Respected Contributor

Re: TRUMAN CAPOTE'S ELEGANT LADIES

@Johnnyeager Fabulous and very interesting book one of the great NY residences.  Fascinating history!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell After In Cold Blood was published, Capote was unable to write another novel.  His drinking escalated and he became an alcoholic and heavily into drugs.  He lived in Sagaponack (near Bridgehampton) when I lived in East Hampton and had so many DUI that he lost his license and was bared from Bobby Van's as well.  One thought is that he knew he would never ever achieve the level of writing of In Cold Blood.

For me his worst crime was what he did to Babe Paley, he betrayed her, eviscerated her.  She never spoke to anyone of her private life, she held it all in, never commented even to her friends of Bill Paley's adulterous relationships even to her friends.  She confided in him ad he held that trust for many, many years until his drinking got out of hand and all his attempts to write another novel failed.  So he made notes for Answered Prayers which was supposed to be a "novel" but became an article published as "excerpts" that destroyed Babe Paley personally and the other casualty was Anne Woodward who committed suicide when it was published.  Slim Keith was furious but had little effect upon her, at that time, she had a drinking problem as well.  She had a very close relationship with Bill Blass that ended because she was putting so much pressure on him that they get married and he had no interest whatsoever.  So he ended the friendship completely.

Amanda Burden, as you stated had a well earned, high reputation as an Urban Planner for the city of New York.  After her divorce from Carter, she married Steve Ross which no one could understand after 3 years divorced him.  She was with Charlie Rose for 40 years (before married to Ross and after divorcing him) until his sexual abuse scandal.

One more bit of trivia before I end this novella!  The picture of Babe Paley is in an evening gown by Charles James.  My husband worked for Charles James during 1951 through 1958.  This dress was made for the Eisenhower Inaugural Ball during the time my husband worked for him.  Okay,  I'll give you a rest from reading.  Always, love and enjoy your posts!

Honored Contributor

Whoa, @Somertime ,  as usual that is some fascinating back story you have there.   Your inside info is always so great!   Your husband must have had some fabulous stories to tell from that association.

Didn't know that about Slim Keith and Bill Blass!!  I wonder why she would even think he would go for that.  Of course, she didn't include THAT in her book....

The decline of Truman Capote is unutterably sad.

Respected Contributor

Like so many talented people, he was odd, eccentric, damaged and a bit out there! Yet, I love his work.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

Do you all think it's true that he wrote Breakfast at Tiffany's with Marilyn Monroe in mind?

That's a rumor....

Honored Contributor

Interesting thread... If already noted, sorry, I missed it. Casting for Feuds...

Naomi Watts as Babe Paley, Chloe Sevigny as CZ Guest, Tom Hollander as Capote, Diane Lane as Slim Kieth, Calista Flockhart as Lee Radiwill, Demi Moore as Anne Woodward and Molly Ringwald as Joanne Carson... Should be fun...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Just saw an old (ahem) Richard Cavett with Truman Capote as a guest. 

He makes those strange sounds that even closed captioning mentions or notes them....lol.  I'm not even sure what word to use, but his sighs are picked up on closed captioning.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow, about Truman Capote, I guess I rode the literary train from around 1970 forward. 

I will always love his plays, and In Cold Blood was impactful, but Truman Capote and his entire entourage, including the swans, emerge as very small in my mature mind, all leading very narrow, narcissistic lives.

Esteemed Contributor

Capote's principal inspiration for Holly Golightly in the novella Breakfast at Tiffany's is now widely accepted to be his friend and fellow southerner Marguerite Littman.  He was also friends with Marilyn at the time and Holly's physical description (blonde in the story) may have some basis in Marilyn.

He did, however, aggressively lobby for Marilyn to star in the film.  He felt betrayed by Paramount when they cast Audrey, finding her unsuitable.  Of course,  Audrey is now considered iconic.

While it has been reported that Marilyn was disappointed,  it was also said that she turned the role down at the urging of acting coach Paula Strasberg.  Strasberg said that Holly's character (and profession) was negative for Marilyn and pushed her to accept The Misfits instead.

incollage_20210501_160355803-e1619881859324.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Capote has stated that Holly Golightly was based on Carol Marcus Matthau who was blonde.  I don't think Holly was based on any one person but a compilation of several women he knew but Marilyn Monroe was not one of them.