civilian deaths and dangers that went relatively unnoticed right up until now, when we are finally leaving, having spent over 2 Trillion dollars.

You are spot on with your comments and I agree with you 100%.  This is a war and has been for 20 years.  Many have died and have sustained horrible injuries. We are deeply indebted to ALL of them. In fact to ALL who have given so much in every war in history. Also, the US is not alone in this.  There are other countries involved such as the UK, Italy, Germany to name a few.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Thank you @Porcelain , I share the same thoughts as you. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson