Honored Contributor

Re: TV --my world is changing

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I like "Bob Hearts Abishola" on CBS.  It's light entertainment and what I enjoy right now.

@deepwaterdotter : Also "The Neighborhood," on the same night and channel.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Comedies are so crude. Dramas and medical shows are filled with gore. Game shows have annoying contestants. News is biased and depressing. Soap operas are ridiculous. I get the most satisfaction watching retro shows. Tonight I had the Flintstones on!

@AuntG 

I totally agree with EVERYTHING you said!!! 👍

Even the sports networks have turned political....

I enjoy watching the retro shows too----  Decades TV with good entertaining comedies, (Mary Tyler Moore, Rob & Laura Petrie, The Odd Couple, Newhart and yes even the Flintstones (and soon the Jetsons) along with Leave It To Beaver on ME TV and other old retro shows on Antenna TV....I may watch a movie from the 40's on TCM or a cooking show on Create (PBS)....

The newest thing you cite (Newhart) was last produced in 1990.  Hard to believe the last 31 years are just no good.  The 1940s that you prefer were over 70 years ago.  A lot has happened since then.  So TV has changed too.

Trusted Contributor

@froggy wrote:

We don't watch much network TV - only Bull on CBS because my DH likes it for some reason. But it just annoys me no end that the characters wear masks about half the time. Geez. I watch TV to get away from reality.

@froggy  I couldn't agree more.  How in the world the people that  produce these television shows miss the fact that we watch them for entertainment purposes?  Good grief, take off the masks on these shows! We've aleady stopped watching the shows that continue to wear the masks.

Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

@froggy wrote:

We don't watch much network TV - only Bull on CBS because my DH likes it for some reason. But it just annoys me no end that the characters wear masks about half the time. Geez. I watch TV to get away from reality.

@froggy  I couldn't agree more.  How in the world the people that  produce these television shows miss the fact that we watch them for entertainment purposes?  Good grief, take off the masks on these shows! We've aleady stopped watching the shows that continue to wear the masks.

@12andcounting I've never seen anyone on tv wear masks. Probably because I don't watch any sitcoms and I have up on Criminal Minds and any of those.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Comedies are so crude. Dramas and medical shows are filled with gore. Game shows have annoying contestants. News is biased and depressing. Soap operas are ridiculous. I get the most satisfaction watching retro shows. Tonight I had the Flintstones on!

@AuntG 

I totally agree with EVERYTHING you said!!! 👍

Even the sports networks have turned political....

I enjoy watching the retro shows too----  Decades TV with good entertaining comedies, (Mary Tyler Moore, Rob & Laura Petrie, The Odd Couple, Newhart and yes even the Flintstones (and soon the Jetsons) along with Leave It To Beaver on ME TV and other old retro shows on Antenna TV....I may watch a movie from the 40's on TCM or a cooking show on Create (PBS)....

The newest thing you cite (Newhart) was last produced in 1990.  Hard to believe the last 31 years are just no good.  The 1940s that you prefer were over 70 years ago.  A lot has happened since then.  So TV has changed too.

@NYCLatinaMe 

Im talking about the Bob Newhart Show that ran from 1972-1978 with Bob Newhart and Suzanne Pleshette....

And yes, JMHO, but I think TV started to go downhill when Norman Lear took over and started to incorporate news headlines and current topics into comedy and it was more like being lectured on what I should think on the issues.....and other shows followed suit....I was never a big fan of All In The Family, Maude, or Roseanne.(too crude, rude, lewd, and not funny JMHO)...And Gary Marshall added to the decline when he went with live studio audiences which made TV viewing more like watching a play, AND it limited the plots too.... And TV  has declined further -----today's plots seem to center on bathroom or risque humor....

Why do you think retro/classic TV channels keep  springing up all over, so Im not alone in my taste in TV.  Meanwhile broadcast TV ratings keep going down the tubes and is mostly "talent contests" these days....And have you noticed the new TV shows dont last very long either--do to lack of interest/ratings and are panned by the critics....Woman Frustrated 

As far as movies from the 40's.... These were movies from my grandmother's day...but what I like about them is how well written the characters are and stories are CREATIVE, INTERESTING, and  EXCELLENT...(dont focus on gore, no slow-mo of people being killed or even eaten, and love is portrayed with something called ACTING instead of leaving nothing to the imagination) . I especially love the little "gems" without the big name stars with interesting stories that keep you guessing and have a surprise ending...Actors like Virginia Bruce, and Ginger Rogers who made some good movies that didnt involve dancing with Fred Astaire, there's Barbara Stanwyck, Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, William Holden, Myrna Loy, and Jimmy Stewart  etc etc...Yes, times have changed but these movies are classics and resulted in a whole channel for movie fans and watchers of all ages....(can I get an "amen" from @Oznell  ) 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I basically stopped watching regular tv because of the kids. We've always watched Animal Planet, Disney and Discovery Kids. Now Disney is unwatchable because it's changed so much, the shows aren't funny and the writing is terrible, so now we watch the old Disney shows on Firestick. 

I tried to watch regular tv when the kids aren't around but after years of, I guess, being in "a bubble" watching only tame kid-friendly shows, it's shocking what they show now. I just can't do it. 

Sometimes I think to myself, no wonder everyone is so depressed

Honored Contributor

While there is and always has been a certain level of garbage on TV, I appreciate that there are options that do not depict a fairyland world and a reality that has never existed.I enjoy watching the Andy Griffith show as much as anyone else but I don’t think it’s healthy for all TV shows to pretend there is no real world.
Regular Contributor

I got hooked on the Smithonsian Channel this past year....I particularly like Aerial America where they dedicat a 1 hour show to each state and it's history.  My sister and I go on long road trips once or twice a year so it gives me new ideas on places to see along the way.  After stopping in Mt. Airy, North Carolina last year which is the town Mayberry is based on , I can't resist watching The Andy Griffity show once in a while!  I'd like to go back to those simpler times some days.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we had calm peaceful lives that didn't feel dangerous, dystopian shows and crime and murder shows added a little spice. Now real life is edging into some scary territory at the fringes and I think we all need a lot more comfort. Maybe not completely sanitized comfort without any friction to it, but a promise of a happy ending at least.

To me lack of cynicism in a show feels fresh. Dark nihilism is predictable and a slog to get through. Why waste my time? I prefer to feel better at the end of a piece of entertainment, and that problems are destined to be overcome, not afraid or bleak. We need encouraging content with complex and realistic but fundamentally good characters.

Edited to add: I just realized this last sentence describes some current sitcoms, but also a LOT of classic movies. No wonder I'm drawn to them. Korean dramas and food competition shows as well. People working hard to overcome problems, encountering obstacles (without gratuitous depictions of suffering is my preference), and getting past them to their goal.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
While there is and always has been a certain level of garbage on TV, I appreciate that there are options that do not depict a fairyland world and a reality that has never existed.I enjoy watching the Andy Griffith show as much as anyone else but I don’t think it’s healthy for all TV shows to pretend there is no real world.

Yup, I can lose myself in all the charm of Andy Griffith but I'm also guillty of watching Discovery ID too much...aka the murder & mayhem channel.  Ideally I like to watch something entertaining and be able to take away something I didn't know when itt's over so the History Channel, Nat Geo and Discovery shows are some of my favorites.