Honored Contributor

Re: TRUMAN CAPOTE'S ELEGANT LADIES

Two of the women -- Babe and Slim -- died of lung cancer.  Smoking was probably instrumental in keeping weight off.  

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty,  I love your comments-- so true!   You and @Sooner  are discerning about Capote's writing.  I love that short story too,  "A Christmas Memory"  about his cousin "Sook".   Deeply felt and touching.

Agree about the timelessness of so much of the clothing.  Such superb quality then, just in the way things hung, and were draped on the body! 

Trusted Contributor

@SoonerDid you know he died in Joanne Carson's house???

Honored Contributor

In addition to this book under discussion...

images.jpg

....Readers might also be interested in Lawrence Leamer's book on the same topic, "Capote's Women" which I think is more recent, maybe 2021:

Screenshot 2022-10-09 at 23-23-49 Capote's Women A True Story of Love, Betrayal, and a Swan Song for an Era Leamer, Laurenc[...].png

And finally, Slim Keith's memoir, where I first read of all this years ago, includes much on the Truman's "Answered Prayers" scandal.   Slim was portrayed in Capote's fictionalized account as "Lady Ina Coolbirth",  and was understandably furious with his betrayal of his friends.  Her own book is great for her takes on classic Hollywood too--  her ex, Howard Hawks, Bogey and Bacall, her early friendship with William Powell, etc.:

7055557_orig.png

Valued Contributor

Horrible, immoral people.

Honored Contributor

What I find fascinating, also, is how this "ladies of leisure" phenomenon has evolved over time.

Babe Paley's daughter, Amanda Mortimer Burden, might be one of the last generations of frantically social, photographed, quoted and followed, members of the species. 

Right on cue, she married another of its members, Carter Burden, Commodore Vanderbilt descendant-- and great nephew of Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (!)

5645393_orig.jpg

They were a "golden couple", in fact, dubbed New York's "fun couple",   seen everywhere.   

But both ultimately broke with the past-- he went into reform politics and public service, before dying young in his fifties.  And Amanda, once also a "Best Dressed" denizen like her mother, became an acclaimed urban planner, doing work on waste management and working to improve conditions in New York City.

1109commentary-300px.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Oznell   I read an article years ago in Vanity Fair about Capote and his coterie of  married, wealthy women.  I do believe that Nancy Reagan was particular friends with Babe and Slim and probably Capote himself.  Thanks for posting.  

Honored Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@SoonerDid you know he died in Joanne Carson's house???

@BoopOMatic I think they virtually lived together for quite some time.  I guess she took him in.  But when you think he and Johnny Carson were brilliant minds, but let's say "difficult" individuals?  Must have been her type.

Honored Contributor

@Elodie2 ,  agreed, I do believe that Nancy Reagan knew that crowd, and hobnobbed with them when in New York.  And another I forgot,  formidable and funny socialite Pat Buckley, wife of Bill Buckley.

2009-05-06-soss_buckley_01_h.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  when I saw that photo of Slim Keith I flashed to a book I just read EVERYONE SAID WE WERE CRAZY. it is about Dennis Hopper and Brooke Hayward. It is so fascinating.  Who new Dennis Hopper was one of the most prolific art collectors ever.  He literally infused the modern art world. It is all about his marriage to Brooke Haywood  She was the daughter of Leland Haywood the biggest movie producer the time. Leland was married a few times but Brooke's mother was a huge socialite, and knew Slim.  Anyway, when Leland was done with her, he married Slim Keith. I think Slim and Brooke actually were friends later.  In the book it talks about Slim too how she cleared a room when she walked in.  She was the most beautiful mesmerizing woman anyone could look at.   But she left Leland and married a count or something.  What a life.  Brooke and Dennis  had one of the most wild crazy marrieages ever.  they lived in Laurel Canyon I think, and held the most coveted parties. People just dropped by for drug infueled evenings. Everyone dropped by from Cary Grant to the stones, the Beatles, Jane Fonda and you name it. Jane Fonda and Brooke were BFF, they met as grade school kids.  It even talks t about Henry and Janes relationship, and how Henry Fonda was cold, withdrawn father with little time for kids, or their mother.   A good man, I guess he wasn't capable. I listed to the book on Audible. But if you love Hollywood it is well worth the read. At the end of the book you get a glimpse how Dennis just slipped into mental frenzy