Respected Contributor

TO. SCENT. OR NOT. TO. SCENT.....

Had been searching for a particular perfume for about a year.  Finally decided to go on line and ordered it from perfume dot com.

Price was very reasonable and it came protectively packaged.  Didn’t need the top so the tester was perfect for me.  The scent was the real deal.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: TO. SCENT. OR NOT. TO. SCENT.....

[ Edited ]

By tester do you mean it was used?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Testers were manufactured to sit on the counter of a store for people to sample.  They are not used.  They are just in a different type of bottle, usually in a spray bottle with no lid and no box included.

Honored Contributor

Are you saying that the company sells the tester's and not the bottles that customers purchase?

Honored Contributor

If there is a particular perfume that comes in a very fancy bottle, most likely with a very fancy cap that comes off before you get to the nozzle, the tester bottles do not have the cap.   It is not used.    

I purchased a tester bottle of Marilyn Miglin Pheromone perfume once.

It's awful.

Then I sold it on Ebay as used.   Sold quickly, got my $$$ back

@chrystaltree wrote:

Are you saying that the company sells the tester's and not the bottles that customers purchase?

Honored Contributor

Testers are very popular on sites like fragrancenet or fragranceX and on ebay. They are not used; they are basically overstock sent to retailers. And yes, they are usually in a plain box and often without a cap -- contrary to what you might think, a cap is not necessary for shelf life.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Had been searching for a particular perfume for about a year.  Finally decided to go on line and ordered it from perfume dot com.

Price was very reasonable and it came protectively packaged.  Didn’t need the top so the tester was perfect for me.  The scent was the real deal.

@jlkz

???    So what is the question?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I think she is doing a clever takeoff of a quotation in Shakespeare's Hamlet--"To be, or not to be, that is the question."  So to (buy the) tester scent or not to take a chance on purchasing it.  

@jlkz  Did I follow your line of thought correctly?

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  I think she is doing a clever takeoff of a quotation in Shakespeare's Hamlet--"To be, or not to be, that is the question."  So to (buy the) tester scent or not to take a chance on purchasing it.  

@jlkz  Did I follow your line of thought correctly?

@Tinkrbl44

@aroc3435

@roc3435:  tracking perfectly !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill