Esteemed Contributor

Re: TV --my world is changing

The reason TV is lousy is because production has been limited by the pandemic.

I have been desperately looking for drama myself.  Grey's Anatomy is about all there is and it is on hiatus.  Watching old Star Trek (H&I) and Murder She Wrote episodes, and some dramas I recorded and never had a chance to watch.  Star Trek is uplifting, but none of the other dramas I would recommend as uplifting and joyful.  (Nancy Drew anyone?)

If you have cable, check to see what is available on demand.  Maybe something you meant to watch and haven't had a chance.  Premium channels HBO and Showtime have drama available on demand like Big Little Lies, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Billions, though I don't know if any of this is uplifting.  They are popular.

Maybe the Hallmark and Lifetime Networks are more your taste?  Cozi, whatever that is, is running old shows that you may find joyful.

For enrichment, PBS is running a lot of Great Performances and other shows that I like, such as Finding Your Roots, American Experience, America Reframed and Nova.  Much there is enlightening and/or uplifting.

I'll take recommendations for drama shows!

Honored Contributor

I don't ever watch news except local at six and world at six thirty. If Columbo is on I watch it. I also watch TCM if a good movie is on or another channel I have for old movies. PBS is another. Seems like nothing is on tv anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy the True Crime shows...following what happened and how the crime was solved. But,there are a lot of other choices on cable for people to choose from, e.g., history, cooking, sports, movies (new and old), Smithsonian, TV shows from the 50s, 60s, 70s and later, music of all sorts, religion....your choice!

There is sure more available than just the "lesser" side!

Respected Contributor

I can't enjoy most of the crime shows, if kids are involved, no way.  Nor court shows.  Nothing that takes life too seriously as entertainment or too silly, either, which leave out most all sitcoms with laugh tracks.  

Give me a doumentary about non violent history, science or general interest, a good English whodunnit is fine or most any good mystery where people aren't tortured.  

There are a couple news programs I don't miss because they are informative, not dramatic or misleading.  I love Finding Your Roots on PBS.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee .... I too don't understand why they must show the needle going into a person's arm every time the news talks about the vaccination!! It makes me feel FAINT !!! I think we all know what happens when we are vaccinated !! I recently had a different shot at a new doctor's office and l actually was so fearful, l didn't want it and put up a fuss !! The nurse had to tell me to relax or it WOULD hurt !! Geezz anyway! Thanks news stations!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ProudMa 

I DVR every program I watch, meaning I watch only what I want, when I want. I like crime shows/political news/westerns/WWII movies /documentaries and many others. Hockey games of course.

At lot of the world around the country is changing for sure, but I have little or no control over most of those things.

My life has changed little in the last year, and what has, doesn't effect much of my life. Now ice skating 3 times a week? For me is the big down side. TV shows? Not at all.

Do I feel that way? No.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I agree with most of you...network TV is simply awful!  I can't watch most shows and will turn on the Q if I want some background noise or I'm interested in a product. 

Mainstream news is so awful!  It's depressing and they only focus on two or three things...nothing else is going on in the world.  I also can't stand seeing a vaccine needle going into someone's arm twenty times an hour.  I've begun to limit watching it and really only do so to check the weather.

I've been watching more Netflix, Amazon Prime & HBO in the evenings.  We can choose the type of shows to watch all with no commercials and no matter what the genre is all are without masks!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I just bought myself a Kindle and I am going to take a break from the TV

Honored Contributor

I am tired of seeing all the political sniping and even the same old stuff about the virus.  I watch less and less news -- it's depressing and boring.  I belive in knowing what is going on in the world, but it's just repetitive.  As far as watching shows, I pretty much watch the same kinds of shows I have always watched.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

Big change in my TV watching over the past year. I keep on HGTV, Food Network, and QVC for background noise.  Never in my life had I seen so much gloom and doom on TV as this past year. So much hate on TV...better off not watching.