Respected Contributor

Re: TX passes bill that requires video cameras in all SPED classrooms

I vote for SPED only, not general ed.

Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

My BFF just spent most of her summer break in a small classroom with six 8-9 year old special needs children.  She has 23+ years of experience in special ed.  Nothing ever gets her upset, but.............

During this month, she was kicked in the gut, hit in the chest area, cussed at non-stop (multiple times a day), and had a desk thrown at her from across the room.  If anything, the camera might protect her.  I really was worried for her.  What she went through was not to be believed!     Smiley Sad

jpie:  Your friend is a special kind of teacher - it takes a lot to work in SPED.  I hope the coming year will be better for her - 23 years is a long time and shows dedication to her field.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
It's not always easy to know any teacher's training and philosophy no matter what level they teach.

Our children deserve the best and should be protected especially those who may have trouble communicating problems or not being taken seriously by adults entrusted with their welfare.

Oh I agree............having an aunt who was a teacher until she retired a year ago........I can tell you that the good teachers, the one's that kids relate to and learn from........the ones that take their OWN money to supply what their students need.......who care about the environment their students are in and take their own time to provide that......they stay until retirement like my aunt.........the others don't make it long.

Our children do deserve the best..........but if you want the best......you need to realize to have the best you have to pay for the best.....that doesn't happen.....which can also be used as a gauge, as to a teacher's commitment to educating our children........those who teach do it for the love of education and sharing that love of knowledge with our children........because they ain't getting rich from doing it.....................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not talking about Spec Ed, but in general:  Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea in many classrooms, (in the most violent-prone grades).  I know, not enough money in our country, but in countries that have a surplus of funds, and if they are having trouble with physical encounters, fighting, etc., it might be a good idea.  Just to keep the problem students in line.  Just a thought........EDITED to add that I'm now thinking that it could be a good idea, for the protection of the students who might be unable to speak up if and when things aren't right/safe for them.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

My BFF just spent most of her summer break in a small classroom with six 8-9 year old special needs children.  She has 23+ years of experience in special ed.  Nothing ever gets her upset, but.............

During this month, she was kicked in the gut, hit in the chest area, cussed at non-stop (multiple times a day), and had a desk thrown at her from across the room.  If anything, the camera might protect her.  I really was worried for her.  What she went through was not to be believed!  

Smiley Sad

Now THIS is what I've been waiting for someone to speak about.  Working with SPED students for 20+ years as an assistant teacher, this is what I encountered.  I've been stepped on, hit with someone's hand, kicked, spat on (twice), purposely hit with snowball during onside duty....I could go on and on.  

For some of the students, them knowing a camera was on wouldn't matter.  Their anger issue might be part of their disability according to their IEP.  You learn to deal with it but a camera on you might make the teacher second guess herself too much.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

We were encouraged to make the student class management be affected by the design of well-prepared lessons. We were also told that enforcing proper classroom behavior is the responsibility of the teacher (not the admin). This is wrong. One can see that having a well run classroom is a team effort.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

I'm not a teacher, but I would support cameras in SPED classrooms. It would protect the students, and the teacher.
It would make teachers think twice before mistreating these vulnerable children. It would also protect teachers from being falsely accused of mistreatment.

I do not support having cameras in regular classrooms.
Respected Contributor

Violent kids should be removed from public schools, imo.  No one signs up for that.

Respected Contributor

@kittywhipped wrote:

Violent kids should be removed from public schools, imo.  No one signs up for that.

hey girl..........how ya doing...........good I hope

problem is........most states require that minors must have an education and the state will provide it..........I think these kids are put in public schools to help socialize them.........so it's kinda a catch 22..........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

Probably so they won't have to hire enough teachers to adequately educate the students. Follow the money...