Honored Contributor

Re: TV --my world is changing

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I like "Bob Hearts Abishola" on CBS.  It's light entertainment and what I enjoy right now.

@deepwaterdotter 

ITA ....  TV doesn't come up with many great comedies anymore.   Most of them are juvenile ... or just plain stupid.

So, even though it's an "old" show, we've been watching Frasier from the beginning .... they were on for 11 seasons,    The writing and the acting is superb .... much better than anything else on right now.   Surprising better. 

BTW ..... On Bob Hearts Abishola .....   this is the second successful comedy series where Billy Gardell is playing a romantic lead.   Not exactly who might first come to mind, but he's very good.  He was very good on Mike & Molly, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
While there is and always has been a certain level of garbage on TV, I appreciate that there are options that do not depict a fairyland world and a reality that has never existed.I enjoy watching the Andy Griffith show as much as anyone else but I don’t think it’s healthy for all TV shows to pretend there is no real world.

@bikerbabe 

Now dont get me wrong.....I dont like the real syrupy stuff myself.... I never could watch sitcoms or some of the Hallmark movies that were so sweet you needed to get an insulin shot to watch....  Im just looking for a good story that makes me laugh (much like the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Newhart, D I C K V A N D I K E Show etc etc..... plain old good writing.....)  Even Leave It To Beaver was a bit more realistic the boys actually had quarrels and fights, didnt get along on occasion, got in trouble at school, argued with classmates, and their friends were a bit devious and a bad influence on them...A lot of the storylines were from the writer's own childhood experiences....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

I’m up for a Hallmark movie now and then. 😂
I guess I see Leave it to Beaver differently. Cute but also annoying. 😂
I suppose I am left scratching my head when people talk about going back to simpler times. For some of us, it was never simple. I remember as a child thinking that none of those TV families ever looked like my family.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
@Spurt

I’m up for a Hallmark movie now and then. 😂
I guess I see Leave it to Beaver differently. Cute but also annoying. 😂
I suppose I am left scratching my head when people talk about going back to simpler times. For some of us, it was never simple. I remember as a child thinking that none of those TV families ever looked like my family.

@bikerbabe 

LOL...your right, instead of Ward and June Cleaver.  And gee our family was never that dressed up all the time!!! ...LOL....  

But June could be quite devious on occasion--- one particular time Eddie had annoyed June more than usual she admitted she was going to put mayonnaise on Eddie Haskell's sandwich on purpose....(Eddie told her he was allergic to mayonnaise) LOL.....And she was a bit mean to the boys because they didnt act properly in front of her Aunt Martha and her friend...

I think Father Knows Best was the most unrealistic.....the dad was more involved in his teenage daughter's life than even the mother..... I couldnt picture my dad doing some of the things he did.... my dad certainly wouldn't have held my hand and consoled me because I didnt win "the first place prize" or when there was a broken relationship with a boy in high school....SMH....But more "modern" families were no better....my parents never  said "groovy" my mom didnt wear miniskirts, my dad didnt don the lastest hairstyle for men, and wear "groovy" clothes like the Brady Bunch....But neither were they rude, crude and lewd either like today's parents in sitcoms....If they want to be a bit realistic I think there's middle ground that could and should be explored...JMHO

Nice chatting with you....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

I believe what's happened to TV is simply the public finally awakening to the true banality of it, due to shifting our priorities during these troubled times. I used to just shrug my shoulders at the lack of creativity, the constant same plot line being replayed across the networks, the ever deepening levels of violence and bloodsport. Now, thanks to being awakened by the pandemic to the fragility of human life, I have ZERO interest in a medium that has devoted itself to appealing to the lowest common denominator of our species. Don't need it. Don't want it. 

Well said. I live in a household with others who watch and pay for cable. If it were up to me...I'd dump it in a heartbeat. As others have said, sitcoms are raunchy, dramas are overdone and repetitive. Reality tv is pure trash...sorry but I just don't get these shows and their continued popularity. One, in particular, I find super trashy and distasteful but it keeps coming back year after year so someone must be watching. News, sports, commercials, even some kids shows...lets just say many of them aren't what they seem. I will leave it at that.

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Honored Contributor

Oh, hey @Spurt ,  I just belatedly got your shout-out!  Something weird possibly going on with notifications-- not getting some, and then some, that I've seen before, blink repeatedly at me while I'm reading or writing a thread, ha.  This system is koo-koo sometimes.

Very much agree with your assessment of entertainment's decline.  So many factors involved, but the outcome is, there's very little on the drama or comedy side, that would draw me to watch current programming of that kind.  There's so often a lack of taste, discernment, lack of a broad context, and there tends to be a blinkered or very narrow world view that discounts or demonizes those who think differently.

Glad to explore other alternatives for amusement!    

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Thank for you response..... I always keep a look out for your posts on the classic TCM movies.... 

Esteemed Contributor

@EastCoastGal wrote:

@SilleeMee .... I too don't understand why they must show the needle going into a person's arm every time the news talks about the vaccination!! It makes me feel FAINT !!! I think we all know what happens when we are vaccinated !! I recently had a different shot at a new doctor's office and l actually was so fearful, l didn't want it and put up a fuss !! The nurse had to tell me to relax or it WOULD hurt !! Geezz anyway! Thanks news stations!

@EastCoastGal 

You're not the only one who hates seeing that!  I've started to just look away when they show that, and I don't have any particular fear of needles.  It's just that I don't look at the needle going into my own arm when I get a shot, and I don't want to see it going into anyone else's arm either.  And they seem to show it on every single vaccine news story.  Ugh.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

Pandamec--snow storm after snow storm...I find I dont, yes even cant watch shows that are based on the "Lesser" side of human nature.

SVU, true crime, and even political news (lol). I want to be uplifted, made joyful, my soul enriched.

Anyone else feel this way?

It seems it is to easy for film makers to tell a dark story, full of violence or crazy special effets.  Where are the human stories. Im not looking for pollyanna....just the more positive side of us humans

Pollyanna is one of my favorite moviesSmiley Happy  Anyway I only watch vintage tv, like tvland, me tv, I love westerns too, the older westerns.  I don't need to see blood to know that someone is shot.  

I loved watching Touched by an Angel on Sundays.  Tyler Perry's shows use to be uplifting.  Now even some of his shows are violent.  So I stick with safe channels.  Have a nice day ladiesSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I remember reading that during the Great Depression (1929+),  people flocked to movie houses for the big screen .... and comedy teams like Laurel and Hardy and Abbott and Costello were very popular.  People needed to escape real life, if only for a couple hours.  

With the kwap and violence being cranked out these days, it must be based on ratings, although I don't know why these would be desirable viewing .... not for me, anyway.